shakes

great internet comments about music

i didnt know where else to put this gem i spotted on a rollign stone link:

I was really disgusted and disappointed to hear that an article titled "the top 100 guitar players in history" excluded a few that deserve many accolades. How could this list exclude Joe Satriani, Yyngwie Malmsteen. and Steve Vai, is beyond my comprehension........ Where did you find the people that made this determination ??? Your sources need a serious head check !!!! Thank God I am not a subscriber to your, apparent, inferior sense of journalism and marketing... Were you paid to post your findings, just like the politicians of today ??????

From a breitbart article about Hailee Steinfeld's new masturbation song:

Foctris 3 days ago

There are times when Sharia could come in handy. SIGH.

Perplexed Cobalt-Blue 3 days ago

Agreed, remember freedom of speech? That's not speech that YOU approve of, it's all speech.

Our Constitution was written by very learned and thinking people.

It's the longest surviving constitution in the world today.

John Perplexed 3 days ago

Our forefathers and early Americans also has standards and respect for themselves and other. If you think they intended for this hussy to have songs like this, then you are a bigger idiot than she is.

shakes, moose and Kemper Boyd like this

I like freedom of speech but only if I agree with the message

I also like the first comment that finally made it clear that these people hate women more than murderous Islamic terrorists

comment on jason isbells facebook page

not be negative but you suck ,you trying too hard with your hidden metaphors ,than again Justin Bieber is popular at least that asshole knows his limitations,should say beware of the asshole

done him

Kemper Boyd and moose like this

Has anyone seen Rolling Stone's 100 greatest songwriters of all time list? Guess who's on it? ABBA, the BeeGees, Bjork, Eminem and Taylor Swift. Guess who's not? The Gershwins, Rogers & Hart, Cole Porter, Irving Berlin, Johnny Mercer, Frank Loesser, Lerner & Lowe, Rogers & Hammerstein, Stephen Sondheim, Leonard Bernstein, Betty Comden & Adoph Green, and Stephen Foster! Are the editors at Rolling Stone idiots?

ban ad hominems likes this

ash's comment from the chatterbox made me giggle mid day today after reading a few days ago :D:p   honestly many of his posts are like very slow burning jokes that, while immediately of interest and with which many have a yes or no relationship, they contain a very deep sense of humor that we all have learned from in certain ways :)

:angry:

tweedly deet!

(jeff!)

Kemper Boyd likes this

I don't think I have ever been more disappointed, 16 year wait for a total bag of garbage, first thing tomorrow I'm returning this cd, please people don't waste your time or money on this piece of trash you will only be disappointed like everyone else, give me the chronic or 2001 otherwise keep your crap in the studio dre, not even gonna go see the movie now strictly because you graced us with this POS, wow who woulda thought such a trash cd could unlock such emotions in a person!? Best keep working on detox dre and recall this garbage

Kemper Boyd likes this

I'm looking for your birthday wishes for Van Morrison and can't find one. I did however find 3 stories about Kanye and 2 about Miley. Rock on Rolling Stone!

man rolling stones facebook page is a damn goldmine right now

AND ANY RESPECT I HAD FOR TAYLOR JUST GOT FLUSHED DOWN THE khanyay...I MEAN CRAPPER....PRESIDENT??? HE HAS SAID MANY TIMES HOW HE HATES AMERICA.........THIS COUNTRY IS FN DOOMED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i like when a capslock rant has so many ellipses cuz i assume the typer is just pounding down on the period key while trying to catch their breath enough to rage on

I wish I could articulate why these are so funny

it must partially be how the silence/negative space is used. concert videos rarely seem to have any stop in the sound and these are always jam packed with, depending on the length fifty to one hundred ish, moments where the sound comes to a complete halt to wonderful effect! :p:)  

whoever made the initial call to generally only overdub the instruments on screen also made a great decision!!

Guest Eat Shadows

You're angry internet, I get that. This is not how popstars are born. The stars of the music industry are either manufactured in the studios of major record labels and loved by indie kids in an ironic "i'm well-rounded and can listen to pop music" kind of way" OR they pay their dues. They start as a secret dear to your heart, they grow and branch out among your favourite music blogs, they win the appreciation of your friends but ONLY because you showed it to them. They get some traction on satellite radio, they slowly start playing larger venues each time they come to your town. By the time they are playing stadiums you are comfortable affectionately talking about the time you once saw them at [insert smaller venue]. They're YOUR baby, your pet project and you watched them grow.

