the dude

The Star Wars Thread

9 minutes ago, c.i. said:

yoda showing up to literally set the canon on fire was extremely sick

yeah :lol: i've never seen a movie move back and forth between paying dues to its predecessors and also literally treating it like garbage

"here's a reference to the beautiful movies of the past that are also complete shit and we should spend no further time on them"

ocean likes this

53 minutes ago, c.i. said:

LUKE SKYWALKER: The jedi were fuckin dipshit diaper dumbasses, watch me milk this sea aardvark. 

The best part is how inessential this scene is and how easily it could have been cut, but it wasn't. I just keep imagining Rian Johnson giving an impassioned speech to a roomful of Disney execs about the thematic significance of Luke's milk mustache.

ocean, psycho and flavor like this

Second viewing was helpful in regards to

The scene when Leia wields the force to return to the spacecraft after being blown out by the First Order - I didn’t think it was good at first and found it to detract from the movie but the second time I came to accept it a lot more. It was fine and kinda cool.

ocean likes this

i re-watched the prequels this weekend. i can't explain my actions. some thoughts

episode i

queen amidala is dope. that cool way she talks and that cool makeup. kinda pissed they didn't keep that going.

darth maul still looks pretty cool even if he just like dies. 

episode ii

fuck 100% of this movie. 

episode iii

general grievous is dope

the wookiees are dope

palpatine fighting mace windu is kick ass

you know what except for the vader scene and the cartoony beginning i'm pretty okay with this movie.

ocean likes this

i don't really understand why the consensus seems to be that ep ii is the worst. i think it's salvaged by a charismatic performance by ewan mcgregor which is totally absent in the phantom menace from any character. the first one just seems completely aimless and anything out of the child actor is far more painful than any of the "romance" from ep ii.

ocean likes this

Not even Natalie Portman, who's otherwise a very good actress, is any good in the prequels 

The worst moment for her is when anakin is telling her about how he massacred the sand people (including the women and children!) and all she can muster up is sort of a blank stare followed by completely ignoring this deeply unsettling event

I have to give Lucas credit for somehow making so many decent to excellent actors come across as amateurish onscreen, its almost impressive 

ocean likes this

i guess my point is, as vapid as both are, i feel that Ep 1 contains the pieces to an enjoyable children's movie. Less pseudo heady force explanation and about 2 hours cut off from the podrace and its classic chosen child lil romp.

2 attempts to take on the form of something serious with a man only capable of producing children's stories. I think  it just finds itself much more grand and important than it is, and I hate it that much more for it

That's why the prequels were so baffling to me 

He clearly wanted to tell a more interesting story but he also clearly wanted to make movies that would move toys and he ended up with a trilogy that had jar jar binks, an examination on the failures of democracy, a backflipping yoda, the wanton slaughter of children, and a villain called "Dooku" 

ocean likes this

4 minutes ago, Heart Space said:

If you've seen the six prequel movies you should have a pretty good idea of what's going on in the new films!

I think I've only seen one of the first six films all the way through :lol::|

Episodes 7 and 8 are both fine.

but from who? it seems like SW diverged?