psycho

Nutrition and Exercise

Count me in. I'm on week three of the c25k and I'm surprised at how easy it has been. I've gotten so lazy and squishy that I didn't know if I'd keep up with it. I've realized that one of the things I love about it is the excuse to get out of the house alone for a half hour and getting to know my property a bit better.

Coward, what are you going to do for exercise? Do you have a plan?

Im hoping to start tomorrow so I havent actually taken that first step yet.  I've been a little out of sorts this past week while I worked evenings at the hospital in terms of sleep and all that, but Im done with it now and am hoping to start Insanity again tomorrow or Saturday.  This time around I'm gonna ease into kinda slowly.  While I want to rid of this gut asap, I'm hoping that if I give myself a bit of a break for the first week or two then I wont be in as much pain for that span.  But after that I will try and do the daily exercises and at my peak heart rate all the way through.  The slight difference I am considering this time around is that after the first month of Insanity I might just go to the gym at my school and make use of the facilities there (mandatory fees to join).  And thats simply because I always seem to get sick around the 2nd month of Insanity.  I thought maybe if I just work hard for one month and then start slowing down I might not get such a dumb response from my immune system.  Hopefully.

Beyond that, I guess it would mostly be running or bike work.  I hate running because I get really bored after about 10mins, but I generally run uphill so at least that helps.  I'd be more enthused to bike (10min warmup, then 8sec bursts and 12sec rests for 10min, then another 10min for a cool-down) but those bike seats are ridiculously uncomfortable.  Chapped ass after one go at it.  These sound like excuses because they basically are.

My bday is coming up and Im considering asking for a YMCA gym membership from my parents for the simple reason that I'd have a decent place to go and it might incline me to attend.  Stopping by daily after work would be an ideal kinda situation.

Again I ranted.  Sorry....

I understand why you're recoing that because I keep starting Insanity and then running into issues, but my reasoning is that I need a quick and direct lifestyle change to kick myself into this kind of thing.  I dont "ease" into things well.  Trying to run 3 times a week but not eat shitty wouldnt work for me.  I need to exercise hard and completely alter my diet in one swift move.  

Like I said, Im hoping to start up Insanity again but to get into it easy this time and not run myself ragged, and then once I'm more used to working out (3-4 weeks) i'll switch over to a less strenuous workout schedule and burn off the rest over a longer period of time.  Exercising 3 times a week, for example, just like you said.  Thats the idea behind trying to get into a more manageable and permanent exercise schedule.  I just need the swift kick in the arse beforehand to get things going.

but those bike seats are ridiculously uncomfortable.  Chapped ass after one go at it.

It will pass.

I imagine.  Still, after doing it for a week and checking daily if my ass is bleeding, its not exactly an ideal situation.  But I might work at it again if it means I dont have to run in place and get bored out of my damn mind....

I understand why you're recoing that because I keep starting Insanity and then running into issues, but my reasoning is that I need a quick and direct lifestyle change to kick myself into this kind of thing.  I dont "ease" into things well.  Trying to run 3 times a week but not eat shitty wouldnt work for me.  I need to exercise hard and completely alter my diet in one swift move.  

Like I said, Im hoping to start up Insanity again but to get into it easy this time and not run myself ragged, and then once I'm more used to working out (3-4 weeks) i'll switch over to a less strenuous workout schedule and burn off the rest over a longer period of time.  Exercising 3 times a week, for example, just like you said.  Thats the idea behind trying to get into a more manageable and permanent exercise schedule.  I just need the swift kick in the arse beforehand to get things going.

cannae w8 to read another post of yours about failing insanity ^_^

all i'm saying is that those swift changes rarely work for anyone

Fair enough.  When I was doing it, it was actually in addition to running for about 10-15mins and it was only every couple of days.  Guess I need stick to it for longer and develop a callous on my arse.  Ugh....

I was doing very well with weight watchers and wii fit but I haven't done either in ages.  I've lost all the muscle tone I gained but I've kept most of the weight off.  So far anyway, I do love beer and not moving!

cannae w8 to read another post of yours about failing insanity ^_^

all i'm saying is that those swift changes rarely work for anyone

Dinkus!   :P

Nah, I totally get it, and realize it seems to be a running trend and thats why Im looking at editing my usual trajectory.  I've actually had decent success at starting and keeping it up for a good 3-5 weeks but I always seem to get sick in around that time.  And not a basic cold for a few days, but something that lasts for a couple weeks which ends up completely wrecking what I had going.  One time I even got shingles!  Still, its not worth trying to commit to it fully again and having it blow up in my face so I just want to use Insanity as a way to get myself going this time around and then converting to a more basic and sensible calorie-burning regimen that is less difficult, longer term, and more permanent.  

insanity is really bad for your knees and i'm not sure why anyone would want to fuck up their knees for a couple of months of looking fit

i got myself a fitbit recently which is basically a fancy pedometer and i'm really liking it so far. i think my issue all along was that for the longest time i really wanted to look like jessica alba from into the blue but i work on my ass for 8 hours a day and i can't spend 2 hrs a day on exercise because i'm not a wonsley maniac. i also love food and i'm not built to be petite. getting lower standards for myself was one of the best things i've ever done because i'm actually getting in shape now and i'm a lot happier with my body

I was doing very well with weight watchers and wii fit but I haven't done either in ages.  I've lost all the muscle tone I gained but I've kept most of the weight off.  So far anyway, I do love beer and not moving!

I think my principle weight-gain issue is beer and/or rum.  Too much indulgence and too frequently.  I already eat pretty well but the empty calorie intake is far beyond healthy so I still manage to gain pounds.  Thats actually one of the things that is so frustrating for me is that I eat well to begin with.  I eat fairly simple oven-roasted chicken breast about 4 times a week, toss in a random soup for dinner or maybe a Mahi-Mahi burger and thats about it.  And 99% of the time my lunches are salad with olive oil.  That really kinda say something about my alcohol intake, doesnt it?  haha!  Yeesh.  i really need a different hobby....

