Sign in to follow this  
PopTodd

This place is IN A FUCKING FOOD COURT! (now with dinner tasting menu!)

9 minutes ago, mogi_the_original said:

welcome to flavortown

Yeah, Guy Fieri has become an annoying caricature of himself. But I love seeing the places that he goes. And, I would love Hanbun to get that nice big boost in business that would come with an appearance on DDD. The owners are super, incredibly nice people, the food is delicious, and they deserve all the success in the world. That is why I post about it here and on Facebook, and that is why I hope that DDD comes and visits them. Yes, I did suggest them.

They set up a little table in the booth with white tablecloth and nice china, lower the curtain, and we sit and eat right there. It's like having the kitchen table at a 5-star place. Only, it's in a food court booth.

I've been looking forward to this for months. And now, it's almost here!

:jackyes:

dunderhead likes this

While that sounds novel and interesting, I'm a hard pass. When I spend that much on a meal, I'm paying as much for ambiance and service as I am for the food. I can't imagine enjoying a nice meal in a food court with fluorescent lighting and kids screaming in the mall and a curtain around my plastic booth.

7 minutes ago, Do They Know It's pentaChristmas? said:

While that sounds novel and interesting, I'm a hard pass. When I spend that much on a meal, I'm paying as much for ambiance and service as I am for the food. I can't imagine enjoying a nice meal in a food court with fluorescent lighting and kids screaming in the mall and a curtain around my plastic booth.

The table is inside the stall, with a curtain drawn down. And the owners of the stall are some of the nicest, most-knowledgeable people you will ever meet.

Plus, to watch a master like Dave work close-up like that... that is something special.

Also, the "International Mall" where the place is, is not a traditional mall. It's actually the size of a small office building, with the only businesses being Chinese-owned apothecaries, travel agencies and other specialty businesses that cater to a VERY Asian crowd. It's a weird little place. But yeah, the table is set away from the rest of the crowd, as I said. As small as intimate as it gets. But I am sure that your concerns about ambience are still relevant.

And, did you watch the video at the top of the page?

4 minutes ago, PopTodd said:

But I am sure that your concerns about ambience are still relevant.

Your description makes it sounds better than I was thinking, because no, I didn't watch the video, I just jumped in at the end with an uninformed remark. No, that's not sarcasm; when I read "food court," I immediately thought "galleria" and started typing. Oops.

PopTodd likes this

4 minutes ago, Do They Know It's pentaChristmas? said:

Your description makes it sounds better than I was thinking, because no, I didn't watch the video, I just jumped in at the end with an uninformed remark. No, that's not sarcasm; when I read "food court," I immediately thought "galleria" and started typing. Oops.

Well, at lunchtime, you do eat out in the court with the rest of the rabble. But then, that is just the lunch menu, which is cheaper, more-traditional Korean-type fare. (Although not completely traditional; he still tweaks things a little bit.) And that is amazing. I've eaten lunch there many, many times, but this will be my first dinner.

And all the dishes he is shown preparing in the video are lunch dishes.

Dinner should be something else altogether!

28 minutes ago, PopTodd said:

The table is inside the stall, with a curtain drawn down. And the owners of the stall are some of the nicest, most-knowledgeable people you will ever meet.

Plus, to watch a master like Dave work close-up like that... that is something special.

Also, the "International Mall" where the place is, is not a traditional mall. It's actually the size of a small office building, with the only businesses being Chinese-owned apothecaries, travel agencies and other specialty businesses that cater to a VERY Asian crowd. It's a weird little place. But yeah, the table is set away from the rest of the crowd, as I said. As small as intimate as it gets. But I am sure that your concerns about ambience are still relevant.

"On a scale of not Asian to Asian, this crowd came it at VERY."

PopTodd, c.i. and dunderhead like this

1 hour ago, Ploppy New Year said:

"On a scale of not Asian to Asian, this crowd came it at VERY."

I am frequently the only white guy in there. And there are ALWAYS people in there.

37 minutes ago, PopTodd said:

I am frequently the only white guy in there. And there are ALWAYS people in there.

This dumb cafe or whatever it is you keep plugging for some reason seems packed with whities according to that video.

Not that the race of a place's customers has anything to do with the quality or authenticity of the food anyway.

c.i. likes this

42 minutes ago, Ploppy New Year said:

This dumb cafe or whatever it is you keep plugging for some reason

He's excited about getting to go to a new restaurant that people are raving about. I get it. I was the same way when I got reservations to Staplehouse in Atlanta. Although I've got to say that I was a little disappointed in the experience for the same reason I have misgivings about this place: ambiance. The tables at Staplehouse were close together, and the place was very loud. On the other hand, it was some of the best food I've ever put into my mouth, so... :shrug:

ocean likes this

58 minutes ago, Ploppy New Year said:

This dumb cafe or whatever it is you keep plugging for some reason seems packed with whities according to that video.

Not that the race of a place's customers has anything to do with the quality or authenticity of the food anyway.

It's true. Hanbun is the one place in the food court that consistently attracts a non-Asian clientele. They are also the one place there that does not advertise to be "authentic" but rather is the creation of a truly accomplished chef doing his own take on the (authentic) foods that he grew up with. And yes, he has told me that he's gotten some negative feedback from some folks who expected more authentic Korean food.

But he is an artist. 

The food is even better than it looks.

3 minutes ago, c.i. said:

I do think it's a bit funny he's so committed to this running thread about an asian fusion place none of us will ever visit.

but hey, it's pop todd, we love our pop todds

And our PopTodds love you.

Also, if you ever come to the Chicago area, let me know and I'll take you there! (Or wherever their new location is when they get there.)

dunderhead likes this

2 minutes ago, PopTodd said:

It's true. Hanbun is the one place in the food court that consistently attracts a non-Asian clientele. They are also the one place there that does not advertise to be "authentic" but rather is the creation of a truly accomplished chef doing his own take on the (authentic) foods that he grew up with. And yes, he has told me that he's gotten some negative feedback from some folks who expected more authentic Korean food.

But he is an artist. 

The food is even better than it looks.

Do you think you might be... in love with Dave?