Parrot

The Dream Thread

I had a dream that all the philosophy threads would be Is _________The World’S Next Great Philosopher? filled with tweets of each celeb, but someone crashed it!

serious dream shit: 

as anyone here ever had a lucid dream? 

I used to a lot as a kid and didn't understand it. A few years ago I got really into the science of it and read up on it. I was having them pretty regularly and could almost predict which night I would. I kind of miss it as I've fallen out of the habit. Boring true post right there.

Actually that's my experience with it exactly.  For a while I was trying all these techniques to induce them.

Oddly enough the one that worked the best was drinking a bunch of milk before bed, I'd always have to get up and pee at some point in the night and there'd be a really good chance I'd have a lucid dream when I laid back down.

Yeah. They say the best way to induce them is to sleep to REM. Set an alarm, get up ... read a paper or something and then go back to sleep. Usually when you go back to sleep your mind is active enough. Also just thinking about it throughout the day helps because it becomes an involuntary running thought.

I also like to experiment with different drugs / alcohol while going to sleep to see how it affects the vividness and amount of dreaming I do. Whenever I start meditating for a few months for a few weeks I'll have really intense dreams.

This is a pretty good book on it ...

50402686.jpg

/nerd.

I often wake up from dreams with the sense that I knew I was dreaming on some level, like the content of the dream is some paranoid shit that would be really bad if it were happening and I just feel so unconcerned about it. But I think that the few times I've truly lucid dreamt, I ended up getting too excited and woke up quickly so I think it's a defense mechanism to keep me asleep to not totally acknowledge it. The few times I did were really cool like after I woke up I slipped back into it but cut short as mentioned and I stopped trying

The first time I tried was a weird experience though like I was kinda half napping in the evening and trying to slip into it but stay aware and I kept like almost getting it and then breaking it. Then later when I was sleeping in my own bed n stuff I just had a regular dream where I was working at my smoothie king job and wrote a couple of order tickets and then tried to tear off the perforated portion and it wasn't working which was frustrating

Then I woke up and my covers were in a pile on the floor and a book that had been on the floor by my bed was laying on top of the mountain of covers with like three pages torn from the back.

Klee likes this

serious dream shit: 

I've had a few including a couple that were nightmares I couldn't wake up from-- "trapped" in the lucid dream. that was scary

That's pretty wild. Sleep thrashing?

not thrashing, actually just very meticulously acting out my dream by tearing three of the index pages out of my Syd Barrett book in lieu of smoothie king order tickets I guess.

I've had a few including a couple that were nightmares I couldn't wake up from-- "trapped" in the lucid dream. that was scary

eesh :(

My dreams are considerably tame most of the time

Occasionally I start thrashing and making noises during weird nightmares but it's extremely rare. I've gone pretty close to the punch in the face irl while dreaming of it.

Generally I remember nothing of what I dream unless I'm napping.

serious dream shit: 

you mean like sleep paralysis? b/c i had it not too long ago and it fucking sucked

my understanding of sleep paralysis is that it happens when you've just woken up or are falling asleep and you're conscious but can't move?

I was unconscious and dreaming when that happened, just aware that I was dreaming, so idk what it is

sleep paralysis does sound scary as shit though, I experienced that once briefly and it's def unpleasant

Dream this morning was mostly full of old high school classmates with one childhood friend thrown in for good measure and a cameo from emma watson

Was kinda weird and awkward but not bad per se

That's pretty wild. Sleep thrashing?

not thrashing, actually just very meticulously acting out my dream by tearing three of the index pages out of my Syd Barrett book in lieu of smoothie king order tickets I guess.

Even wilder.

my dream recall is pretty good and getting even better now that I keep a dream journal. I usually remember what I dream every night.

I need to get back to doing this. Was really into a few years and it did help a ton.

Ever since high school I've had a recurring dream that I'm taking a class with a particular teacher and at the end of the semester I need to write a bunch of papers in one night to get my grade to passing. I had one of those last night.

High school may have scarred me a bit.

Weird. I had a dream I was in a high school last night and was rummaging through the principles office. I was looking through all the shit they would confiscate from kids. I was looking for reefer and found some. :vanish:

It's weird how we sometimes have dreams about things we never got to do in the past. One of my recurring dreams is tracking down N64 copies of Mario Party's 2 & 3. When I was in primary school those games were all I really wanted and my parents refused to buy them for me. A couple of years later mum and my brother decided to finally try and get them for me, but since it was now the next console generation you couldn't find them in any store anywhere. I got them both on an emulator several years ago and I never ever fucking play them, have no interest whatsoever nowadays. But I still dream about it for some reason. To think, maybe if I got those games I would've grown up into a completely different person. 

This morning I was having some weird dream about hanging out with people or something I don't remember then right before I woke up I was basically dreaming about sitting on a toilet shitting in front of people and not really feeling ashamed about it then I woke up and tried and all I got was air :( had to wait till I got to work and had my coffee for it to actually come out lol

I've had a similar pissing dream before where I was just pissing in front of someone and dgaf but of course I actually could pee when I woke up (had not wet the bed)

I tried to remember if i had any good dreams last night, and, i did remember!  I was exploring a hillside somewhere with dozens and dozens of a type of plant (moonflower) that is connected to the dream state in life. 

There were many small and some huge ones and it felt like a very real, and vivid, although very simple waking environment.  Being around these plants in real life it can feel like they are partially emerging from a dream space, so it was surprising to have the opposite of experience of finding them in a dream and having them make the dream feel more real.  :)  

I have made-up dream locations that crop up in my dreams a few times a year.

Like, there's a ski resort that my dreams often take place in. It's totally made-up but I'll have a dream set there every once in a while and it gives me wicked deja vu.

It's not a recurring dream, just a recurring setting. Does anyone else get that sort of thing?

I had the most lifelike dream I think I've ever had last night.  I dreamed I was at some house I've never been in before, and my old dog Uncle Bob was coming down the stairs, and I went and gave him a big hug and he put his head on my shoulder and was sort of hugging me back in the way dogs do sometimes. I woke up, and I know this is fucking ridiculous/crazy/batshit insane/whatever, but.....I feel like he paid me a visit.  I'd been thinking a lot about him the past couple of days and it felt like he was really there.