Kindergarten Plop

THE PODCAST THREAD

The Courtney Barnett one was less interesting for me cuz it was mostly just her talking about the inspiration for the lyrics. Which is fine, but yeah, more trivia than technical.  I'm much more interested in hearing the song sort of pulled apart, how the different bits were recorded and layered and all that.  Like the Grimes bit where they're playing the kick part for Kill V Maim and she talks about layering crowd noise in.

Kindergarten Plop likes this

I'd probably rather hear an hour of them going through each part of a song in detail than 15 minutes (6+ of which is advertisements) skipping over it with nonsense trivia stuck in.

Are there actually any good podcast dramas? I've given a few a try, but none seemed that good. I like We're Alive because of how terrible it is, but that Alice Is Dead one got great reviews and it's cack.

That was one of the worst ones I've ever heard! Very poor acting and writing indeed, story that never went anywhere and then it ended. Waste of time.

The Bright Sessions is... fine, in a way. The little gay story was very obvious and poorly done though. The Black Tapes is better, but there's never a conclusion to anything. Why are all these drama podcasts about paranormal things?

Yeah, their accents were terrible! I'll still probably listen when it comes back because the episodes are really short and I'm curious if they can bring things together in even a half satisfying way. So really it is a car crash fascination rather than actual enjoyment.

The paranormal thing is probably because, what the hell is it called, that one with the radio and the weirdo town and, uh, Welcome to Nightvale has a pretty massive audience and they wanna tap in to that advertising dough.

:lol:

They're just a "progressive" liberal podcast, it's just an entertaining rundown of the headlines really. And I'm oddly invested in their personal lives because they talk about their divorce and etc a lot.

I do listen to doughboys with nick "the cuck" wiger :angry: though last week's episode with sean and hayes was the first I've checked out in a while since I haven't really known most of the guests lately

speaking of which I'm excited to listen to today's hollywood handbook, hayes getting pissed at kevin is one of my favorite new running gags and I love the episodes where they focus on trying to help cody

oh man really? tbh it's been in a bit of a lull lately but there have still been some really great episodes, it's just not as week-to-week amazing as it's been in the past. I wasn't crazy about the beck bennett episode either but it doesn't stick out as particularly bad to me. last week's episode was just ok and the episode with beth newell and sarah pappalardo was kinda painful in the wake of the election imo. also wasn't that big on the ryan stanger episode, other than that it's been great though. the adam pally episode was especially fun since it picked up from his first appearance and sean and hayes were acting really antagonistic and goofy in a way that they don't really do as often anymore. I'm excited to listen to today's episode after work tonight because tom's always a great guest, I wish they would have julie klausner on with him more often because they're so funny together. or just have her on more in general, she's hilarious

it's still the only podcast that I'm listening to every week for whatever reason, maybe because it's been my gym listening every tuesday evening

dunderhead likes this

I'm still listening to Citizen Radio almost every day. For a while it was weird and episodes were intermittent because one of the hosts moved across the country. You can still hear a difference in audio quality between the two of them but they've found their footing again and the banter seems to be back to where it was before the change.

55 minutes ago, Heart Space said:

I don't feel like I enjoy it as much as I used to when they used to do long bits just by themselves. With a lot of the new ones they seem to introduce the guest straight away and the guest is pretty much always much less funny than Sean and Hayes

Fully on board with this. Have you gone back to The Reality Show Show? It is fun hearing their dynamic develop and that they've spent less time together this year and when they've been together the guests have come earlier in the episode was a big reason that I've been ok taking a break.

49 minutes ago, Red Ross said:

I am very bored of podcasts at the moment. Very bored indeed. I gave that new Red Ross from Friends drama a go and it's just boring army filth.

I've been there. There have been months where I listen almost exclusively to podcasts and then I get burned out because it will feel like I listened to this person tell the same exact jokes last week, except last week's were funnier. Then the pendulum will swing the other way and I won't listen to a single one for months.

Usually it is good for culling my download list. In the off time I'll realize what I missed and start clicking unsubscribe from the rest.

Kindergarten Plop likes this

What I don't like is the idea of being told two days before Christmas 'Here are the songs, record something now please' because I'd be too busy and it'd be absolute shite. Nobody likes sitting through someone mumbling about absolutely nothing for 90-120 minutes. If it's locked in then I can prepare a few of the auld sketches and audio delights throughout the year to make an entertaining show :)