Kindergarten Plop

THE PODCAST THREAD

7 minutes ago, dunderhead said:

Wait, was the pretentious caller Troy? The guy talking about having mean kids and Charles Manson? :lol:

If you aren't on Tom's exact wavelength, I can totally see the show as amateurish and bumbling

It was the first caller, a woman talking about her anxiety problems and bumping into her favorite director or something

59 minutes ago, eeeezypeezy said:

It was the first caller, a woman talking about her anxiety problems and bumping into her favorite director or something

Her call got better as it went on and actually ended with a fun story.

Really, there's only one regular caller that I can't stand and that's because basically everything out of their mouth is so "woe is me". I'm sure that anyone that has even listened to two episodes knows exactly who.

On 11/28/2017 at 5:14 PM, dunderhead said:

Really, there's only one regular caller that I can't stand and that's because basically everything out of their mouth is so "woe is me". I'm sure that anyone that has even listened to two episodes knows exactly who.

Is it....you?

Finally listened to the culture episode of The Discourse Collective about the movie IT, was very good. About Pennywise as a metaphor for capital and the problematic nature of Beverly's portrayal and Pennywise's implicit queerness :fun:

Currently listening to a podcast recapping the Animorphs series :lol: It's hosted by three people, one who's a superfan, one who vaguely remembers it from childhood, and one who's coming in completely blind. They refer to Visser Three's Elfangor-killing morph as "the hentai fuckbeast" :tear:

e: it's called The Dork-Bajir Chronicles

http://www.nightvalepresents.com/ionlylistentothemountaingoats I think there are a couple mountain goats fans on the board - I don't know anything about this podcast or if it's any good but my sister's boyfriend did a lot of sound work for it and it is currently paying his bills :) 

dunderhead likes this

Good bit in the new free Chapo

They're talking about how with Trump it's just one thing after another, and scandals and gaffes that would have ended earlier administrations (or at least caused some high-level resignations) bubble up and get forgotten in the space of a few days or a few weeks, and then this clip cuts in

Donna: Do you think that if you were falling in space... that you would slow down after a while, or go faster and faster?

Laura: Faster and faster. And for a long time you wouldn't feel anything. And then you'd burst into fire. Forever... And the angels wouldn't help you. Because they've all gone away.

This week's Intercepted is really good! Interviews with Tulsi Gabbard and David Harvey, and a look into the Trump/Russia stuff and the Steele dossier.

I was a bit concerned when they had Gabbard defending the use of limited drone strikes, but then Harvey is a Marxist anthropologist and he basically said "google murray bookchin."

Anyone ever listen to Hardcore History? I'm years late to the party but I'm listening to the WW1 series now and it's pretty incredible. I kinda wish he'd slow down a bit because there's so much information,  but Carlin is a hell of a broadcaster.  I'm happy that I finally jumped on that train.

This was a good listen: https://www.blubrry.com/thedig/30499932/that-trump-book-tho-with-patrick-blanchfield/

Your first Diglet of the new year, and we’re talking about that Trump book. At n+1 Patrick Blanchfield makes the case that Fire and Fury is not, as some might think, a bunch of meaningless palace-intrigue that has distracted us from what Trump is doing to destroy the environment and wage relentless class war against the poor. Rather, the book in one fell swoop exposes the Trump administration for the dangerously hot mess that we all knew it was but were entirely unable to understand clearly because the deluge of drama and weird tweets had rendered it all banal wallpaper. Thanks to our sponsors at Verso Books. Check out How Will Capitalism End versobooks.com/books/2519-how-will-capitalism-end Like our show music? Check out Brodsky’s commercial and artistic work at Jeffreybrodsky.com and painterly.bandcamp.com

19 hours ago, Kemper Boyd said:

Anyone ever listen to Hardcore History? I'm years late to the party but I'm listening to the WW1 series now and it's pretty incredible. I kinda wish he'd slow down a bit because there's so much information,  but Carlin is a hell of a broadcaster.  I'm happy that I finally jumped on that train.

I gave it a fair shake a few years ago when one of my friends who generally had good taste in things, though he does get a bit too far into sci-fi and prog rock for me, recommended it. The information seems good, but Carlin's voice drove me up the wall. Maybe I'll revisit it someday. Maybe someone else has had this issue and played with the audio to address this voice.

i can see his voice being a problem - it's certainly unique! History Unplugged is another very good podcast, and the host has a nice voice and seems like a pleasant guy, which is nice. He'll do short episodes around 10 minutes long on topics suggested by listeners (Nobody in the Middle Ages Thought The World Was Flat, the Codpiece - History's Worst Fashion Choice?) and longer episodes (The Battle of Hastings, Understanding Putin through History or something) that are interviews with authors and academics.

On 1/17/2018 at 12:26 PM, Kemper Boyd said:

That podcast rules and his series on WWI is a pretty incredible feat - although the events of that war is so dizzying that it would be tough to comprehend it all even with Carlin’s detailed telling of it. The book The Sleepwalkers might make a good companion piece 

14 hours ago, dunderhead said:

I gave it a fair shake a few years ago when one of my friends who generally had good taste in things, though he does get a bit too far into sci-fi and prog rock for me, recommended it. The information seems good, but Carlin's voice drove me up the wall. Maybe I'll revisit it someday. Maybe someone else has had this issue and played with the audio to address this voice.

lol i don't listen to it but my friend's husband listens to it and she hates his voice :W 

On 1/17/2018 at 1:26 PM, Kemper Boyd said:

Great podcast, there's a bunch of great series in there side from the WW1 batch: Wrath of the Khans (dealing with Genghis and his immediate family), Ghosts of the Ostfront (focusing on the Eastern front in WW2), and Death Throes of the Republic (what happened in Rome to allow Caesar to take over) are all top notch.

As for other history podcasts, I listen to History on Fire (quite a bit on New world/native history) and MartyrMade (mostly just an exploration of the creation of Israel/Palestine and how it came about).