Crazy Disco Party

What Did You Have For Lunch Today (Official How Snappy Spin-Off)

Are greens and peas a traditional new year's meal? Never heard of that being a thing!

I had sausage and pepper sandwiches for dinner last night, and a couple of these pumpkin cookies that didn't quite set up right even though I left them in the oven a bit longer than the recipe called for. Still good, just...pumpkin slugs.

c.i. likes this

The greens represent money - eating them on New Year's Day is supposed to help make the new year a prosperous one. I'm not sure why black-eyed peas is a traditional dish on NYD, but it is.

And if you can't tell what's in the bottom-right of my plate, it's hash brown casserole (aka "funeral potatoes" in some places from what I understand). It's not a traditional NYD dish, but it sure is tasty.

Bill likes this

1 hour ago, c.i. said:

must be a southern thing?

:yes: 

51 minutes ago, Do They Know It's pentaChristmas? said:

The greens represent money - eating them on New Year's Day is supposed to help make the new year a prosperous one. I'm not sure why black-eyed peas is a traditional dish on NYD, but it is.

i always heard the greens are bills and the peas are coins :W 

Bill and pentachris like this

13 minutes ago, ocean said:

i always heard the greens are bills and the peas are coins

I kind of thought I remembered hearing that, too, but I wasn't sure if I'd really heard it or if I'd made it up and filed it away as a memory.

Bill and ocean like this

Yeah, my wife has made mac and cheese instead of the hash brown casserole on New Year's Days past. But it's always a pan-fried ham steak, peas, collards, and cornbread. I had leftovers today at lunch of everything but the ham. :eat:

ocean likes this

idk ritualistic meals are nice! and this one is more low key/chill than say thanksgiving or xmas 

i wish i had been to more than one seder in my life, seemed like a solid meal tradition when i did. similar to maundy thursday (last supper) for obvious reasons which i used to enjoy quite a bit in my youth, though one of my earliest memories is the one time i really threw up as a child afterwards from eating too many dried fruits with grape juice or something :icant: