📚☕H🍎📚

Last movie you watched

What was the last movie you watched?  Was it any good?

I'll kick things off with The Conversation which I thought was a masterpiece, even if I'm not entirely sure what happened.

A bunch of the "most relevant" clips from the film on YouTube spoil the ending, but this one doesn't and provides some background into Hackman's spy character along with the general premise of the film:

I recently re-watched Cabaret (Bob Fosse, 1972) on an airplane and after that I watched Her (Spike Jonze, 2013), which I liked.  I wish I could have seen Her when it was actually out in cinemas.  However, I really couldn't pay too much attention to it since the screen was so tiny and I was distracted by whatever movie the person next to me was watching.  Not an ideal sitch for any cinematic experience.

If you've never seen Cabaret, then you're seriously doing yourself a disservice.  Liza Minnelli's gadabout chanteuse would make even some of today's spectator's blush.

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. Was great of course, especially Robert Redford. I love when you see a classic film for the first time and finally understand a bunch of references throughout your life that went over your head.

Turnip likes this

Dallas Buyer's Club.

McSpellcheck really is having a run, isn't he. fantastic performance. while it was definitely a good film, I didn't think it was incredible -- all that oscar hype and whatnot. I think in places it painted in too broad of strokes, but that's really just a personal thing.

caught this last weekend, and then earlier this week almost watched HBO's The Normal Heart, figured that might be too many AIDS movies for one week though.

Saw X-Men: Days of Future Past last night. Here is my post from The-Board-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named:

So this movie was exactly what it looked like when it was announced two years ago 

An elaborate way to do a first class sequel AND revive all of the dead x men in the present. It's kinda cheap and very much a classic comic book reboot tactic but it worked because you get to see the first class cast interact with wolverine

Also if they're doing apocalypse next they kinda need jean grey as phoenix to stand a chance, no?

Which is all fine. I had plenty of nerdy nitpicky thoughts throughout but the scenes in Paris and D.C. are among the best of the series.

Was solid, definitely could've been better. Definitely kinda borrowed heavily from Inception and 12 Monkeys at times, but I love those movies, and Jackman/Fassbender/Mcavoy were charming and entertaining so it was worth seeing.

Scorps likes this

Dallas Buyer's Club.

McSpellcheck really is having a run, isn't he. fantastic performance. while it was definitely a good film, I didn't think it was incredible -- all that oscar hype and whatnot. I think in places it painted in too broad of strokes, but that's really just a personal thing.

Agreed on that, film is more about the performances for me than the film itself, but still entertaining. McConaughey and Leto are both great.

Another film that's mostly about acting with a capital "A": August: Osage County. Meryl Streep and even Julia Roberts do very well, but other than their two characters yelling at each other I didn't get much out of it.

Dallas Buyer's Club.

caught this last weekend, and then earlier this week almost watched HBO's The Normal Heart, figured that might be too many AIDS movies for one week though.

I had the option of watching Dallas Buyers Club on the plane too, but went with Her instead. Guess I made the right choice, but it might watch Dallas on the flight back if it's still available.

Her really deserved best original screenplay. There's no way that it would've worked as well as it did if the script was at all clunky.

Not sure how well it will hold up in 5-10 years, but I really enjoyed it. I thought it was an interesting take on the limits of human relationships. The humor was nice too, loved the part where the computer is surveying Phoenix about his life in order to create the a.i. and cuts him off after like 10 seconds into what was surely a lengthy indictment of his mother.

I'll probably watch Phoenix and Amy Adams in anything at this point.

yeah, the way it handled the small details of that world really sold it. that letter writing service for instance could totally exist, even today.

Actually, I didn't buy the letter writing service.  Maybe I wasn't understanding how it works exactly.  Do the recipients of these letters know they are being written by a paid employee?  If they don't know, I just can't imagine how letter recipients could be duped for long enough to sustain that business (as it was portrayed as quite successful).  If they do know the letters from loved ones are being written by someone else, then what's the point of pretending it's in the loved ones hand (font) and signing their name?  The product hides the creator in a way that ready-made gifts (greeting cards, boxes of chocolate do not -- that is, you can see clearly that the greeting card is store bought and we have already accepted this as an acceptable vehicle for telling someone we love them).  In addition, this future reality seems a far cry from where we seem to be heading: digital technology empowers users and real user created content is getting more and more sophisticated.  Think of how people are making their home movies into little well developed narratives.  Video editing software and really good digital cameras eliminate the need to hire an artist to document or enhance your private life.  In any case, given that the new OS is sentient, you'd think they would be employed to do Theodore's job for him.  I think a more realistic future job would be inventing technology and not using it for people.

That being said, I did not dislike the film -- just some of the instances of future-guessing that I thought were a little silly and off base.  How did the creators of the OS not test what would happen when the OSs started conversing with one another?  I did like the 60s/70s fashion that nods to the tendency for style to come back around.

Just saw O Brother, Where Art Thou? on an original 35mm print yesterday afternoon. I love this movie. The print was in pretty good condition. One of the perks of living by the George Eastman house.

watched A Single Man (2009) last night

thought it was quite good. p sad, but filmed beautifully. would recommend :thumbsup:

Such a good movie. It's also responsible for my crush on Nicholas Hoult, though I haven't really been that attracted to him outside of that role.