Kindergarten Plop

THE PODCAST THREAD

1 hour ago, The Coma-man said:

There's nothing interesting about most of them, there's no intrigue or story or anything, it's just someone describing some sick shit they did for the pleasure of the disturbed listeners!

Thinking Sideways is alright for that kind of thing because the subjects aren't all murderers or paedos, although the hosts are annoying a lot of time because they pretend to be experts in things they know nothing about and dismiss things based on that. Like some 45 year old man saying, 'Well, if I was a 16 year old girl living in the 1950s I wouldn't have done that, so I'm going to dismiss that theory.'

I think you're minimizing it based on one podcast

The last one I listened to just followed a mother's obsessive victim complex (or munchausen by proxy) after her daughter's suicide and concocting a huge story that it was actually a superhuman stalker that killed her daughter. She still updates her blog today about the stalker

and a bunch of people believed it! She sounds like an ateaser. Maybe Weird Fishes

Wahdiohead I listened to that one too, it was pretty good. I did like a couple of them. The Jessica Ridgeway one was well done.

I disagree with Spencer in that these really fucked up stories are obviously, inherently fascinating. The way true crime media approaches it varies, though, and most of it is horrible.

I was also going to recommend Thinking Sideways because it's much less sensational and unintentionally hilarious. The problem is that Sword and Scale is really well done and you sacrifice a lot in production value. 

My Favorite Murder is very popular and while I like it, the hosts can be really fucking annoying sometimes. I like it because it mimics my own interests in these stories, just having a morbid and kind of anxiety-driven fascination that I want to talk to people about

I mentioned it elsewhere but the Charles Manson series on You Must Remember This is the gold standard. It's thorough, well done, and didn't dwell on the salacious elements unnecessarily. If she did a spin off podcast on true crime it would be the best thing ever

14 minutes ago, hotrock said:

People have recommended Last Podcast on the Left but I couldn't get it, the hosts seem like genuinely awful people.

agreed, I have a high tolerance for some shitty humor, but they were genuinely unfunny and tried very hard to be funny

1 hour ago, hotrock said:

People have recommended Last Podcast on the Left but I couldn't get it, the hosts seem like genuinely awful people. I listened to their Jonbenet Ramsey episode and it filled me with rage

Have y'all listened to We Hate Movies? For me that's just a much better version of How Did This Get Made

They sound like a load of Guy Fieris.

1 hour ago, Wahdiohead said:

I think you're minimizing it based on one podcast

The last one I listened to just followed a mother's obsessive victim complex (or munchausen by proxy) after her daughter's suicide and concocting a huge story that it was actually a superhuman stalker that killed her daughter. She still updates her blog today about the stalker

and a bunch of people believed it! She sounds like an ateaser. Maybe Weird Fishes

I know about those, but it seems most of these podcasts end up covering the same things in the end. Anything that Sword and Scale idiot touches turns to sensationalised nonsense that he is probably masterbating to! I've heard plobably the first ten and then a couple of random ones.

Serial is kinda coming back. They have their own production company now and have a new series coming in March.  It sounds good.

Production of S-Town began when a man reached out to This American Life bitterly complaining about his small Alabama town. He wanted a reporter to investigate the son of a wealthy family who had allegedly been bragging that he got away with murder. Brian agreed to look into it. But then someone else ended up dead, and another story began to unfold — about a nasty feud, a hunt for hidden treasure and the mysteries of one man’s life.

http://www.vulture.com/2017/02/serial-creators-announce-new-podcast-series.html

ocean likes this

On 2/7/2017 at 1:39 PM, DeafheavenSunbather said:

tried chapo once and found it semi-interesting but way tamer than i was expecting. willing to give it another shot, which recent episode is good?

cum town is all i really listen to. used to listen to the habs eyes on the prize podcast but they stopped doing it

I only started listening a few weeks after the election so I'm not an expert but these were both great iirc, also any of the ones where they read from ben shapiro's novel. I think they've been reigning it in a little bit recently because of how real shit is getting now that trump is in office but I still think it's consistently hilarious. and you just might learn something ;) 

deafheavensunbather likes this

A single mom, who's a spy, loses her spy job, and has to move back in with her dad, Hitler's ghost. He's nice - he's being nice - but his boss is mean. The mom uses her spy powers every episode to embarrass the boss.