Klee

Official Mra Red Pill Thread

I have no opinion in particular on BBT, but I feel like "it's a multi-camera network sitcom, go easy on it" isn't the strongest defense for any show. There have been some really great, smart shows in that format over the years, i.e. Seinfeld, Roseanne, etc.

I'm definitely not trying to put it on par with those shows, I guess I'm just taking umbrage at the hate it gets when it strikes me as totally innocuous. Which I guess is silly, and maybe oddly hypocritical if it really is totally innocuous, but I like to argue.

agreed. men and women both suffer for similar and complementary reasons and there's no reason why feminism shouldn't also be inclusive of men in that regard. I prefer thinking about feminism as gender awareness / consciousness; it's def not just about women.

Yeah, I think a lot of people have a visceral reaction to the word feminism and miss the larger point, that it's about achieving gender equality and calling attention to the way traditional gender roles can hurt everyone.

I'm definitely not trying to put it on par with those shows, I guess I'm just taking umbrage at the hate it gets when it strikes me as totally innocuous. Which I guess is silly, and maybe oddly hypocritical if it really is totally innocuous, but I like to argue.

Lrn 2 read!!!

Yeah, I think a lot of people have a visceral reaction to the word feminism and miss the larger point, that it's about achieving gender equality and calling attention to the way traditional gender roles can hurt everyone.

Definitely, but I also think that there is a lot that still has to be done in the realm of women's rights as well before true equality is possible. Gender equality is of course the end point, but I think that things like closing the wage gap and trying to combat rampant rape culture and misogyny are extremely important, if not wholly instrumental, in achieving that. It's not to say there aren't problems with how we view men and masculinity - or gender as a whole, I mean, look at the trans* community to see what an ass-backward shit show society's conception of gender is - but most of them are deeply seated in the way we view women. 

But yeah, equality for all, but there's still a shit ton of work we need to do.

mnemosyne, Moon and Klee like this

All that is work towards gender equality, though, so I don't think that's a counterpoint so much as it's more specific. I agree with all of that, and I think that a lot of the PR issues with all of that have to do with how it's all framed. I think some people hear the word "feminist" and instead of thinking "equal pay for equal work, that's reasonable," they start imagining Valerie Solanas.

For some reason I was waiting for that cartoon to be cringeworthy, and I was confused when it wasn't. :lol:

It's hard for me to even discuss feminism, because it just feels like common sense to me. I don't even understand why there is a negative reaction to the term at all, except because some people don't understand it whatsoever and think it means "women rule men drool."

I think that's it exactly, some people take it to be man-hating women who want to destroy the family unit and make abortion as american as apple pie. And to be fair a lot of the people who take it that way have just never thought about it very hard. Or their only exposure to it has been from more militant people who are more prone to making provocative statements. I guess it's pretty complicated.

eeeezypeezy, on 30 Jun 2014 - 11:29 AM, said:
I think that's it exactly, some people take it to be man-hating women who want to destroy the family unit and make abortion as american as apple pie. And to be fair a lot of the people who take it that way have just never thought about it very hard. Or their only exposure to it has been from more militant people who are more prone to making provocative statements. I guess it's pretty complicated.

It is, but it need not to be, really. People should just pull their heads out of their asses and be aware of what's actually going on, not the over-hyped stereotypical bullshit stuff.

But I guess that's asking a lot.

Edit: Weird fucked up quote... odddd...

Asking people to think long-term is always a tremendous pain in the ass. My personal favorite (ie the one that makes me want to :explode:) is when people say things like, "eh, why worry about any of that now, the earth will survive long after all of us are gone."

People have just chosen this show to attach all their worst feelings about how much smarter they are than pop culture and how refined their taste is and whatever to and it's silly to me.  There are shows like Keeping Up With the Kardashians for that.

i can't even begin to tumble down from the ultraverse to tell you how wrong you are.

anyway i like how a topic about MRAs has turned into BBT talk in three pages.

cool read: http://np.reddit.com/r/everymanshouldknow/comments/29hbtj/emsk_why_the_red_pill_will_kill_you_inside/

but i'm confused now, are MRA and red pill the same thing? Most of you treat them like they are, but like I said, initially when I hear Men's Rights, I can actually think of a few causes where it'd make sense. but i guess MRA seems to be solely an online-movement and not anything IRL, and from what you guys say, it sounds more like it sprung up more as a defense to feminism or something weird

cool read: http://np.reddit.com/r/everymanshouldknow/comments/29hbtj/emsk_why_the_red_pill_will_kill_you_inside/

but i'm confused now, are MRA and red pill the same thing? Most of you treat them like they are, but like I said, initially when I hear Men's Rights, I can actually think of a few causes where it'd make sense. but i guess MRA seems to be solely an online-movement and not anything IRL, and from what you guys say, it sounds more like it sprung up more as a defense to feminism or something weird

Definitely not just an internet thing.

In Halifax, Nova Scotia, for example, where I lived for a long time, there's now a very vocal chapter of the MRA there who have spearheaded a lot of women-bashing, slutshaming and otherwise pretty awful misogynistic campaigns, protests and rallies. Some really disgusting stuff too, like protesting the case of a lawyer who got charged with sexual assault for drugging a girl and raping her... calling the girl a money grubbing bitch, saying she ruined the life of a respectable business man, regret isn't rape, all that stuff. Say they're going to make her pay.

Pretty low shit.

But yeah, definitely a thing IRL too.

Klee likes this

Reminds me of those high school football players last year who raped an unconsious girl and filmed it and everyone was complaining that they ruined the lives of these young men who 'had so much poential'

People are so fucked up it makes me sick

kirembri likes this

Yeah that made me sick it's fucking ridiculous how common it is on a lesser scale maybe though like brown had this furor recently about only suspending this girl's rapist for like a year and letting him come back with her still on campus like no thought to the psychological ramifications on her just letting a boy get back to his education like he's more important than she is. I mean it's not exactly that intentional because there just weren't procedures but it's just the failure to see things from another human being's point of view