Parrot

The Dream Thread

Ok, a few things ...

@Kirembri - I do the same thing! I've made up entire cities in my dreams that don't exist in real life (at least to me knowledge, I could be dreaming about a city I've never been to but through collective consciousness know it's entire layout :o ) and they occur often enough where I'm walking around like I've lived there for years.

@ethan - Your dog's name was Uncle Bob. Simply awesome.

I have made-up dream locations that crop up in my dreams a few times a year.

Like, there's a ski resort that my dreams often take place in. It's totally made-up but I'll have a dream set there every once in a while and it gives me wicked deja vu.

It's not a recurring dream, just a recurring setting. Does anyone else get that sort of thing?

not as often but yeah the whole dream déjà vu does happen when I'm back in places that I've been to in dreams but that don't exist. Sometimes when I have a dream that's ostensibly in my "house" it isn't much like anywhere I've lived but it tends to be similar from dream to dream

I had the most lifelike dream I think I've ever had last night. I dreamed I was at some house I've never been in before, and my old dog Uncle Bob was coming down the stairs, and I went and gave him a big hug and he put his head on my shoulder and was sort of hugging me back in the way dogs do sometimes. I woke up, and I know this is fucking ridiculous/crazy/batshit insane/whatever, but.....I feel like he paid me a visit. I'd been thinking a lot about him the past couple of days and it felt like he was really there.

I can believe it :')

Yes!  Our direct personal experience is closer to knowing what is real in life than anything else.  We are made of stardust, too, which adds something to the idea that much less is impossible in life than suggested.

Connections between lifeforms surely are much more dynamic than our language can express!  To borrow a bit from some of the things Thom very loosely references sometimes, a dog is very much like an dog-angel or stardust-dog.  When people have near-death experiences they find there is a dramatic increase in the amount of love, wisdom, and also whimsy, that they experience, and our relationships between eachother, whatever type of lifeform, already represent those qualities so much!  Quite simply, I'm really moved by and happy about your dream!

Klee likes this

I had a fairly brief experience the other night that I think was the most 'lucid' dream I've had in a long while. But first, I feel like I have to blab about the only other two experiences I have had with this kind of thing...  :typing:

When I was quite young, I randomly picked up a Carl Jung book about dream psychology at a garage sale and started reading it, even though most of it was probably nonsense and generally way over my head. One night I fell asleep after reading it on a couch at my family's cottage and had a dream where I was fully aware that I was dreaming and I became able to change my surroundings at will to revisit places I had lived and gone to school while growing up. It was a crazy experience. I remember waking up early the next morning and running outside into the sunshine wearing only my underwear and running around in disbelief.

I didn't have another lucid dream until 2 years ago. Two friends and I were sleeping in a tent near the entrance of Blomingdon Provincial Park in rural Nova Scotia. I 'woke up' at one point in the night and found myself almost nose to nose with a red brick wall directly in front of me. Like I could kind of turn my head a little bit and look out of the corner of my eye to see I was standing in a very stereotypical alleyway, near a major street. But right away, I knew that I was in fact sleeping in a tent in this random part of Nova Scotia and that it wasn't possible for me to be standing here in an alley on a sunny day looking at this brick wall. I was so aware that I was in a dream that if I tried to move even turn or start exploring the dream, it would collapse on itself and I would wake up. I finally chose to promise myself to acknowledge that this happened, that I had stared at a city wall while sleeping in a tent and that I would wake myself on my own terms. So I did. I closed my eyes and opened them and I was back in my sleeping bag in our dark little tent, with the rain outside.

The lucid experience I had two nights ago I think was a tiny moment in an otherwise greater stretch of 'normal' dreams. But I had this insane sequence where I was falling from the sky. I was just dreaming. The world and the places below me getting closer, no fear, no feelings I can remember, just wind and a great speed with me falling to Earth. But somehow, it was like the unexpected happened because I landed. Things slowed down at the last second and my feet touched the ground and I was in the yard of my house growing up. But it was like right away, as soon as I had landed, I realized I was dreaming! It was like I either expected the dream to end, for me to die or for me to wake up. But when none of those things happened, I was able to suddenly have control of myself within the dream and know that it had been a dream from the start. So I began to walk forward and I opened the door to my house and went in and saw my Mom in the kitchen. But when I went to give her a hug, that's where the dream couldn't process it anymore and I woke up instantly. I'm pretty sure I sat up and said, 'damn!'

