zuval

What Are You Having For Dinner Tonight?

7 hours ago, Creep said:

cheeseburger taco I AM AMERICAN

yeah it was pretty silly but basically just had ground beef with lettuce tomato and cheese dip and jalapeno mayo or something

it's this place that has a basic menu of tacos and build your own enchiladas, but has a rotating list of "specials" and that was one of em

alien likes this

1 hour ago, eeeezypeezy said:

I ate the Christmas leftovers last night :)

My brother's girlfriend made pineapple stuffing and it was fucking amazing, I want to have it all the time.

nom!

last night I had miso soup and vegetarian sushi, 3 maki rolls: kappa (cucumber), avocado, and tempura tofu

had some left over kind of annoyed i forgot to bring them for lunch so that will be at least part of tonight's dinner

eeeezypeezy likes this

14 minutes ago, ocean said:

yeah it was pretty silly but basically just had ground beef with lettuce tomato and cheese dip and jalapeno mayo or something

it's this place that has a basic menu of tacos and build your own enchiladas, but has a rotating list of "specials" and that was one of em

Taqueria del Sol, perhaps? My uncle who lives in Stone Mountain absolutely loves that restaurant. I've eaten there with him a couple of times, and your description of the place you ate sounds like it would fit this place.

Bill likes this

We had some leftover baked potatoes in the fridge that I used to make a basic potato soup with in the new Vitamix last night. It was OK, but a little bland. There's some left that I think I'm going to add some bacon crumbles, cheese and chives to and try it again as loaded baked potato soup.

ocean likes this

24 minutes ago, Do They Know It's pentaChristmas? said:

Taqueria del Sol, perhaps? My uncle who lives in Stone Mountain absolutely loves that restaurant. I've eaten there with him a couple of times, and your description of the place you ate sounds like it would fit this place.

yeah i thought we'd talked about it on here before :W was gonna list it by name but actually thought maybe i'd induce someone to guess :W 

Bill, alien and pentachris like this

20 minutes ago, Do They Know It's pentaChristmas? said:

We had some leftover baked potatoes in the fridge that I used to make a basic potato soup with in the new Vitamix last night. It was OK, but a little bland. There's some left that I think I'm going to add some bacon crumbles, cheese and chives to and try it again as loaded baked potato soup.

feel like if i'm not loading it i want it to at least be potato leek soup. idk maybe you had leeks in it and it was still bland 

4 minutes ago, ocean said:

idk maybe you had leeks in it and it was still bland 

No, it was just chicken bone broth, milk, potatoes, onion, salt, pepper, and a bit of Italian seasoning (the recipe called for rosemary but that's the closest thing I could find in the spice cabinet).

ocean likes this

On 4/14/2016 at 12:29 PM, ocean said:

last night had a lovely cheeseburger taco and cheese enchilada with rice n beans from taqueria del sol but not sure what I'll have tonight...

jfc i didn't even remember that i'd had the cheeseburger taco before :lol:

like practically the same order except who knows what sauce i had on my enchilada that time and i guess may have had either the salsas or cheese dip on the side but didn't say so maybe not

alien likes this

6 minutes ago, ocean said:

pasta rosa sounds good tbh

Oh god I normally love pasta rosa too! But this place sucks. Sometimes it's great but most often it's hard noodles with cheese just melted on top. I ended up ordering the veggie grinder and a side of hillbilly bread...
fuck it

12 minutes ago, alien said:

Oh god I normally love pasta rosa too! But this place sucks. Sometimes it's great but most often it's hard noodles with cheese just melted on top. I ended up ordering the veggie grinder and a side of hillbilly bread...
fuck it

yeah that sounds good, would probably love that hillbilly bread

alien likes this

5 minutes ago, ocean said:

yeah that sounds good, would probably love that hillbilly bread

everytime I see your avi, I'm like yeah I bet you would love that hillbilly bread *thoughts I have towards cats* 

ocean likes this

who was asking for an explanation of "post/av" we got a good example right here

6 minutes ago, alien said:

everytime I see your avi, I'm like yeah I bet you would love that hillbilly bread *thoughts I have towards cats* 

alien likes this

1 hour ago, Tor said:

quark

:bey:

Quark is a type of fresh dairy product made by warming soured milk to 20–27 °C until the desired degree of curdling is met, and then straining it.[1] It can be classified as fresh acid-set cheese,[2] though in some countries it is traditionally considered a distinct fermented milk product.[3] Traditional quark is made without rennet, but in some modern dairies rennet is added.[4] It is soft, white and unaged, and usually has no salt added.

