harcourt™

American Politics and Trump End Times Haha Fuck Everything Faygo Not Fascism Thread

Yeah, voter turnout in this country is pitiful.  Everyone loves to bitch about the government but around 40% of people can be counted on not to show up on election day.

And that's just presidential elections, in in-between years it's more like 60% of people that don't show up :sadyes:

Yeah, voter turnout in this country is pitiful.  Everyone loves to bitch about the government but around 40% of people can be counted on not to show up on election day.

And that's just presidential elections, in in-between years it's more like 60% of people that don't show up :sadyes:

yeah i mean it's just this whole self-defeating mindset of "my vote doesn't matter so why should I bother" which is actually true, but would still be less true if all those people actually voted

and if it wasn't an inconvenience to vote then people would be more likely to do it

Yeah, the sad thing to me is that people feel like it's okay to sit out the election of their local representatives, which is where their vote actually would count the most.

YES

I don't get why people only vote when the president is in the election, which is where their vote matters least  :wacko:

I mean the internet makes it easier than ever to get an actual impression of the candidates, even though I don't even pay attention till like the day before I make a point to at least look them all up and make a somewhat informed decision, which I write on a post-it note and put in my pocket to pull out at the machine. 

Exactly, you can get a good idea of which candidate is most in line with your thinking with like ten minutes of Googling. Which also reminds me...party affiliation is much less important at that level, but probably more than half the people who vote in those elections vote straight along party lines.

yeah that's true I'd say. for the primary I vote democrat but for the general election I make a point to look at all the candidates, even though most of the time I end up going democrat anyway. I don't really live in a place where third parties matter, except maybe libertarian. 

usually just the candidate's own facebook or personal website gives me the best idea of what they stand for and whether or not they're a complete moron, but for some elections the local paper does a side-by-side comparison where they ask the candidates the same questions, which is pretty cool when I can find it. 

Yeah it's awful.  Ginsberg's dissent was nice, at least.

Here are seven more key quotes from Ginsburg's dissent in Burwell v. Hobby Lobby:

• "The exemption sought by Hobby Lobby and Conestoga would…deny legions of women who do not hold their employers' beliefs access to contraceptive coverage"
  • "Religious organizations exist to foster the interests of persons subscribing to the same religious faith. Not so of for-profit corporations. Workers who sustain the operations of those corporations commonly are not drawn from one religious community."
  • "Any decision to use contraceptives made by a woman covered under Hobby Lobby's or Conestoga's plan will not be propelled by the Government, it will be the woman's autonomous choice, informed by the physician she consults."
  • "It bears note in this regard that the cost of an IUD is nearly equivalent to a month's full-time pay for workers earning the minimum wage."
  • "Would the exemption…extend to employers with religiously grounded objections to blood transfusions (Jehovah's Witnesses); antidepressants (Scientologists); medications derived from pigs, including anesthesia, intravenous fluids, and pills coated with gelatin (certain Muslims, Jews, and Hindus); and vaccinations[?]…Not much help there for the lower courts bound by today's decision."
  • "Approving some religious claims while deeming others unworthy of accommodation could be 'perceived as favoring one religion over another,' the very 'risk the [Constitution's] Establishment Clause was designed to preclude."
  • "The court, I fear, has ventured into a minefield."
ocean likes this

Awful ruling.

It will be sad to see Ginsberg to retire. I almost always agree with her.

Maybe once your Scalias and your Thomas' retire some of the damage that this court has caused can be undone somewhere down the line. Though Kennedy is the swing vote on many of these issues and he's getting up there. If you replaced him with a more liberal justice stuff like this wouldn't happen.

‘There are no coal mines on Mars’

Republican state Sen. Brandon Smith of Kentucky has a new theory on why climate change couldn’t possibly be slowly warming the earth’s temperature, resulting in legions of effects to the environment and its inhabitants.

The reason, according to alternative paper LEO Weekly, seems to be that since Mars and Earth have identical temperatures, Earth’s climate cannot possibly be the result of human activity.

“As you sit there in your chair with your data, we sit up here in ours with our data and our constituents and stuff behind us. I don’t want to get into the debate about climate change, but I will simply point out that I think in academia we all agree that the temperature on Mars is exactly as it is here. Nobody will dispute that,” said the senator in a video posted by the weekly publication. “Yet there are no coal mines on Mars. There are no factories on Mars that I’m aware of.”

:rolf:

As you sit there in your chair with your data, we sit up here in ours with our data and our constituents and stuff behind us.

I feel like this is in the running for best sentence ever uttered by a legislator.  

As you sit there in your chair with your data, we sit up here in ours with our data and our constituents and stuff behind us.

I feel like this is in the running for best sentence ever uttered by a legislator.  

holy shit

‘There are no coal mines on Mars’

Republican state Sen. Brandon Smith of Kentucky has a new theory on why climate change couldn’t possibly be slowly warming the earth’s temperature, resulting in legions of effects to the environment and its inhabitants.

The reason, according to alternative paper LEO Weekly, seems to be that since Mars and Earth have identical temperatures, Earth’s climate cannot possibly be the result of human activity.

“As you sit there in your chair with your data, we sit up here in ours with our data and our constituents and stuff behind us. I don’t want to get into the debate about climate change, but I will simply point out that I think in academia we all agree that the temperature on Mars is exactly as it is here. Nobody will dispute that,” said the senator in a video posted by the weekly publication. “Yet there are no coal mines on Mars. There are no factories on Mars that I’m aware of.”

:rolf:

There are no coal mines on Mars. Nothing funny or controversial about that. What's bolded. though, is absolutely a masterpiece.