Mogi67

Radiohead LP9

how bad did u fuck up itt  

48 members have voted

1. 1. how bad did u fuck up itt

• extremely bad (for luke)
    • not that bad

Well make it official policy cause CI said we couldn't even have a separate voting thread for a band's favourite songs.

Also he's incredibly gung-ho about emoticons. :link:

:angry:

Sounds like somebody needs a hug :)

So does that make Staircase Pluto?

I think either The butcher or Staircase could go with Pluto.

i did try this Codex through Separator and there is some change in how the music and images of planets feel.  Codex with Saturn is really unique, there is kind of an inkblot effect but the play of symmetry is between sound and light! 

the ftb version of daily mail sounds good enough to pass as a studio recording if i didn't know it wasn't beforehand

i thought staircase could've used some more polish as they used the ftb recording for that too but it's not bad

pluto is so a planet!

you couldn't have planned it!

:angry:

8 planets? that just SOUNDS / Screams whack!

it's gotta be 9!

my very sexcellent mother just served ash NEIN pizza!

just remember the word MVEMSHNUMP!

http://www.stereogum.com/1727487/thom-yorke-may-have-made-20m-on-tomorrows-modern-boxes/news/

love how he rants about record labels and spotify being the terrible gatekeepers of music yet only someone with his own built in capital could pull of something like this.

I know that's an old saw but still. 

yeah this really bothers me, and has since in rainbows. bands like radiohead are complete outliers. using the results of an experiment they do as indicative of a bigger picture is absurd.

moose likes this

i have no problem with artists making bank like that. hes right in that it should be the norm

just this thinkpiece bait that cuz thom yorke made millions doing it this way thats the future is bullshit. thom yorke is in a position very few, if any, musicians will reach.

which is more a media gripe than anything against thom himself, im aware

It is worth pointing out that Parlaphone advanced Radiohead plenty of money and promoted them heavily early on in their career.

It's the business model of record labels: they pay for the expensive stuff like tours, videos, studio time, advance the artists some money to live up to the image and, hope one of the acts that they signed sticks with audiences.

Hits are pretty rare, but studios rely on those aberrations to cover the costs of all the artists they've signed, recorded, and gotten drunk who ended up as nobodies.

Mind, this is a 1990s-era model and a lot has changed since Radiohead stormed onto the scene. I just think it is silly for Thom Yorke or anyone to forget the work that labels do in developing artists and trying to get something to stick. This isn't to say Thom and Radiohead aren't wrong with their frustrations with their label, which was reportedly very unhappy with OK Computer and then when it became an acclaimed record ran the band ragged touring the world to milk it for all its worth.

I feel like record labels are mostly worthless. I've been a part of five different independently released albums in some capacity. Only broke even on one. But you have to wonder, if the bands I were in had a label planning tours for us, promoting us with key demographics, pitching radio spots, etc., if maybe then something would have stuck? Promotion / the hype cycle is hard work.

i have no problem with artists making bank like that. hes right in that it should be the norm

just this thinkpiece bait that cuz thom yorke made millions doing it this way thats the future is bullshit. thom yorke is in a position very few, if any, musicians will reach.

to be fair, it's the dumbass media writing articles about how this is a solution for non-thom yorke musicians.

to be fair, it's the dumbass media writing articles about how this is a solution for non-thom yorke musicians.

this is true. my earlier post is probably more a reaction to the mass response being "revolution????" than to anything thom or anyone in radiohead actually said.

Which you totally said so

:lol:

yeah i mean i dont personally fault thom at all. if the moneys there, go for it. label help or not, hes earned his position in the industry and faulting him for capitalizing is dumb

but nothing he does economically is any sort of music biz sea change. if a completel independent band is raking in 20 million doing this, then its a story

this is true. my earlier post is probably more a reaction to the mass response being "revolution????" than to anything thom or anyone in radiohead actually said.

yea, that's why i didn't get you. not that i care much for him these days to be honest, but i reckon thom yorke is very aware of the fact that he's filthy rich and in a very privileged position thanks to an evil corporate label who made him famous in the first place and that's why he doesn't need anyone to keep raking it in anymore. but as far as i've heard him and nigel on this subject, their point is precisely that the "evil gatekeepers" should give artists who are starting and don't have any leverage a fair deal instead of being so fucking greedy, and that other established artists who are in a similar situation should stop sucking up to them and perpetuating a crap and completely lopsided business model by being  more demanding and setting a better example. i don't remember them being preachy of claiming what they do is for everyone, and the fact that he's kept experimenting and doing different things without repeating since they left EMI proves that's the case: they just want artists to get a bigger piece of the cake whatever it takes, basically.

and hey, seeing how most of his music has been pretty fucking boring lately at least he's doing something positive with himself so that's okay with me

:benny: