📚☕H🍎📚

Last movie you watched

watched A Single Man (2009) last night

thought it was quite good. p sad, but filmed beautifully. would recommend :thumbsup:

Such a good movie. It's also responsible for my crush on Nicholas Hoult, though I haven't really been that attracted to him outside of that role.

Julianne Moore nailed it imo

watched A Single Man (2009) last night

thought it was quite good. p sad, but filmed beautifully. would recommend :thumbsup:

Such a good movie. It's also responsible for my crush on Nicholas Hoult, though I haven't really been that attracted to him outside of that role.

Julianne Moore nailed it imo

Firth's best imo. And Moore was just amazing. When I get into a depressed mood with a bottle of wine, I'll rewatch.

SN: that soundtrack is soooooo good.

Jeff Who Lives at Home: It was okay. It's obviously a very likable cast so it's certainly watchable, but ultimately pretty forgettable. 5.5/10

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest: This one just never gets old. Such a great ending. 10/10

Dans la maison - Cute little French movie that deals in voyeurism and unreliable narration. It plays around with its plot in some interesting ways, but it's not as subversive as it could be, and doesn't have a whole lot of bite in the end. It also takes a pretty big turn towards melodrama towards the end, which I could have done without. Still, it was fun.

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - The first half of this is actually pretty remarkable. There are some absolutely gorgeous shots of the apes moving through the woods that have a real sense of scale and motion to them; it's some of the most impressive cg I've ever seen. The plot and characterization are both generally handled well, too. There's one scene right in the middle where everything comes together in one perfect moment and you just have to stop and appreciated how well-crafted it all is. Once it starts getting to the obligatory action stuff towards the end it becomes a lot less compelling, but even that's pretty decent considering the material. It's really hard to make a monkey wielding two machine guns while riding a horse seem anything other than deeply silly, and this comes about as close as I can imagine anything getting. I was very impressed.

There's one scene right in the middle where everything comes together in one perfect moment and you just have to stop and appreciated how well-crafted it all is. 

Caesar getting shot? I thought that scene was great. At first I was thinking that everyone had seen who shot him but when he came up and blamed the humans I was like

damn.  I was a bit disappointed by the inevitable not-actually-dead reveal.

watched joe swanbergs new movie happy christmas last night

pretty solid and i didnt want to punch swanberg the whole time so thats a big improvement over his past roles

also had no idea melanie lynskey was a kiwi :o

her character started speaking and i thought "why would they make melanie lynskey use in accent in this of all movies"

anyway shes great, anna kendrick is great, lena dunham is great, the males in the cast are fine but i would have been fine without them, plus it passes the bechdel :thumbsup:

There's one scene right in the middle where everything comes together in one perfect moment and you just have to stop and appreciated how well-crafted it all is. 

Caesar getting shot? I thought that scene was great. At first I was thinking that everyone had seen who shot him but when he came up and blamed the humans I was like

damn.  I was a bit disappointed by the inevitable not-actually-dead reveal.

Yeah, I loved just about everything about that scene. I wasn't sure what Koba was angling at, killing the guy in the car and setting the ape settlement on fire, then that scene came along and immediately put everything into perspective. I felt like the reveal that Caesar had lived was a big disservice to both characters. It was the perfect end for Caesar's arc, and afterward Koba just turned into a stock villain. I really could have done without the callback to the first movie and the ape brawl on top of the skyscraper.

Before Sunrise

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Before Sunset

:cryevenmore:

Before Midnight

well fuck

Before Sunset might just be my favorite movie

the boat scene

the car scene

the end

it's so good

Saw Sex Tape yesterday (for free, I have a friend who's a manager at the local multiplex :D ).  It was much funnier than I expected! I wouldn't recommend anyone spend money on it, tbh, but if it's on Netflix in the future it's worth a look.

Wolf Creek 2

I was kind of excited to see this. The Mick Taylor character is ridiculously entertaining and terrifying at the same time. The problem is that the movie isn't quite sure what to do with him, he's just the boogey man randomly hunting some one, I wasn't even sure who the antagonist was going to be until 40 minutes into the movie. John Jarret is the only redeeming thing about the movie.

Just watched The Lego Movie.

It was goofy as fuck, but a pretty fun film. Not going to spoil anything but I didn't dig the scenery change near the end.

Wolf Creek 2

I was kind of excited to see this. The Mick Taylor character is ridiculously entertaining and terrifying at the same time. The problem is that the movie isn't quite sure what to do with him, he's just the boogey man randomly hunting some one, I wasn't even sure who the antagonist was going to be until 40 minutes into the movie. John Jarret is the only redeeming thing about the movie.

Yeah it sounded to me like it really did not need a sequel.

Wolf Creek 2

Yeah it sounded to me like it really did not need a sequel.

Yeah there really was no need for a sequel. The more I think about it the opening scene would have made a good short film that showcased the character and didn't out stay it's welcome. That's all that was needed. I did appreciate the use of practical effects where ever possible. It looked awesome and so  many slasher films rely on digital effects which to me removes a certain aesthetic the genre has.

i think i prefer paul thomas anderson>wes anderson

speaking of which: i finally saw the master. 9/10 film right now in my book. need to see it again.

the master is the only PTA I've ever seen :spongebob: don't worry, remedying that soon

but i love the master way more than any wes anderson i've seen so I agree with you already

I kinda like Wes Anderson, but still can't make it through "Moonrise Kingdom" due to those awful kids. They annoy the living shit out of me. And I haven't seen "Grand Budapest Hotel" yet...

I've had The Master on my hard drive for ages, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

I watched Under the Skin last night. It was really hypnotic and did a good job decontexualizing human behavior. Some gorgeous shots in there, too. I didn't like the second half quite as much as the first.