It is common in the cuisines of German-speaking countries (Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Liechtenstein, Luxemburg), northern Europe (Denmark, Estonia, Finland, Iceland, Latvia, Lithuania, Norway, Sweden), the Netherlands,[5][6][7] Hungary, Belgium, Albania, Israel, Romania, of Slavic peoples (e.g. Czechs, Slovaks, Poles, Russians, Ukrainians and Belarusians, Slovenes, Croats, Macedonians, Bulgarians, and Serbs), and of Ashkenazi Jews.[8] It is also fairly common in Canada as well as in the northeastern and midwestern United States.

Dictionaries sometimes translate it as curd cheese, cottage cheese, farmer cheese or junket. In Germany, quark and cottage cheese are considered to be different types of fresh cheese, while in Eastern Europe cottage cheese is usually viewed as a type of quark (e.g. Russian for cottage cheese is "зернёный творог" zernyony tvorog, literally "grainy quark").

Quark is similar to French fromage blanc, Indian paneer, and the queso fresco/queijo fresco made in the Iberian Peninsula and in some Latin American countries. It is distinct from Italian ricotta because ricotta (Italian "recooked") is made from scalded whey. Quark is somewhat similar to yogurt cheeses such as the South Asian chak(k)a, the Arabic labneh, and the Central Asian suzma or kashk, but while these products are obtained by straining yogurt (milk fermented with thermophile bacteria), quark is made from soured milk fermented with mesophile bacteria.

It's popular here as a low-fat replacement for sour creme or creme fraiche. It also has a decent amount of protein which makes it way healthier. It tastes like what's this a cross-over episode of yogurt and sour creme.

ocean likes this

14 minutes ago, Tor said:

It's popular here as a low-fat replacement for sour creme or creme fraiche. It also has a decent amount of protein which makes it way healthier. It tastes like what's this a cross-over episode of yogurt and sour creme.

yeah that sounds like what everyone over here uses greek yogurt for now :W 

i actually just use regular old plain yogurt a lot in things as a replacement for sour cream but that quark sounds good, too bad ive never seen it anywhere here

13 minutes ago, Tor said:

It'll come around. it's a bit more rich in taste than greek yogurt and works better combined with savory foods. it's perfect for burritos the like

oh yeah definitely i notice more variety in our cheese selection every year, really. for xmas i was asked to bring appetizers and i ended up bringing some flavored goat cheese and crackers which is pretty much a staple of such things at this point, but then also i made some grilled halloumi squares with pesto and cherry or grape tomato halves and my entire family had never even heard of it, tbh i probably hadn't heard of it until recent years but that's just from talking to british people on message boards!

13 hours ago, PopTodd said:

Dinner tonight:
hanbun Tasting.jpg

Saam:

1.thumb.jpg.0bb2f1d98449df5a73aa06e1c53c04d7.jpg

Sea Island Red Peas:

2.thumb.jpg.b34f55ab0ee3845637815637e6d15d84.jpg

Salmon (the trout wasn't delivered in time):

3.thumb.jpg.b2ac7dea1d37c88d3418a7094d00a8af.jpg

Trumpet:

4.thumb.jpg.656d3b6dad27a0d2c12cae43ca6197a1.jpg

Flat Iron:

5.thumb.jpg.ec183eb86383e935a29ec2cb2255885d.jpg

Yuzu Kosho (dessert #1):

6.thumb.jpg.24e3524acdf0f12c331db1f52ec78754.jpg

Korean Sweet Potato (dessert #2):

7.thumb.jpg.2fc4fdeebb9cd8d1cb09b5636aac5c90.jpg

Every dish was unique and not just beautiful, but delicious. 

Plus, sitting in the tiny little kitchen space, with the magic happening just a dozen or so feet away was pretty awesome. Also, the group of people (only 9 of us) that were there were all very nice and cool and into the experience;

Here is a picture of our hosts, taken from my dinner seat. You can see just a sliver of my wife on the left-hand side of the picture. That tells you where we were sitting.

5a58bb6ba141f_JenandDave.thumb.jpg.b7d5e94a5ef1b531dca5dc6bbe2c6735.jpg

A wonderful night and one of the best dining experiences that I have ever had. And I've had a few.

pentachris and dunderhead like this

3 minutes ago, eeeezypeezy said:

Flat iron looks good but man, that's the thing about fancy places, it probably cost like >$20 and you'd have to stop for a sandwich on the way home

Not with 7 courses and a bottle of wine (BYO).

2 minutes ago, PopTodd said:

Not with 7 courses and a bottle of wine (BYO).

Ah okay, I didn't realize it was that kind of thing. Ate at a mediterranean hookah place that did it that way and it was awesome. At 10:00 they turned down the lights and brought out a DJ and lights and a belly dancer, we drank way too much booze and puffed on the hookah and probably tipped the dancer too much :lol: