shakes

thread to discuss milkshakes, smoothies, floats and other assorted blended beverages

Five years ago, before Yelp became particularly helpful, I spent a while looking for a place that sold a decent vanilla milkshake in Amsterdam.  The first time I was directed to "the best shakes in town" I ended up somewhere that sold smoothies.  The second place I went to sold bubble tea.  The (Dutch) online reviewers kept remarking how the bubble tea place sold them the "best shakes they ever had".

eeeezypeezy likes this

No!

I have a smoothie for breakfast almost every day. It's cashews, chia seeds, banana, OJ, sometimes plain homemade yogurt, sometimes spinach, frozen blueberries and frozen strawberries.

And PB and banana smoothies are great. 

1 minute ago, gaia said:

No!

I have a smoothie for breakfast almost every day. It's cashews, chia seeds, banana, OJ, sometimes plain homemade yogurt, sometimes spinach, frozen blueberries and frozen strawberries.

And PB and banana smoothies are great. 

smoothies like this are good as hell but can get pretty $$$$ if you're making them with frequency no?

unless this is all stuff you grow yourself?

10 minutes ago, Hoogie Boogie Land said:

My hope in the future is to consume more vegetables primarily through finely-blended smoothies and sauces.  I barely tolerate spinach on its own, but in a smoothie it merely serves to make the smoothie slightly less delicious.

over the past few years I've overcome my aversion to veggies but before that my solution was to make green vegetable purees and add them to assorted sauces and soups and whatnot. 

1 hour ago, C.I. said:

smoothies like this are good as hell but can get pretty $$$$ if you're making them with frequency no?

unless this is all stuff you grow yourself?

We do pick strawberries locally and freeze a few month's worth. We've had terrible luck growing our own. Someday we'll get the hang of it! Local blueberries are obviously easy to come buy (I buy them by the 25lb. case). Trader Joe's has cheap nuts when we stock up when we venture to the city. There actually is a family with a greenhouse-grown banana tree in town! They donated a whole giant stem of bananas to the school a few years ago. But yeah, it probably does add up anyway. I don't even know. But it's healthy and fills me up until lunch and easy, so that's ok.

When I was being semi-healthy and working out I would drink two smoothie things a day. I'd put in strawberries, blackberries, raspberries, blueberries, coconut milk, greek vanilla yogurt, flaxseeds, kale or spinach and some ice. Magic bullet the shit out of it and slurp it down, usually shirtless. 

psycho likes this

On March 18, 2016 at 4:43 PM, Parrot said:

When I was being semi-healthy and working out I would drink two smoothie things a day. I'd put in strawberries, blackberries, raspberries, blueberries, coconut milk, greek vanilla yogurt, flaxseeds, kale or spinach and some ice. Magic bullet the shit out of it and slurp it down, usually shirtless. 

ha brocean also makes a smoothie post workout and drinks it shirtless on the deck in the sun. he eats handfuls of spinach, and then makes smoothie with protein powder pb frozen fruit and juice. he also eats bananas separately from smoothies, I've never liked nanners in smoothies but well ripe ones in a milkshake or something creamy are good. 

my own smoothies are more like some kinda frozen fruit, sometimes plain yogurt, always chia and flax seeds that I bought in bulk that last forever in the freezer, and some mixture of juice or coconut water or milk or whatever sounds good honestly 

I had an Oreo milkshake for the first time in at least 2 years when we went to the coast for a long weekend last month. It was what I imagine a religious experience might be like.

If milkshake was god and Oreo was prayer. 

ocean and dunderhead like this

On April 1, 2016 at 6:34 PM, gaia said:

I don't mind a little chunk of frozen strawberry. I make sure the nuts are well blended though.

ditto

well I don't put nuts in them but I do use chia seeds and flax seeds :W