harcourt™

Nature, hiking, pretty places, etc

Might be doing a golfing trip to Jasper or Banff (or surrounding area) in the next week or two so might get a couple Rocky Mountains pics after all. :)

Mind you, they'll be of the area and not hikes but whatevz...

The highest point in Kansas is only miles away from the Colorado border.

Ditto the high points for Oklahoma and Nebraska. New Mexico is also fairly close.

The lowest point in Colorado is higher than the high point for half the states.

The best part about Colorado is how motherfucking high it is, if you know what I mean.

Come back to Denver, Moose.

I just realized that I never posted pictures from when we went camping in the autumn and the leaves were all pretty.

Mind, the leaves aren't as pretty in Colorado as they are in New England or even BC. But I'm going to post them anyway.

Maybe we'll climb the highest mountains in Oklahoma and New Mexico next time we're stateside, too, just to continue our lifetime achievements.

We'll be back for a wedding in the next couple of years, probably not yours though! Sorry  :>

I remember being impressed and happy about seeing the mountains of New Mexico when we returned through it after being in Texas for half a week. I reckon I'll just break down in tears when we're in Colorado again and I'm among my mountains once more.

I've only been away for a week and I miss the mountains. Mostly my dogs.

It would be very difficult to move to the opposite side of the world.

I moved to Alaska when I was 22 and it was rough for me. But it wasn't all that far and there were lots of mountains still and I hated my family.

Still remember crying when I came in for the night after a New Years eve party where I knew no one.

That's rough :(

I could recognize the mountains around my hometown even if I were blind. They're just as family as family and nothing says home quite like the two particular peaks on either side of the valley.

People at work were talking about travel today, Costa Rica came up, got nostalgic when I got home after work and looked at photos, now I'm trying to figure out a way to win the lottery so I can quit school and go hike Corcovado again.

Ugh! First trip I make once I graduate and start making money is back there to hike it again....

Sorry, nothing really to add to this thread at the moment, just venting. My only trip this whole year will probably be 3hrs from here to go to a school/work-related conference. Sigh...

I've gone swimming with bioluminescent plankton a few times and it's pretty incredible. One year our driveway was lined with lightning bug larvae that just laid in the dirt and wiggled and glowed. It took a while for us to figure out if that was real or if we were imagining it. I love little glowing critters.

ocean likes this

I've gone swimming with bioluminescent plankton a few times and it's pretty incredible. One year our driveway was lined with lightning bug larvae that just laid in the dirt and wiggled and glowed. It took a while for us to figure out if that was real or if we were imagining it. I love little glowing critters.

More rambling Costa Rica memories:

I'm reminded of sitting on the patio of the inner ranger station after our hike in late at night and watching the sparkling flash of lightning bugs dancing all over the lawn in front of us.

We wanted to go try and catch some, but the fear of snakes in the grass was very real so even if we were brave enough then wouldn't let us.

Still.... awesome visual.....

yeah SORRY I couldn't recall what I posted before cuz I didn't see em itt but whatever right

And you're correct Sherman ordered it burned

New Manchester Manufacturing Company

This mill was built in 1849 on Sweetwater Creek, about 15 miles west of Atlanta. The mill was designed to produce a type of yarn from cotton called Osnaburg. In 1861 the Company contracted with the Confederate Government to produce material for Confederate uniforms. The mill/factory combination was five stories tall, bigger than any building in Atlanta at that time. By 1864 most of the men were fighting in the Confederate Army. The 60 to 70 employees at the mill consisted mostly of women and their children. A small contingent of Militia known as the “Sweetwater Guards”, were stationed at the mill.

On July 2, 1864 Union Cavalry commanded by General George Stoneman captured the mill and village around it. On the 9th the entire village and mill were destroyed. General Sherman ordered that everyone connected with the mill be arrested, including the children of the women workers. All were taken to Marietta and imprisoned. While there they were joined by the workers from the Roswell Mills that had also been arrested. This group was taken from Marietta to Louisville, KY and imprisoned there. Those that agreed to sign an “Oath of Allegiance” to the United States Government were then released north of the Ohio River in Ohio and Indiana. A condition of their release was that they could not return south until the war ended. Those that didn’t sign the oath remained in prison until after the war. Although many of the former workers were never heard from again, most made it back to Georgia after the war.

The factory and town at New Manchester were never rebuilt. Today the ruins are part of the 2,035 acre Sweetwater Creek State Conservation Park at Lithia Springs, GA.

Narrative by Scott Jackson, GA