I'm mostly kidding, just be careful. People throw themselves into those workout programs like insanity and p90x and totally ignore the warning that you're not supposed to be doing the exercises as intensely or quickly as the people on the video.  You're supposed to go at your own pace, paying the most attention to correct form, so that you don't end up with jacked up knees and back.

insanity is really bad for your knees and i'm not sure why anyone would want to fuck up their knees for a couple of months of looking fit

i got myself a fitbit recently which is basically a fancy pedometer and i'm really liking it so far. i think my issue all along was that for the longest time i really wanted to look like jessica alba from into the blue but i work on my ass for 8 hours a day and i can't spend 2 hrs a day on exercise because i'm not a wonsley maniac. i also love food and i'm not built to be petite. getting lower standards for myself was one of the best things i've ever done because i'm actually getting in shape now and i'm a lot happier with my body

I know all about the knees issue with Insanity and I avoid those exercises that are detrimental.  I sub in a different exercise during those.  "Power Knees"?  Jumping into the air and slapping your knees and then landing with bent knees?  No thanks, I'll just do simple Mountain Climbers instead.  Im not a complete idiot, just a semi-idiot.   :P

My standards are probably a little high, but at the same time I definitely take notice to even small differences in weight loss so I dont think I have an unhealthy expectation as to what I would like to achieve.  And like I said, I just need this initial kick in the ass to get going.  If I tried to got to the gym 3 days a week to begin with, Im absolutely certain I'd go the first time and then never again.  Its just the way I am.  I need to start with something that commands attention right away.  I need a 6-day per week regimen to being with (but I'll do it less intense this time around) and then ease into exercising less often.  

I gotta say, and this might sound bonkers, but I feel like if I posted something like this on the ateaseweb forum I'd be getting chewed up right now.  You guys are all really positive and helpful in your posts.  Pretty cool.  Thanks.  Kinda like this board.  I never understood the appeal of everyone trying to be dicks to one another.  Haha.... :)

ocean likes this

I had a gym membership for a while but I don't know dick about weight lifting, so I was pretty much just doing cardio, which I was already doing plenty of at home on my wii fit.  SOooo I let my membership lapse

I had a gym membership for a while but I don't know dick about weight lifting, so I was pretty much just doing cardio, which I was already doing plenty of at home on my wii fit.  SOooo I let my membership lapse

Cardio is 100% what Im about.  I dont care about building muscle in any great regard, I just want to lose weight.  Thats another reason why I enjoy Insanity.  I like being able to do it at home 'cause Im kinda self-conscious, and the only weight you use is your own body weight.  It builds a bit of muscle, but is almost entirely about burning fat.  

I actually have a gym membership at my school because its part of the tuition fees but its always busy and shitty equipment so i pretty much never indulge.  Hoping to join the local YMCA later this year (again) and make good use of that once I get going.  Its not exactly cheap, and Im a broke-ass student, but i think it would be a step in the right direction.

I gotta say, and this might sound bonkers, but I feel like if I posted something like this on the ateaseweb forum I'd be getting chewed up right now.  You guys are all really positive and helpful in your posts.  Pretty cool.  Thanks.  Kinda like this board.  I never understood the appeal of everyone trying to be dicks to one another.  Haha.... :)

It's really nice, isn't it?

coward, why don't you buy a rowing machine? if I had the space then I'd totally invest in one of those

I do like rowing machines, but I don't have room for something like that. I had a treadmill for a while but it was junk and kept suddenly shutting off for no reason (talk about wrecking your knees!) but have gotten rid of it and that space is now taken up by another bookshelf and my guitar and mics and shit.

I didn't start exercising today. Sigh. :(

I didn't unfuck my sleep habits enough post-evening shifts so by the time I woke up and did all my errands today, it was 8pm. I don't like exercising in the evening because I worry about making a bunch of noise for the people below me as I bounce around my apartment. Tomorrow I'm planning a decent wakeup time, going to the farmers market, studying for an upcoming exam, and then getting started in the early afternoon. It's on my schedule! So this time it's gonna happen or I'm gonna be really damn disappointed in myself! :angry:

Go go you can do it!

It's so easy for things to get in the way of exercising. Probably because exercising requires the stars to line up, in a way, even if it's not time-consuming. You want to do it at a time that is convenient for you (and for others) and a time when you can shower afterwards, and not really close to a meal.... etc etc

You really have to plan for it and make it happen and I know you will! :cheerleader:

Also because I'm naturally lazy. And I hate that, but I definitely am. Another thing to work on.

But thanks for the motivation!

This is gonna be a good thread to be a part of. We can keep each other going. :)

Thinking about running is just as tiring as running, then you get so tired from thinking about it that you can't bring yourself to actually run because then you're twice as tired.

I really have that problem. If I just wake up and get out of bed and go I'm fine but if I wake up and cuddle and laze for a minute I start to think about how I should be running, and then I feel guilty, and then I just mentally wear myself out while still in bed.

The kid woke me up at 6 this morning to complain that she was cold rather than turning the damn fan off herself. So I took advantage of the cool morning and went for a run. Scared a bunch of deer out of the swamp and had a lovely time, actually.

How common are they? Are they all over the place? Is there kangaroo roadkill? Was it weird getting used to seeing an animal in the wild that you grew up thinking of as being exotic (I'm assuming)?

everyone's solution is to adopt a decent sized dog and to start going for runs with it.  you'll feed off its energy.  and you'll feel guilty if you keep skipping runs cause your dog will start to get bummed out cause it's the highlight of his every day to go get out on the trails with his master.