Annnd that's the end. Seriously tho – this shit blows my mind.  :cray:

Klee, MoonMonsoon and kirembri like this

Yeah usually if I've acknowledged that I'm dreaming I wake up so I think I tend to not acknowledge it when I know I'm dreaming and I don't tend to try to change things, but very often I find myself unperturbed by things that happen in dreams if I know I'm dreaming. And when I wake up I have the sensation that I knew I was dreaming and that's why I wasn't bothered by danger. Other times I wake up and am very surprised that I was dreaming because it seemed real, and in that case I may wake up sad but that tends to happen more with non-fantastical interpersonal dreams.

dusty likes this

Sometimes I do schock myself awake when I realize I'm peeing in a dream and I think I am in real life ... luckily I never actually have. Yet.

I hate those. One time i actually peed, i think it was in high school. Shit sucks

I had a fucking whacked out dream the other night ... I was a passenger in my friends car and he kept hitting curbs and going off the road and eventually we went of the road and were upside down in a tree. We climbed out and ran because I said he was drunk. So, naturally we ran to the closest bar. I walked through the bar to go outside in the back. When I walked back through the bar to let them know it was cool there were a bunch of lifeless bodies coming at me and I knew it was bad so we ran outside as fast as we could. I turned around and there was huge 100 foot monster / demon thing sticking its head out of the top of the bar, grabbing and eating people. Eventually his head fell off and came after me while I was running down a hill.

In between all of this some 'cops' had my friends hooked up to machines and one turned to me and said they were fucked and I probably should get out of here. That's when I noticed the giant monster head and we booked.

The earliest dream I can remember, a recurring one anaw, was a cartoon of a wee guy with a big nose skipping alongside a massive pipe organ and pressing keys that made a tinkling sound that got higher each time, then all of a sudden one would make this horrible deep noise that scared the shite out of me and I'd wake up in a panic.

An Annex exclusive, that. Don't tell Zach.

yesterday i was reading about how there were giant spiders/insects millions of years ago when oxygen levels were much higher and today i had a dream that there was a 3-foot long neon-green insect in my bedroom and i accidentally stepped on it and it pierced through my foot and it HURT

I had a dream that Tony Abbott was taking away my (pitiful) government handouts (because I'm a leaner, apparently) at some town meeting or something and I woke up right as I cornered him in the cloakroom and was hopefully about to rip out his intestines with my bare hands.

Had like two different school dreams this morning roff. First one featured the current coach of my boyfriend's men's league baseball team as my apparent high school PE teacher who gave me some sort of punishment where I had to go to the weight room and like sweep it or something but also do some exercises? So I procrastinated a bit then did some of the exercises, and then this girl that I only met like a year ago came in and was exasperated that I hadn't swept yet so she helped me, idk

Later when I went back to sleep I had a dream where I apparently had a little sister who I was dropping off at her first day at middle school then I was trying to find my school but somehow I got out of the car and walked a ways and then I got on some kind of trash can lid or something and skidded down the road on it somehow then I kinda found it but I had taken off my shoes so even though I was late I went into a shop and looked at shoes but then I guess I still had my shoes so I left and there was all this construction so it was hard to find the school amidst it all but then I did and I walked in and I was thinking it was one of those newfangled charter schools no idea how that works but I'm sure the dream was wrong. Walked in and saw my friend's little sister who was years younger than me and waved, then went to the desk and there were three people and I recognized two of them who were also younger than me in school but I was somehow surprised to see them and there was some weird thing where you suggest what you want to pay and they say whether they accept? I dunno my school dreams are always really weird and nothing at all like school really was for me.

