PopTodd

Whatchya watching on Netflix?

The funny thing is, Friends was waaaaay ahead of times, and for years its been praised for that very fact. 

Getting bit bored of old things being slagged off because they differ from modern day behaviour. Christ, you probably only need to go back one year for things to not line up with the way people view things now. 

Lights, Parrot and Jonathan Trott like this

1 hour ago, BEAST said:

The funny thing is, Friends was waaaaay ahead of times, and for years its been praised for that very fact. 

Getting bit bored of old things being slagged off because they differ from modern day behaviour. Christ, you probably only need to go back one year for things to not line up with the way people view things now. 

This was what I always thought. Friends seemed pretty progressive to me. 

I also saw people slagging off only fools and horses for being racist when actually it should be slagged off for being absolute shite. 

3 hours ago, BEAST said:

i think one of the black marks on it is fat monica, but thats the only thing i really see criticized on that front

10 hours ago, Jonathan Trott said:

Just been reading that people seeing friends for the first time ever were saying it was transphobic and homophobic.... I'm wracking my brains but I can't think of when. Does anyone know the ploblem here? 

I think there are lots of little things that if they were in a show made today would make people roll their eyes. I'm only on episode three, but I've noticed a couple of things already, like when Joey is learning to smoke for an acting job and he relaxes his wrist too much and he and Chandler look at other like 'Oooh that makes me look gay!' And the way Ross talks about his ex wife and her girlfriend. Probably every mainstream sitcom from that time would have stuff like that in it. I remember at the time it was criticised even then for portraying such a white New York, which they tried to solve by just giving Ross Chinese and black girlfriends.

The worst thing I've seen so far is people being able to smoke in a coffee shop. It doesn't look right at all :lol:

Actually, the worst thing is Matthew Perry being eight years younger than I am now when it was filmed. What the HELVI.

Lights, Heart Space and psycho like this

9 hours ago, BEAST said:

I watched the first episode of C4's Crashing the other day cos it's the same woman who made Fleabag which is grrrrrrreat. It's only from 2016 but there's a character in it who goes around telling women he wants to fuck them and bullying another man he suspects is gay, and it all felt very wrong indeed. It would have done two years ago too, but it feels especially wrong being viewed in 2018. I don't know whether I didn't enjoy it because of that aspect or simply because it was shite.