Moon

Worth Reading

From Russia to Iran, The Consequences of The Global Oil Bust (Washington Post) 

The price of oil has fallen 50% in less than a year. This article explores the possibilities of what it means for global politics and economics. Mainly negative consequences of course.

Nick Butler, former head of strategy for BP, told me, “We are in for a longer and more sustained period of low oil prices than in the late 1980s.” Why? He points to a perfect storm. Supply is up substantially because a decade of high oil prices encouraged producers throughout the world to invest vast amounts of money in finding new sources. Those investments are made and will keep supply flowing for years. Leonardo Maugeri, former head of strategy for the Italian energy giant Eni, says, “There is no way to stop this phenomenon.” He predicts that prices could actually drop to $35 per barrel next year, down from more than $105 last summer.

Russia: As with Chávez, Vladimir Putin’s popularity coincided perfectly with a steep rise in oil prices, which meant higher Russian GDP, government revenue and, thus, subsidies to the people. All that is reversing course. Russia’s economy is projected to shrink by 3.4 percent this year. Oil and gas revenue make up half the government’s income. Crucially, revenue for Gazprom, the national gas giant, is estimated to fall by almost 30 percent this year. “Remember, Gazprom is the machine that provides finances for Putin’s clique that runs the country,” said Butler, now at King’s College London.

harcourt likes this

"That's one reason whites think of Indians as nomadic hunters," says Russell Thornton, an anthropologist at the University of California at Los Angeles. "Everything else—all the heavily populated urbanized societies—was wiped out."

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2002/03/1491/302445/

"...But in agriculture they handily outstripped the children of Sumeria. Every tomato in Italy, every potato in Ireland, and every hot pepper in Thailand came from this hemisphere. Worldwide, more than half the crops grown today were initially developed in the Americas."

"That's one reason whites think of Indians as nomadic hunters," says Russell Thornton, an anthropologist at the University of California at Los Angeles. "Everything else—all the heavily populated urbanized societies—was wiped out."

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2002/03/1491/302445/

this post was not worth reading

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2015/07/how-the-south-skews-america-119725.html#.VZope-dDkV9

The only thing that I will add is that the problem isn't so much the South skewing America, it is Evangelical Christianity messing things up.

This was saved in here. If I did post this already, :oops:

evangelical Christianity is what keeps USA from sinful rapture. America still has  a sympathetic aura to the world (amazingly), but if you took out the preachers and went 100% Wallmart, you'd quickly become in risk of global vilification.

No.

Shut up. Go see a therapist before someone hurts you.

moose likes this

evangelical Christianity is what keeps USA from sinful rapture. America still has  a sympathetic aura to the world (amazingly), but if you took out the preachers and went 100% Wallmart, you'd quickly become in risk of global vilification.

every preacher i've ever met shops at walmart...

More precisely, they might have to use Walllmart to support their devotion to the creator of all things, the merciful, the most high. It could be the other way around, in which case you'd surely be a vile culture of parasites, but in reality you do have good southern people who live for the understanding of a higher wisdom, the importance of all, and the love of all and its sources. The brotherhood of rich and poor, the devotion to that which renounces hate and other vices.

More precisely, they use Walllmart to support their devotion to the creator of all things, the merciful, the most high. It could be the other way around, in which case you'd surely be a vile culture of parasites, but in reality you do have good southern people who live for the understanding of a higher wisdom, the importance of all and the love of all and its sources.

your responses are not logical and I do not think your English is the problem

harcourt, burgerlandorgy and moose like this

The problem is you spilled over from Atease. You had it for yourself, zach9, and if you really wanted to avoid me you'd just go there or press ignore. But you do seek out my posts and obsess over them.

Oh wait you're probably that Biddle web design guy. Sorry!

The problem is you spilled over from Atease. You had it for yourself, zach9, and if you really wanted to avoid me you'd just go there or press ignore. But you do seek out my posts and obsess over them.

Oh wait you're probably that Biddle web design guy. Sorry!

I'm not zach9

"In a process reminiscent of dropping microorganism-rich starter into plain dough to create sourdough bread, Amazonian peoples, he believes, inoculated bad soil with a transforming bacterial charge. Not every group of Indians there did this, but quite a few did, and over an extended period of time."

- same article

..."...Scientists should study the microorganisms in terra preta, Woods told me, to find out how they work. If that could be learned, maybe some version of Amazonian dark earth could be used to improve the vast expanses of bad soil that cripple agriculture in Africa—a final gift from the people who brought us tomatoes, corn, and the immense grasslands of the Great Plains."

That article is more than a decade old.

I remember the debate it created in the anthropological community at the time, popularizing a lot of fringe theories outside the mainstream.

In the years since, little of the ideas have gained traction whatsoever. Especially the idea that original Americans somehow bioengineered the poor jungle soil.

It's all very fascinating, but all largely a lot of speculation and untestable hypothesis. It is little wonder you found it worthwhile to post here.

ban ad hominems and ocean like this

Guest Eat Shadows

I had a weird dream last night where I took a college class on like becoming a gentlemen and Putin taught it. It was me and 2 other guys I didn't know. It was really tense, but involved subjects such as how to sit back in a chair to exude confidence and singing. Vlad was disappointed in my avoiding the singing part and wanted me to step it up next class.