When I was a kid I had a recurring dream that I could fly, and I LOVED it so much. I've had a similar dream only two times that I can remember as an adult, and one was a couple days ago. :)

This is also the time of year that I have school anxiety dreams... classroom isn't ready, I can't find my classroom, I'm naked at school, I forgot to prepare my lessons, etc, etc. It makes me crazy.

Those are like my flying dreams, too! I had to run really really fast and try really hard to take off and then I could just fly effortlessly around. It was great! However, every single dream ended with me trying to show someone important that I could fly and I would try so hard and I just wouldn't be able to do it again. I could feel it almost happening, but I just couldn't take off and they would get mad at me for wasting their time and I'd be upset because I was trying as hard as I could and I was almost making it, but almost making it doesn't count for much.

It was a recurring dream throughout my childhood, but I haven't had it in years. I don't miss it much, that frustration at the end was unbearable.

That's how the majority of 'flying dreams' are for people apparently. When I used to have lucid dreams a lot that would be the first thing I would do ... run and take off and fly my ass off.

I've had some kooky dreams over the years, some which I still can remember clear as day.

When I was young (like, 10) my favorite movie was "Gremlins" and one night after watching it I dreamt I was waking up in the main floor hallway of our old house. I sat up, looked around, and saw light shining from under our basement door onto the opposite wall (I couldn't see the door, it was around a corner, just the light on the wall). I turned away for a moment but then heard the door click open. When I turned back, it was opening slowly and then the shadow of a gremlin standing up was cast upon the wall. It started cackling and I woke up with a shot in a cold sweat.

A few years ago I had a weird Radiohead-related dream. My mom and I were in a dirt-floor basement of some old building and we started arguing about something. It got heated, we started screaming at each other, then suddenly we both stopped and she started saying "I will eat you alive" over and over and over. Freaked me out!

Last night I had a dream that me and Melissa Fumero (from 'Brooklyn 99') were hanging out and she was dressed like some rapper chick from the '90s and acting weird and we were gonna have sex but I couldn't figure out how to get my pants off. :lol:

When I was a kid I had this other recurring dream that I can't even remember what the dream was about, but it was scary, and it ended up with this sensation that the bed was spinning. It was intense and fascinating and I used to hope for it, even though it was scary, because I wanted so badly to understand it.

I used to get hypnic jerk (waking up with a feeling of tripping/falling/etc) all the time when I was in grade school but I really don't recall having had it in years. I wonder if it still happens but I've become less likely to awaken from it or if it just stopped.

I had a crazy involved and vivid dream this morning which was pretty good, I think. Don't remember much, something about a pumpkin treasure chest and being pregnant/someone secret being pregnant. It was adventurous and secretive and neat.

Then at the end I was dreaming that I was dreaming about being in Girl Scouts, and then I woke up from that dream in my dream and started to do a jigsaw puzzle of Nevada, then I got really irritated because other people were doing it for me and I fucking hate when other people do my jigsaw puzzles for me, and then I woke up because I was so irritated.

I dreamed I was trying to get across a foot bridge into manhattan with a couple of friends I haven't seen in years. Actually they used to be a couple, and they broke up before the last time I saw them... but anyway, it ended with me and the girl in an elevator and I was brushing my teeth and she kept complaining about how bad my breath was.

I visit the United States with my girlfriend and get a sudden-onset, crippling toothache.  It turns out that I need to have one of my wisdom teeth removed urgently.  I'm led into a room with brick walls and a single chair.  I'm told to lean on the chair and against the brick wall and to not move for while the surgeons inject one side of my face with anaesthetic and get the tooth out.  Surprisingly I find it is not a needle injection into my mouth, but a blast of liquid into one of my ears.  I have to hold still as the anaesthetising liquid enters.

The pain on one side of my mouth goes away, but I am told that due to my past experience with painkillers from my headaches, I do not appear to be sedated enough for the surgeons to be willing to perform the procedure.  I admit that I have taken paracetamol with codeine for my headaches without a prescription; in response, one of the surgeons whistles in a SWAT team to take me away to several years' hard labour.