mylo

Sufjan Stevens' Benji

he had underage sex at summer camp for Christians

he says the F word

he has or had the desire to go on an insane druggie alky bender (in order to be "closer" to his dead mother? yeah sure buddy!)

I don't know man!

doesn't sound like any sort of Christian I'VE ever heard of!

Christian sub-bourbon!

born again virgin!

Nudist likes this

http://pitchfork.com/features/interviews/9595-true-myth-a-conversation-with-sufjan-stevens/

sounds like this will be his benji indeed. no orchestra arrangements, no synths, no drums. guitar, piano, vocals. all about his mother's death or something related to it.

compared to early elliott smith and nick drake. bleh, i just don't think he can pull that off

look at this fucking hipster though

“I've grown up a lot in the past few years,” says the 39-year-old singer/songwriter, sitting in his modest office overlooking the East River on a sunny-yet-frigid day earlier this month. While somber life events and the stark new album certainly back this up, his look today does not; still boyish in a blue beanie, red sneakers, and a bright camouflage jacket, he could comfortably pass for a man 10 years younger. Instruments and gear are scattered around—Stevens recorded parts of Carrie & Lowell by himself here during the summer as his small air conditioner whirred in the background—along with random kitsch like a copy of Christian pop icon Amy Grant’s 1977 debut LP hanging on the wall, a gold-fringed hula hoop taken from a recent multimedia project he completed for the Brooklyn Academy of Music, and a book filled with pictures of gross-out Garbage Pail Kids trading cards. A dry-erase board hosts a crude drawing of a figure with the letters “I” and “U” on either side of it and a heart in its mouth. At one point, he offers to show me his childhood stamp collection; I think he might be kidding, but he’s not.

Above his computer are dozens of black binders filled with his own photos. A sampling of shots from a recent trip to Oregon shows naturescapes marked by mist and skewed tree branches and the occasional outline of a couple in the distance. “There are basically thousands and thousands of the same photograph,” he says self-consciously. “They're photos your grandmother could appreciate.”

harcourt™ likes this

That hit file site had a link protector. An advert to watch for the Capcha, a 60-second wait, another Capcha and then the download time was still 25 minutes.

Was glad for the Mega link.

Moon, if I knew that didn't work for you, I would have re-upped. Cheers.

http://pitchfork.com/features/interviews/9595-true-myth-a-conversation-with-sufjan-stevens/

sounds like this will be his benji indeed. no orchestra arrangements, no synths, no drums. guitar, piano, vocals. all about his mother's death or something related to it.

compared to early elliott smith and nick drake. bleh, i just don't think he can pull that off

Couple of songs have ambient elements like 4th of July and the closing track.

Those seem to be the highlights as well.

This is really good, isn't it? I like how there are actually more ambient elements sprinkled throughout the album than you'd notice on first listen, it's more a headphone album than one expects from a straightforward folk affair like this. Lyrics also seem to be spot on, like Kozeleks Benji but (apart from an unnecessary mention of the m-word) whitout the obnoxious edge or lyrics sounding like they were invented on the spot.

Welcome back Sufjan, it's been 10 long years.

I'm finally getting around to listening to it. I wanted to wait for when the kid wasn't around--didn't want any unexpected John Wayne Gacy moments to catch us off guard. 

Of course I love it. I had all but given up on getting any more beautiful music like this from him and I'm delighted. 

And I don't want to hear it, Ash. :angry: You can keep your weird blips and bloops.

It's pretty great but not as great as Adz or Illinois. The second half here seems to be a minor drop-off in quality and sometimes I feel his voice much to prominent in the mix but dunno. Didn't expect to like it this much.

I'm not so keen on the single, 'Eugene' and 'John My Beloved' but this may change in the future. Come on, Adz may be a total mess but Sufjan's arranging skills and his songwriting ability in general still shine through. Tbh, the over-production may be loathly to some people but to me it is a great party.

It's not just the over-production that bothers me but the need to put 1000 ideas, choirs, bleeps and blops that are even more obnoxious than Thom Yorke at its worst, pointless arrangements etc into one song. Some people praised it because of that like quantity automatically equals quality but for me Adz is an unlistenable self-indulgent mess and probably my least favorite album of the decade so far.

Also, John My Beloved is probably my 3d favorite song here. No Shade in the Cross was a poor single choice but it works well in the context of the album. The only song that doesn't do it for me is the overlong and rather slight The Only Thing.

It's not just the over-production that bothers me but the need to put 1000 ideas, choirs, bleeps and blops that are even more obnoxious than Thom Yorke at its worst, pointless arrangements etc into one song. Some people praised it because of that like quantity automatically equals quality but for me Adz is an unlistenable self-indulgent mess and probably my least favorite album of the decade so far.

Also, John My Beloved is probably my 3d favorite song here. No Shade in the Cross was a poor single choice but it works well in the context of the album. The only song that doesn't do it for me is the overlong and rather slight The Only Thing.

It is self-indulgent but exactly this gives it an incredibly dynamic and alive feeling. Combined with Sufjan's melancholic songwriting it can get really intense. I wouldn't call it perfect but it works most of the time.

As I said earlier. The album may grow on me but so far these ones haven't done it for me. What I disliked about 'Seven Swans' is that it gets a bit too monotonous for my taste.  'John My Beloved' reminds me the most of this.  I like 'The Only Thing'. Not a highlight but still a good song.

adz is basically the "I need 50000 didgeridoos!!!" from walk hard

:lol:

I still think it's ironic that the first song is called Futile Devices when Adz is basically Sufjan using every futile machine that goes 'bing' over the course of 60+ minutes.

Also: going to listen to this now.

edit: this is pretty fucking beautiful. Only had one listen, but this seems really good. It just shouts 'headphones' though, so i'll probably make time for that tomorrow. 

It's weird how few people are talking about this or listening to it at all here while everywhere else its been received with similar hallelujahs as that new Kendrick album. Adz really did a number on the old atease crew. :w