harcourt™

American Politics and Trump End Times Haha Fuck Everything Faygo Not Fascism Thread

I don't have a problem with the 2 Americans (infected by Ebola) coming to a secure hospital in Georgia. What I do worry about with this Ebola epidemic, however, is if Africans infected fly into Mexico with the whole clusterfuck going on with a lack of disease monitoring and illegal immigration and yada yada yada, this blows up that way on the USA. 

If you look at the 2012 Presidential election results by county rather than by state, the United States mostly looks like metropolitan patches and pockets of blue in a sea of red:

countymaprb1024.png

population density tho

I don't have a problem with the 2 Americans (infected by Ebola) coming to a secure hospital in Georgia. What I do worry about with this Ebola epidemic, however, is if Africans infected fly into Mexico with the whole clusterfuck going on with a lack of disease monitoring and illegal immigration and yada yada yada, this blows up that way on the USA.

yeah fair point

I'm honestly still a little creeped out by it being in the same city as me, but I'm not actually worried

John McClane likes this

545543_10151321923986667_860632622_n1.jp

America really looks like this – I was looking at the amazing 2012 election maps created by Mark Newman (Department of Physics and Center for the Study of Complex Systems, University of Michigan, http://www-personal.umich.edu/~mejn/election/2012), and although there is a very interesting blended voting map (Most of the country is some shade of purple, a varied blend of Democrat blue and Republican red) what I really wanted was this blended map with a population density overlay. Because what really stands out is how red the nation seems to be when you do not take the voting population into account; when you do so many of those vast red mid-west blocks fade into pale pink and lavender (very low population).

So I created a new map using Mark’s blended voting map based on the actual numbers of votes for each party overlaid with population maps from Texas Tech University and other sources.

Here’s the result—what the American political voting distribution really looks like.

- See more at: http://www.patheos.com/blogs/camelswithhammers/2012/11/coloring-the-electoral-map-by-district-population-density-and-partisan-split/#sthash.XGMY9NMd.dpuf

mnemosyne and kirembri like this

I brought up the map by county because it shows that there are significant regional differences in political affiliation that are more intricate than just by state or "north-south" or "northeast-southwest".  In Texas for example not only Austin is blue, but also El Paso, San Antonio, and even Dallas and Houston.  In Illinois, Chicago is overwhelmingly blue but the rest is mostly red.  So secession of states won't fix the divides that already exist on a number of issues, like gun control and abortion, in a Jesusland-style fashion.

ocean likes this

But it would give all those people a place to go to open carry, talk about Jesus, save unborn babies, go crazy about college football, etc.

Open carry's a good example of the imperfect divisions; surprisingly to me, there are essentially 41 open carry states, and among the exceptions are Texas and South Carolina.

My dentist's office is in the same building as an abortion clinc and sometimes there's people protesting outside of it.

Just wanna drive right into those people tbh.

But it would give all those people a place to go to open carry, talk about Jesus, save unborn babies, go crazy about college football, etc.

Open carry's a good example of the imperfect divisions; surprisingly to me, there are essentially 41 open carry states, and among the exceptions are Texas and South Carolina.

aren't you german or something?

Well, you are in Georgia, where the law is on your side if you want to carry a gun to church or a bar.

EDIT: Of course you know where you are.

Just referencing that law that was enacted not long ago. You'd know more than I, of course, but wasn't that law re: concealed guns EVERYWHERE mostly symbolic? Or is it a legit game-changer?

I remember a lot of HuffPost kneejerk outrage over it, but, really, all I could muster is a shrug.

EDIT2: I shouldn't have posted. I'm really tired. Very sorry.

The idea behind conceal carry is that you have to be permitted, take classes, get sheriffs to sign off on it. And as a registered Republican who is a big believer in personal responsibility, I tend to agree with you, Shakes. Whatever.

But open carry? Brandishing a gun intimidates people. It's obnoxious and unnecessary and these people are only proving that they are huge assholes is all. Would love to see anyone pull that shit when I'm around because I don't suffer bullies. Fuckers.

I dunno, no opinion. Wasn't saying anything really, just pointing out that a business I frequent has a no guns sign that I never noticed before. It's their prerogative to not "allow" guns but I guess they wouldn't know unless you got it out

otm

i have no legit beef with concealed carry. i dont at all agree with the "a good guy with a gun stops a bad guy with a gun" line but at least concealed carry advocates typically go through the effot and training to get their permits and shit, so w/e. you do you. i wont carry a gun but if you feel you must, by all means

but these open carry cunts are just twats on an ego trip and there shoudlnt be laws to enable assholes like that

It's fun to talk about guns but I'm much more gleeful about the stunning (even for this generation of GOP congressmen) amount of bullshit they've put up lately? I think the "sue President Obama for overreaching on Obamacare/he needs to overreach to stop the border crisis" dichotomy they've been preaching the last few days has been particularly astounding

John McClane likes this

Got a survey call, which I took since I'm not exactly busy. They kept asking some of the most ridiculously loaded questions about the democratic candidate:

"… has voted 4 times to limit second-amendment freedoms and has pledged his support for amnesty for illegal immigrants. Does this make you more likely or less likely to vote for him?"

That's actually a pretty tame example. They asked me one question about the GOP candidate: "… is backed by the Tea Party and supports limited government and opposes abortion."

Not sure it was a survey at all tbh.

Got a survey call, which I took since I'm not exactly busy. They kept asking some of the most ridiculously loaded questions about the democratic candidate:

"… has voted 4 times to limit second-amendment freedoms and has pledged his support for amnesty for illegal immigrants. Does this make you more likely or less likely to vote for him?"

That's actually a pretty tame example. They asked me one question about the GOP candidate: "… is backed by the Tea Party and supports limited government and opposes abortion."

Not sure it was a survey at all tbh.

Did you catch the name of the company?