mylo

Sufjan Stevens' Benji

It's weird how few people are talking about this or listening to it at all here while everywhere else its been received with similar hallelujahs as that new Kendrick album. Adz really did a number on the old atease crew. :w

a lot of us never cared for him in the first place

burgerlandorgy likes this

Yeah, this is a beautiful little record and all but I don't know about calling it AOTY already or even Sufjan's best...

Michigan -> Seven Swans -> Illinois are still all still pretty much untouchable, imo. Such ambitious and incredibly accomplished albums...

Still, this is powerful stuff. Arguably the most affecting and beautiful work he's done in the 10 years since Illinois (!!). We had a listen driving back from the Ottawa Valley area of Ontario with all the snowy fields contrasting with these dark muted tones everywhere and it was perfect. Had another listen today in the chilly city and yeah, just beautiful and haunting songs!

Michigan -> Seven Swans -> Illinois are still all still pretty much untouchable, imo. Such ambitious and incredibly accomplished albums...

I'll probably like this more than Illionois (ambitious and some classic tracks but bloated and didn't really stand the test of time that well imo) and Michigan (too much hit and miss). Dunno whether it's better than Seven Swans. Both are pretty different but like Carrie & Lowell it proves the less is more approach plays to his strengths the most.

Subaru.

This actually happens on this album btw.

Anyway, I'd just like to add wrt the title this is what Benji should have been. Deeply personal, sometimes painfully so but whitout being ridiculous half of the time or just a lazy collection of couch observations. Seems like it's possible to sing about death in the family and actually use a metaphor once in a while after all!

Yeah I agree! I only finished my first listen when I posted that and was surprised I hadn't heard any more buzz about it.

Eh this is probably the album that received the most buzz this year so far that was not made by Kendrick Lamar. And it isn't even out yet.