harcourt™

Nature, hiking, pretty places, etc

Those are fantastic hikes! I like walking around naturey areas but they tend to be a little tamer on a daily basis, though I have been on a few more spectacular ones. Was just thinking today that that's one of my favorite hobbies, just finding various pockets of nature in my city and walking around in them

When moose was visiting Colorado we had the pleasure of seeing little baby bighorn sheep up close and personal. Right before I flew out to Australia I went to the same place for one last hiking hurrah and I saw young bighorn in the same spot! I'm certain they were the same ones, the cuddly little rascals!

I have though! Not just Moose, but a moose. It was big. I don't think moose territory extends very far into Colorado, but next time we're up there I'd like to head through Yellowstone and see what we can see. Hopefully a moose.

The only moose I've ever seen in person I also saw in Colorado!  I was on some twisty, two-lane road that ran along a river canyon, I guess it was a place where people go hiking and kayaking and stuff in Rocky Mountain National Park.  Beautiful drive.  But anyway, about halfway up into the mountains this giant moose comes strolling down the shoulder in the opposite direction.  It was awesome.

I've gone camping / climbed mountains / hiked in Maine, New Hampshire, and VT multiple times and I've always wanted to see a moose really really badly for whatever reason, still waiting on that magic moment though :(

Yeah, RMNP has been a good place for moose lately. I never saw them much when I was younger, but I've seen them a few times.

A couple years ago I was almost back at the trail head and realized my dog was missing. It wasn't long before she was running down the trail with a big ol' honking bull moose behind her. Pretty great.

In Alaska the fuckers were everywhere. Poor families could get some sort of voucher to harvest road kill moose if they could get the meat off the road quick enough.

I am sad you haven't got your 666th post yet. For a second I thought you made it in this thread and that would have made me happy.

Alas, no.

I noticed I was getting close yesterday and thought of you. Looks like I just did 666 with a comment about Phish, though.

Contemplating going to Joshua Tree with a friend this Friday.  I love the place, and scrambling up boulders hundreds of feet high sounds wonderful, but it's going to be 110 degrees out there with a strong chance of rattlesnakes.

Cell phone photo from the last time I was there:

aMc8ynm.jpg

I love Joshua Tree.

You should go. It is going to be a full moon, so make the most of the cooler evenings — it will still be incredibly hot — and sleep during the day.

Going back to the land this weekend. Going to finalize site selection for the cabin.

I wish it wasn't so far away, though. :(

I love Joshua Tree.

You should go. It is going to be a full moon, so make the most of the cooler evenings — it will still be incredibly hot — and sleep during the day.

Going back to the land this weekend. Going to finalize site selection for the cabin.

I wish it wasn't so far away, though. :(

It would be an afternoon day-trip (two hour drive from here), so it's a late afternoon heat, which will still probably be hot enough.  We like to go out and scramble around the endless rock formations behind Barker Dam, then drop by '>Pappy And Harriet's for dinner on the way back into town.  I could probably go out there every weekend, it's amazing, but a Joshua Tree hike in mid-July after a day at work sounds a little daunting.  I'm torn.

That is daunting.

If getting out there isn't much of a challenge, it makes more sense to wait until autumn. A few hours of scrambling in the heat might not be that miserable if you are well-hydrated, etc, but it isn't ideal.

I've gone camping / climbed mountains / hiked in Maine, New Hampshire, and VT multiple times and I've always wanted to see a moose really really badly for whatever reason, still waiting on that magic moment though :(

I've never hiked for days like you have but I did see a moose in Montana, lets go thur

One of the few benefits of living in Alberta is having the Rocky Mountains a mere 3hrs away. I've done a lot of hiking around there and there's plenty of wildlife to see. Lots of black bears, grizzly bears, deer, bighorn sheep, mountain goats, and, yes, moose. My parents actually saw a moose get hit by a truck when it ran out onto the highway. The truck got wrecked pretty bad, but the moose just got back up and ran off into the forest. Crazy!

