ban ad hominems

Free Philosophy Thread

Rules: Anyone can post anything here as long as it complies with local laws and/or those laws of the nation in which the board owner resides. The thread cannot be claimed to have any specific purpose. The thread cannot be held accountable for any purpose or any value system. Individual boarders take all responsibility for complying with relevant laws.

^ free phil imposed past. Don't let academia define something as important and open-ended as questioning, thinking, love of wisdom. Also, I knew that site. It's amazing. That and reddit.com/r/philosophy are a pretty rich combo for the price...

but this thread is 'free' in the sense of 'open future' rather than 'costless past', which all input represents. You have to figure something out in order to escape past definitions. I'm not too interested in those, unless prophetic. In this thread, I encourage you to figure out anything, safe from claims of irrelevance or value judgments.

edit: you might actually have trolled me on the logic of allowing all responses, using that against my visions for the thread.

^ free phil imposed past. Don't let academia define something as important and open-ended as questioning, thinking, love of wisdom. Also, I knew that site. It's amazing. That and reddit.com/r/philosophy are a pretty rich combo for the price...

but this thread is 'free' in the sense of 'open future' rather than 'costless past', which all input represents. You have to figure something out in order to escape past definitions. I'm not too interested in those, unless prophetic. In this thread, I encourage you to figure out anything, safe from claims of irrelevance or value judgments.

edit: you might actually have trolled me on the logic of allowing all responses, using that against my visions for the thread.

Like this. :blink:

As an asshole with an Evangelical, right-wing, conservative, speaking-in-tongues, the-end-is-nigh upbringing, I can certainly appreciate Mr Nice's crazy.

He's not wrong about some things. It's a shame he is crazy and a danger to society, though. Hope he gets arrested and gets the help he needs.

psycho and c.i. like this

moose, monoculture is a mistake of our time. If you look objectively at what's happening in the world 2day, you'll agree that diversification and segregation is a good thing. Let's not mix pretentious and basic threads.

I agree that C.I.'s point is valid though. I trust the wisdom of the mod.

I have a bonus comment for Parrot. In order to test the validity of your beliefs, one method is to be exposed to attempts/competition from free thinkers. Apart from that reason for interest in philosophy, there's the additional reason that some areas of inquiry can be earthly while others can be in the realm of faith. It can be stated explicitly whether a discourse is taken from a faith route or a materialistic route. BTW, philosophy doesn't mean 'love of knowledge'. It can hypothetically be wise to disdain knowledge, and thus develop a philosophy against knowledge and even for faith. This shows how a religious person could still love wisdom.

edit: I want to share a paraphrased quote said by Alan Sparhawk in an interview about gay marriage. He basically said "there's a difference between supporting something (traditional marriage) and forcing it on others". Some conservatives come across as wanting to more or less force stuff on others, and that's not really what my heart feels like. But that's basically conservative politics in a nutshell IMO.

I accept powerlessness and the universal absence of free will. That does not imply a lack of responsibility. I do have responsibility for how I relate to my situation, but the situation itself is limiting as fuck, at least in Somalia they have enough chaos to revolt.

Strike that last sentence. Revolt is one of the primary problems of this age. The idea that individuals can figure things out and improve things and progress. It's bullshit. In fact they just move the problem elsewhere so the local situation gives the illusion of improvement. In fact the problem is just moved enough to say it doesn't exist. Politics is the art of moving suffering just out of public consciousness, so the electorate thinks positively of the current term.

Guest Eat Shadows

Do you understand why Google is free?

you are not powerless in this relationship. you don't have to use google and facebook, but you do.

Do you understand why Google is free? While USA is a free country? Do you understand the larger ramifications of freedom, deadlizard?

:lol:

Mr Nice knows NOTHING about freedom.

at least in Somalia they have enough chaos to revolt.

Oh look. Here he is advocating violence again.

How long until he talks about how women are somehow worthy of lesser rights?

Hypothesis:

Humans originate from farmers and hunters respectively. Epigenetics has retained some inclinations of these two psyches over the past generations. The farmer, who cultivated soil, multiplied into today's culture-people, who cultivate social enterprise of words or music or city improvement etc. The hunter, who sought out dominion over other creatures, multiplied into humans who today are inclined to play first-person shooters and hunt criminals (or citizens) and generally hunt stuff that already exists.

Across these two original cultures, you find innovators in both. These found good ideas, out of necessity. Their offspring are today's inventors, creatives, originals, and innovators. These exist both in the predatory offspring and the cultivating offspring of the two stem cultures, hunter and farmer.