harcourt™

American Politics and Trump End Times Haha Fuck Everything Ecology or Catastrophe Thread

We start this segment with news about a primary election for the 2014 midterms, specifically House majority leader Eric Cantor losing his seat to a Tea Party challenger.

Whoa!

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2014/06/10/320797014/eric-cantor-defeated-in-republican-primary

House Majority Leader Eric Cantor has lost his Republican primary in Virginia's 7th Congressional District to Tea Party challenger David Brat — a stunning upset that will rewrite the leadership of the chamber's GOP leadership.

Brat, an economics professor at Randolph-Macon College, was leading Cantor by .

"I know there's a lot of long faces here tonight, and it's disappointing, sure," Cantor said, speaking to supporters. "I believe in this country; I believe there's opportunity around the next corner for all of us."

NPR's Ron Elving calls the defeat of Cantor, who was widely expected to eventually replace House Speaker John Boehner, "Truly stunning and all but unprecedented for a speaker-in-waiting."

ap267709582195-c714a328164c561ae6460c828

Tea Party-backed David Brat, an economics professor at Randolph-Macon
College, has defeated House Majority Leader Eric Cantor in his Virginia
Republican primary.

Steve Helber/AP

Hmm, I guess people are ranking different things. I saw we were on top in 08, but now Mexico seems to be the fattest, with you guys second and we're fourth?

Anyway, this is for a different thread. :ph34r:

i really can't see anything worse than cantor, but this guy is backed by the tea party so

Excessive corporate interests or crippling gridlock.

Or both :fun:

That tea party dude is GOING to win that seat btw. It's been in Republican hands since 1972.

Tea Party just sounds like it would tempt me to vote for them. Sounds like there would be frivolity...

Obviously this is the complete opposite and they're basically Satan but it's funny when you don't see any of the politicians in question.

i really can't see anything worse than cantor, but this guy is backed by the tea party so

In campaigning he mostly talked about his outsider status against "Washington", as such an upstart would.  But his opposition to immigration reform and Cantor's eventual concessions on e.g. the government shutdown were what likely led to his victory.

It shows definitively that the ideological struggle within the Republican party - and among their financers - is not yet over.

Hillary is just another corporate player of the game, I don't hate her but she'd just be Obama 2.0.  There could be worse things, of course, but I think we need more than just a firewall keeping the Republicans from dismantling the few protections we have left.

Maybe I'm just old and jaded, but the idea of getting behind a progressive just makes me laugh. The president has to be a moderate to some degree. The president has to be a compromise of interests. Hillary is absolutely a corporate shrill, but she's the best hope. Not the only hope.

Now, as far as real progressives go, I think everyone should vote for them in local elections. You know, the ones where no one really turns out but the GOP base of bigots and flat earthers.

I changed my party affiliation not long ago to Republican, primarily so I can counter the Tea Party head on. Been to one meeting so far.

Maybe I'm just old and jaded, but the idea of getting behind a progressive just makes me laugh. The president has to be a moderate to some degree. The president has to be a compromise of interests. Hillary is absolutely a corporate shrill, but she's the best hope. Not the only hope.

Now, as far as real progressives go, I think everyone should vote for them in local elections. You know, the ones where no one really turns out but the GOP base of bigots and flat earthers.

I changed my party affiliation not long ago to Republican, primarily so I can counter the Tea Party head on. Been to one meeting so far.

Freudian slip? :D

I always say "shrill" when I mean "shill".

Sometimes it works in context, but really I'm just stupid.

I make more mistakes with homophones than one would think for someone who used to work at a copy desk for a major newspaper. Of course, I was mostly doing layout, but still. I had to pass some serious spelling / grammar tests.

Doesn't help that I don't really give a shit about perfection on a conversational message board. But some people do.

:(

Hillary is just another corporate player of the game, I don't hate her but she'd just be Obama 2.0.  There could be worse things, of course, but I think we need more than just a firewall keeping the Republicans from dismantling the few protections we have left.

I kind of think American politics are slowly but surely moving back to the center. The conversation is going to be completely different in 20 years. Right now, Boomers control the conversation and they've become more conservative over time. Once they don't account for a plurality of the electorate things will change I think. Milenials are further left than either boomers or Gen X, so I think in 20 years time we'll see a more principled and unified left rather than a dynamic of moderates v conservatives that we have now.

For now I think a moderate like Hillary is the best we can hope for tbh. The ‘Warren wing’ of the democratic party will continue to grow slowly over time but it won’t sprout up as quickly as the tea party did within the Republican party and it won’t be nearly as divisive either. I see true progressives doing well in urban centers and traditionally democratic strongholds (Northeast, West coast mainly) but it will take a while before progressives are viable on the national stage.

Without reading the article, I would say that the Tea Party blew it by quickly letting itself be co-opted by social conservatives and quickly losing the plot on its key issue: tax reform.

From the very beginning, not long after Obama took office, they started screaming about the deficit before the current President even had time to start spending stimulus money like crazy (which is a good idea when the economy is spiraling out of control, btw), which gave the Tea Party ZERO credibility since where were they when it comes to talking about fiscal responsibility when GWB was cutting taxes and borrowing heavily to finance two incredibly stupid wars?

I think the underlying problem was that they've always been an astroturf organization with wealthy oil barons and the like behind the scenes, funding the rallies that never get anything like the turnout you'd imagine.  Their electoral victories were almost entirely due to this bottomless supply of shady campaign dollars, and general disillusionment with a broken government. After they won elections, their congressional freshman class didn't do anything except push the same old social-conservative/deregulate and privatize everything bullshit, so what moderates they'd attracted quickly vacated the premises, thus hollowing out their base. And now, even with that bottomless supply of dollars still in place, they're having a hard time getting the votes.

That's what it's looked like to me anyway.

It's hard to appeal to working families who are interested in tax relief when they are being steered by wealthy donors to give a voice to all sorts of bullshit social issues.

Did I mention yet that I went to a Tea Party meeting not long ago? Now that I am a registered republican and all and owe serious money in taxes (seriously pissed about that), I figured it was time to turn to the dark side. I didn't say much but pretty much told the two loudest people there that they were stupid.

:)

It would be really cool if Michelle Nunn (senate) and/or Jason Carter (governor) could beat out the republican candidates in GA this year. Every republican-sponsored ad in this state is full of so much bullshit and petty mudslinging it's disgusting. I've seen much fewer ads from the democratic candidates which is likely due to drastic disparity in spending but at least Nunn might be holding off a bit until the republican runoff determines her opponent. Carter on the other hand is up against the incumbent and is literally sending out emails asking for "just a dollar" to build a grassroots campaign so we'll see how that goes.

But I really do hate those republican ads I see when I watch jeopardy (one of the only times I watch local stations). I mean seriously resorting to pleading fake answering machine messages from an Obama impersonator is just LOW.

It would be really cool if Michelle Nunn (senate) and/or Jason Carter (governor) could beat out the republican candidates in GA this year. Every republican-sponsored ad in this state is full of so much bullshit and petty mudslinging it's disgusting. I've seen much less ads from the democratic candidates which is likely due to drastic disparity in spending but at least Nunn might be holding off a bit until the republican runoff determines her opponent. Carter on the other hand is up against the incumbent and is literally sending out emails asking for "just a dollar" to build a grassroots campaign so we'll see how that goes.

But I really do hate those republican ads I see when I watch jeopardy (one of the only times I watch local stations). I mean seriously resorting to pleading fake answering machine messages from an Obama impersonator is just LOW.

:lol: that's amazing