I don't have any of my own photos online to share, but definitely the best hike I've done is Corcovado National Park in Costa Rica. 20km in through rainforest to the ranger station where we stayed a few days and explored, and then 17km out along the beach. Incredible experience, I highly recommend it if you ever get the chance. But bring lots of water (I drank all 6L I brought in about 5hrs on the hike in). TONS of wildlife. Tapirs, peccaries (boars), monkeys, iguanas, coatis, agoutis, snakes (saw a Fer-de-Lance! :fun:), a few dozen different kinds of birds (toucans, macaws, pelicans, etc), hundreds of different insects, and a puma even walked across the front lawn of the ranger station! Of course it was 5min after we arrived and we were all showering at the time so we missed it. :(

More info (and photos) if anyone is interested: http://corcovadoguide.com

Best travel experience of my life. :)

If I get to go, I'll try and do so. Unfortunately I am currently doing my unpaid clinical practicum for school so on top of working 40 (or more) hours per week, I'm also not getting paid. That doesn't allow a lot of time nor money for any real travels, even ones so close. :(

Edith Cavall is pretty nice. If you're ever in the area again, I recommend heading south of Jasper a few hours near Lake Louise and checking out Moraine Lake. Very beautiful spot with some very nice hikes of varying difficulty and length. One I've hiked is fairly flat and leads to another lake where some people like to swim, another is more difficult as it is switchback trails up the side of a mountain and takes you to a lovely plateau with fantastic views. And you can go even further up to the peak but I didn't get a chance to do that because we stopped quite a few times the day that we hiked it and ran out of time. It's a little touristy there but I suppose that's because it's so nice and Moraine Lake used to be on the back of our $20 bill.

Moraine Lake: http://www.albertawow.com/hikes/Moraine_Lake/Moraine_Lake.htm

Another nice one further south (and, actually, in British Columbia) is Takakkaw Falls. It's in Yoho National Park, which is actually less frequented by tourists than Jasper National Park or Banff National Park so it allows a less crowded hike with more opportunities to see wildlife. The falls themselves are right at the beginning of the hike, but there are a couple trails around there too. One of them is fairly long, I believe around 20km one way which leads to a hotel that is only accessible on foot. Apparently they fly food and supplies in by helicopter! I did this hike many many years ago with my parents, and we actually only hiked halfway in (8-10km), had a late lunch, and then turned back, so perhaps things have changed around there since, but I remember it being really nice, quiet, and peaceful.

Takakkaw Falls: http://www.everytrail.com/guide/takakkaw-falls-to-yoho-lake-circuit

(Doesn't outline the long hike I mentioned to the hotel, so I can't confirm whether that one is even still open since it's been so long since I was there. I do remember reading that they considered closing it at one point but never heard if they actually did. Still, lovely area with other hikes available)

damn i don't think i ever got around to uploading pictures of utah, idaho, wyoming, etc. that was years ago wow. really gotta do that soon

closer to home there's a lot of cool places to hike with abandoned mills n stuff though:

1424325_10100330504802531_1820834161_n.j

recently i went to this park that used to have a house, and apparently all that's left are two chimneys which i took experimental panoramas of 

10489653_10100471287063751_1600843173281

10401972_10100471287053771_4018859690633

1907660_10100471287058761_74926117890317

moose, coward and kirembri like this

^
Those are rad. I love that "nature overtaking man-made structures" look.

I just remembered I have a Flickr account I haven't used or even looked at in ages. Managed to track it down. I think it's all stuff from my first Costa Rica trip...
https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/49623715@N05/

I'd post a couple individual photos but its been so long since I used the account that technically its being "recycled" and wont let me sign into it anymore, yet the photos remain.  Anyhoo, there are some of my fav photos I've ever taken on there.  I have two great ones of a young sloth who came crawling down a low-hanging branch so I was able to get about arms-length away from him.  Pretty wild stuff.

There is also an image entitled "grim" because it looks like the grim reaper is waiting for me at the end of the trail...  :ph34r:

Damn those are so cool! ^^

There is also an image entitled "grim" because it looks like the grim reaper is waiting for me at the end of the trail... :ph34r:

holy crap this one is creepy

:shock:

:lol: Yeah, i thought it looked pretty cool. Came to a bend in the trail and looked ahead and saw that so I took a pic. I think it just ended up being a tree with coincidental shade over its trunk, but I couldn't even make out what it was until I was about halfway there.