With Lana, you were robbed, tricked and blindsided, right? You welcomed Lana Del Rey into your blogs. Let Gorilla vs. Bear buzz about her and Stereogum, Hipster Runoff and even Pitchfork (even though you are SO OVER Pitchfork) follow suit. You told your friends to watch Video Games on YouTube, you put it on your July mix tape. You were ready for years of a slow growing relationship. Lana as your own little secret. But that phoney, fake-lipped, [insert expletive] had the nerve to ride the wave of momentum from YOUR indie blogs to a major record label deal, from Sirius XMU to FM radio, from Gorilla Vs. Bear to Perez Hilton in less than 4 months. Before your friend even got their September mixtape from you containing Blue Jeans, you saw them post the video on their Facebook. The ultimate betrayal.

What's worse, a bomb is dropped that Lana had a lesser known album under a different name released two years earlier. You feel sick to your stomach that you didn't know about her then. Something, is seriously wrong. This is not the way the music industry works, not on YOUR internet. There is a conspiracy, a plot. She's fake. She's manufactured. She had a record deal all along. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD SHE USED TO HAVE BLONDE HAIR! She's on a leash, she's a slave to the record industry, her past has been erased and her future is carefully being controlled and seeded by a team of hundreds, no THOUSANDS of PR reps. That's it. So what if there are a few inconsistencies to your story? Such as the fact that Lana has never shied away from her past, continues to post songs from her old record, has video evidence of her playing Brooklyn bars for nearly six years and hasn't changed a whole lot of her sound since she was out on her own. Let's continue our crusade.

So what do we do now that we've discovered her little plot? Do we ignore her? Just stop listening to her music? Hell no! We gather the troops and we swarm the internet for every piece of content she's ever written. We watch and listen to it and we criticize. We wait with anticipation for the slightest quiver in her voice and we pounce. We turn on our old blog allies, insisting that if they are covering her they must be being paid to do so. We attack her social media channels where she used to be so active and we let her know exactly what we think. We ignore the fact that her interviews seem to indicate she is a genuinely nice person and that she is genuinely upset by all the backlash and we continue to slam her. In an interview days before SNL, she proclaims her nervousness - obviously in tune to the fact that there are thousands just hoping she'll fail. She does fail and badly. When Video Games ends, she looks like she might throw up. We've got our evidence - she can't sing live, she's a train wreck, she's ugly, she's possibly a man. Her team of thousands, no, MILLIONS of producers may have been able to enhance her voice into sounding decent on the record but she CANNOT sing live! PHONEY! FAKE! We've got her now - and the fact that there are hundreds of other videos of her singing quite capably live aren't going to stop us now.

And we wait for the record to drop. It does. We're ready to pounce - every song can't be as good as Video Games or Blue Jeans. Get ready for her to tank. And our existential crisis continues. Damn.. it's pretty fucking good. It's pop music and it could be radio friendly but its not without risks. Some pretty gorgeous string arrangements, bold use of hip hop beats, and that VOICE. We panic, flipping through track after track trying to find that lemon - desperate to prove to the world that Lana has tricked them just like she tricked us. Nothing. Evidence has never stopped us before, so why let it stop us now? 0.5 Stars! BLAND! BORING! UNORIGINAL! .. Have we mentioned FAKE! PHONEY!

Well guys, you can keep fighting the good fight. I think she's as good as platinum and I think she deserves every bit of it. It could be revealed that despite every evidence to the contrary, Lana actually didn't write a single one of these songs, her voice was digitally altered and she's really Liza Minnelli in a mask and this would still be one of the best pop albums I've ever heard. Or we can trust the evidence we've seen - that a gorgeous, incredibly nice, talented woman who worked her ass off in Brooklyn for six years trying to fulfill her dream of being a singer finally made it and accept the fact that sometimes people get what they deserve and some people really can have it all. Sorry internet.

Isn't Stereogum supposed to be an alternative to top 40 radio garbage, not a champion of it? I can't argue that Travis is good, but I can argue that Spears is bad, and you should know that. We have Billboard if we want to embrace top 40 crap, and Stereogum should be different from Billboard. Stereogum's message should not be "embrace suckoligopoly content".

moose likes this

Not sure if Rolling Stone Magazine have done any articles on the current concert tour of Def Leppard, Stix and Tesla, but WOW! What a fantastic show! We bought cheap lawn seats expecting the bands to maybe be a little "old", but man was I wrong!! They were all fantastic, bands were TIGHT, everyone was up dancing and it was just incredible!!!! Great show. Catch a tour if you can. Signed ~ 70s chick. :-)

ocean likes this

I see pitchfork just got sold to a publishing giant

The last few years of relentless coverage of Miley Cyrus, Taylor swift et al now look like fattening the cow for sale

Really sad

We need a new pitchfork. An independent one that covers alternative music.

moose, flavor and c.i. like this