Mogi67

Radiohead LP9

how bad did u fuck up itt  

48 members have voted

1. 1. how bad did u fuck up itt

• extremely bad (for luke)
    • not that bad

TKOL was pretty shit, they were making the kind of music that doesn't play to Radioheads strengths but especially Yorke (see also AFP and TMB) seems hellbent on making these days. It's nice and all that they were having fun but unfortunatly I wasn't. 

Also, it wasn't just the musical direction but some of these songs were always gonna be mediocre. I mean Morning mr Magpie started as a folky tune like 12 years ago, ended up being a rhytmn based semi-krautrocker on TKOL and when I saw them live on the TKOL-tour it suddenly became a grunge-rocker. This was never gonna be anything more than a b-side, no matter how they recorded it.

Also, the space lab meets forest-y production just didn't work. As a result a couple of songs (Bloom, Lotus Flower, even a simple and straightforward tune like Give up the Ghost) ended up sounding like shit. They probably should hire a new producer but Yorke can't do anything these days whitout Nigel Godrich and apparently Godrich was the only reason the band got in the studio for TKOL in the first place.

And that's probably the biggest question for LP9, not whether they have another good album in them but more if they all still want to bring their best game for Radiohead now that they're older and most of them have families and side projects and shit. Like Chernobyl said they weren't in the best zone after recording IR because it was an excruciating process but it resulted in an excellent album. Same thing can be said about Kid/Amnesiac etc. Radiohead isn't the kind of band that casually delivers classic albums by spending 3 weeks in the studio, they really need to put their heart into it and I wonder if they still want to do that.

Moon and Chernobyl Two like this

Also, it wasn't just the musical direction but some of these songs were always gonna be mediocre. I mean Morning mr Magpie started as a folky tune like 12 years ago, ended up being a rhytmn based semi-krautrocker on TKOL and when I saw them live on the TKOL-tour it suddenly became a grunge-rocker. This was never gonna be anything more than a b-side, no matter how they recorded it.

Well, it was a lot more than a b-side since it's track 2 on the record! :lol:

Why hasn't CI merged this yet?

There's a new Modest Mouse album due out in a few months. Like, legit real news of a real album. No new thread for that.

Radiohead are just in the studio. Again. Who knows if or when anything is going to come into fruition? A thread at this point is both jumping the gun an unnecessary clutter.

Sorry I'm being a jerk about this, but I don't want to see any of that Main-level creepiness ending up here. This IS NOT a Radiohead forum. It is a music / film / art / culture forum. And nothing is going to scare people away quicker than a bunch of Radiohead stans.

I'll stan for Radiohead all day, but NOT in multiple threads.

:pah:

It's a forum derived from a radiohead forum...

what's a stan?

Yeah, there are a lot of reasons this forum came into being. But one of them was cutting that cord to Radiohead so that the greater community on that forum didn't have to be tied with a band a lot of them didn't even listen to any more. That board is fading into oblivion in no small part because it is tied up with an aging band.

Radiohead still is one of the biggest (or probably the biggest) internet music nerd band of the last 20 years so having an extra thread isn't that weird. People still talk a lot about this band even if they are probably past their prime.

I doubt I would be so up in arms if there was an announcement of another album. But there isn't. Just speculation that there will be since they are in the studio.

Maybe they will decide that they hate each other and break up? Maybe 10 years later the abortive attempts from these sessions will be released after years of legal wrangling? Maybe they will just put out a bunch of singles to defy expectations?

Who knows. They've been in the studio at least two times since King of Limbs and no albums or anything was released from those sessions. That people think otherwise this time is just that insane Main stanning where every cryptic Tweet from Thom is some clue. Remember TKOL part 2? :lol:

I just want to keep that silliness far away from here. This thread is hella premature. Knowing what we know about this band, it may be another two or three years and several more abortive studio sessions. Or they will drop something with little notice next week. Pointless to hate two threads at this stage of the game.

Think I've made all my points. I'm shutting up now. I love you all.

it's not premature speculation. They are making a new record.

they've had plans to meet up during the fall to work on a new album since the beginning of this year

and unless I'm mistaken this is the first time they've been in the studio since the TKOL tour

And if you listen on a Pono you can hear thom yorke in the background repeating in a creepy voice, "by if you think this is over then you're wrong i meant the song separator and not the album it was on, neil young rules"

Why hasn't CI merged this yet?

