psycho

Nutrition and Exercise

@Gaia Yes yes yes yes! I don't see them every day but that's only because I don't get up early enough and go around bushy areas. They're plentiful, like deer. They get hit by cars, like deer. They often get up from said accidents and hop away, like moose. There are kangaroo crossing signs all over!

Seeing them is awesome, but since I grew up in Colorado with deer and elk it's not too weird seeing the Australian equivalent. What IS weird is seeing cockatoos and parrots everywhere. Beautiful exotic colourful birds all over the place, it's amazing. We recently stopped to watch a bunch of parrots dangling from branches and cracking open seeds, tweeting and chirping and cooing at each other, it was incredible.

@Creep That is one really great thing about dogs. Every time I have a dog I suddenly find myself hiking and running so much more because they love it and I love to see them happy. If I had one, it would definitely keep me on track when it comes to running. I'm sure Moose won't mind if I just nip down to the pound real quick....

I really want to get a dog but my building doesn't allow pets (except the blind guy down the hall, for obvious reasons). :(

I actually considered moving so I could get one but it's approximately a year until I'm done school and plan to move far away so no sense in going through a big move just to go through another in a years time. Plus my apartment is great value for the area, I'd hate to give it up. I want a puggle!

@Creep That is one really great thing about dogs. Every time I have a dog I suddenly find myself hiking and running so much more because they love it and I love to see them happy. If I had one, it would definitely keep me on track when it comes to running. I'm sure Moose won't mind if I just nip down to the pound real quick....

do it do it do it.

I really want to get a dog but my building doesn't allow pets (except the blind guy down the hall, for obvious reasons). :(

same.  sometimes i do think "why am i wasting my active years not having a dog by my side".  they just add so much joy.  you can do frisbee with them easily and stuff too.  lots to do.  but yeah i'll be in this apartment at least another year... and then i dunno.  i just don't know when it will be practical.

I lost 7 pounds after stopping taking melatonin

had no clue melatonin could do that.  i was thinking of starting melatonin soon.  WHAT THE FUCK.

what about valerian root?  that's supposed to help some people sleep but has the opposite effect for some.

oh fuck  me neither

good to know

I started taking it again but in much smaller doses and only 3 times a week. it takes away my brain fog/depression/anxiety and gets me to sleep at a reasonable time most of the time

it also makes my periods more regular which is pretty insane

My bday is coming up and Im considering asking for a YMCA gym membership from my parents for the simple reason that I'd have a decent place to go and it might incline me to attend.  

haha i'm so awful, i've been on my parents' family membership since i was like 12, and i've never completely made a habit of it. I think it's not much more to have a family membership than two adults so i don't feel bad but i def feel better when i do it. i used to do the elliptical + weight machines but lately i've just been using it to go to "free" yoga classes. damnit i need to actually go to those!!! 

but mostly for exercise i've been finding it much more enjoyable to get out on my bike and ride to parks and stuff. i'm such a weirdo nerd-slacker that my favorite thing is to take a chillum of weed with me and smoke hits in gorgeous greenspaces :lol: and sometimes i bring a book with me in my backpack and find a perch to read on and wedge my bike somewhere safe nearby. if i trick myself into thinking it's free time i get more excited about it. usually i ride ~10 miles but sometimes its 13+, depending on where I go. also sometimes i loan my boyfriend my car and then ride my bike to a friend's house or even to the ymca to do yoga. 

I think my principle weight-gain issue is beer and/or rum.  Too much indulgence and too frequently.  I already eat pretty well but the empty calorie intake is far beyond healthy so I still manage to gain pounds.  Thats actually one of the things that is so frustrating for me is that I eat well to begin with.  I eat fairly simple oven-roasted chicken breast about 4 times a week, toss in a random soup for dinner or maybe a Mahi-Mahi burger and thats about it.  And 99% of the time my lunches are salad with olive oil.  That really kinda say something about my alcohol intake, doesnt it?  haha!  Yeesh.  i really need a different hobby....

i've often found when i get really drunk i end up not eating much or passing out early whereas when i don't drink or i drink lightly i tend to snack compulsively. idk hard to tell long term.

i tracked my weight since january '13 with the myfitnesspal app (ignoring the other functions) and it was quite interesting to see the weekly fluctuations. I lost weight pretty steadily for the first 8 or 9 months, ~15 lbs in that time, then for the next ~9 months i slowed down a little, lost about 5 to 10 lbs, but in the past few weeks i've been hovering back up about 5 pounds. It's probably just my more sedentary lifestyle, not cooking for myself as much, and eating out too often, but i wonder if my taking melatonin occasionally has influenced it at all.

but anyway tracking my weight every day and not being too worried about daily weight gains and more concerned abou the overall trend was kinda interesting. i often found that when i lost more weight than usual over a day or two i would end up compulsively bingeing later on whereas there was a kind of sweet spot where if i lost only a tiny amount per day i wouldn't end up ravenously eating too much in the next few days

definitely want to get back to that n all but i'm in a little bit of a rut now where i was averaging 165 for like 3-4 months then in the last few weeks ive been more like 170so i've been reluctant to record a new weight until i'm back closer to the last weight i recorded, 165.2 on july 9th. i know this is silly and if i just recorded the~170 i could get a fresh start so maybe i'll record tomorrow morning and see where i get from there. 

Been on a pretty big working out/eating healthy kick since the beginning of June which has consisted working out five-six times a week and cutting out a majority of foods that are either a) carb based or b ) high in sugar (pretty much anything above 18g on any given food package). I eat oatmeal for breakfast, a sandwich on whole wheat bread for lunch and a protein bar mid afternoon but that's pretty much it as far as carbs go. Reconfiguring my diet has been challenging at times but I ultimately find myself having more energy throughout the course of the day, which was my primary intention at the start of this whole process (I don't drink coffee ::2). I've also found that working out consistently (interval bike training, lifting, running, etc) helps to prevent crashing and burning at 2:30 pm when I still have 3 more hours of work to go. 

It wasn't my goal at the beginning of this whole process but I've lost 15-16 lbs since starting the start of June. I've always had a lean build for the most part but I've been able to trim unneeded stomach fat while simultaneously building more muscle. 

harcourt™ likes this

I beg your pardon? Cinnamon takes a back seat to no babka. People love cinnamon. It should be on tables in restaurants along with salt and pepper. Anytime anyone says, "Oh This is so good. What's in it?" The answer invariably comes back, Cinnamon. Cinnamon. Again and again. Lesser babka - I think not.

ihaveproblems‽, shakes and ocean like this

just don't get the oatmeal with the chocolate chips in.

that and bloody chocolate cheerios, what has this world come to

ugh yeah

I don't do instant oats tho I have old fashioned rolled oats and I have steel cut which were always my fav but take a while though I've experimented with overnight crock pot. I have made raw overnight oats with chopped dark chocolate and almonds before tho :w

cinnamon is the best tho

But with Cheerios I have always been in love with plain I even think honey nut Cheerios are too sweet :w