There's a new Modest Mouse album due out in a few months. Like, legit real news of a real album. No new thread for that.

Radiohead are just in the studio. Again. Who knows if or when anything is going to come into fruition? A thread at this point is both jumping the gun an unnecessary clutter.

Sorry I'm being a jerk about this, but I don't want to see any of that Main-level creepiness ending up here. This IS NOT a Radiohead forum. It is a music / film / art / culture forum. And nothing is going to scare people away quicker than a bunch of Radiohead stans.

I'll stan for Radiohead all day, but NOT in multiple threads.

:pah:

think you might be overreacting just a tiiiiiny bit.

But that's cool. I mean, hell, we have 2 Nick Drake threads and no one's said SHIT!

LIKE WHAT'S THAT ABOUT?

There isn't a horde of insane Nick Drake fans that I am worried about.

There's no official album announcement. Just news that they might be in the same room together with instruments. It's both clutter and premature. If you don't even have an album title, it's probably a good sign that it is too soon.

You'd be scared too if you've ever been to main.

This is a joke, as I know you are a big deal on Main. So of course you would disagree with me and my being alarmed by this.

THEY ARE COMING!!

There isn't a horde of insane Nick Drake fans that I am worried about.

There's no official album announcement. Just news that they might be in the same room together with instruments. It's both clutter and premature. If you don't even have an album title, it's probably a good sign that it is too soon.

You'd be scared too if you've ever been to main.

This is a joke, as I know you are a big deal on Main. So of course you would disagree with me and my being alarmed by this.

THEY ARE COMING!!

:huh:

Pretty sure like 95% main hates me, tbh. And main right now is mostly just Plopsack, Zane and Kiks right now anyway. It's kind of the worst place ever.

I just don't want this board to be tied to a band on the tail end of its career.

Like I said, I'm still a huge Radiohead fan. I'm def. excited about any potential release, etc. But I'm more excited about the shape of music to come and this board with its contributors of different backgrounds is important to that plan.

We'll merge it if mogi wants us to.  If someone made another thread about Radiohead's upcoming album specifically I imagine I would merge it with this one, but I don't want to be terribly gung-ho about these things.

This is a forum with a lot of Radiohead fans on it.  I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing, it doesn't necessarily make this place a Radiohead fan site...  No more than it would be a Beach Boys or Aphex Twin fan site.

I really dug the vibe on TKOL - it was way chiller/less serious/less of a huge statement, which I think they definitely needed to do post-IR to get rid of all that fucking expectation and "Best Band Ever" nonsense. Plus they're clearly actually having FUN with this band again, which is cool - the mood when I saw them in 2008 on the IR tour vs. 2012 on the TKOL tour was night and day. In 2012 it was mostly dancy, energetic stuff, and they looked like they were having a blast. In 2008 they were playing shit like Fake Plastic Trees and Just and did not really seem to give a fuck about them - and I don't really blame them.

Pretty much every bit of weird art ever is somehow connected to Radiohead, if you think about it.

I'd like listening to the album while looking at the tree.

An unusual idea came to me today;

i guess partially the idea is that the music would feel very unique when looking at photos or artwork of these; the colors, just also that somehow we know of them from childhood and into where we are now, they are our neighbors in place, yet there is still a lot of mystery about each of them!

Bloom ~ Sol

Morning mr magpie ~ Mercury

Little by little ~ Venus

Supercollider ~ Gaia, Aquarius, Orpheus ... here, any name new or already existing will do ^___^

Feral ~ Mars

Lotus flower ~ Jupiter

Codex ~ Saturn

Give up the ghost ~ Uranus

Separator ~ Neptune

combining visual ideas with music can be simple but does have a unique effect on the experience!  i feel like these corresponding ones could be moved around as well.  little by little could go with mercury, lotus flower could go with saturn, and many other possibilities!  music is special on its own, yet, adding interchangeable visual elements does have unique effects..!

We'll merge it if mogi wants us to.  If someone made another thread about Radiohead's upcoming album specifically I imagine I would merge it with this one, but I don't want to be terribly gung-ho about these things.

Well make it official policy cause CI said we couldn't even have a separate voting thread for a band's favourite songs.

Also he's incredibly gung-ho about emoticons. :link:

:angry:

e: link is back! I presume we have Palo to thank :wub:

shakes likes this