Art Vandelay

Big Thief - Capacity

5 hours ago, Mr.Nobody said:

Just got back from seeing these guys. They really put on a fantastic show. The lead singer even treated us to a couple acoustic solo tunes. One of the best shows I've seen in recent months.

just found out they're playing down the street from me in a week, might have to go.

5 hours ago, moose said:

It's fine but aoty? :|

At least it's better than Angel Olsen.

you've really stepped in it this time you big fuck

nah but,  it's certainly not breaking new ground anywhere but it does what it does extraordinarily well and there's a really strong emotional current running through it that is hard to deny. it's perfect in itself. haven't encountered another record I've been so immediately enamored with all year til now.

too far

no but this is fine but its a weird album to round up so many ardent defenders. feel like its one of those team craft type things (which, yes, i often fall for) but the craft isnt even that special

i usually think criticism like this is bad but whenever i hear this i just want to listen to mount moriah instead

which to be fair, isnt anything revolutionary itself, but it does the same thing as this (albeit minus this albums more lo-fi songs, which are kinda pointless anyway?) except a lot better

and dont even get me started on pinegrove

mount moriah seems a lot more polished than this imo, more indebted to like traditional country or sth. gives me a neko vibe and big thief doesn't at all. idk. big thief is slacker rock

one of the biggest appeals of Masterpiece imo is that it sounds like the whole band was just barely bothered to get out of bed to record it. 

4 minutes ago, C.I. said:

one of the biggest appeals of Masterpiece imo is that it sounds like the whole band was just barely bothered to get out of bed to record it

sure, but for me that only holds up for 4/5 listens and then theres little else to care about

which is where im at now

the polish isnt what makes me prefer MM to this, its the general songwriting and performances :shrug: 

13 minutes ago, C.I. said:

more indebted to like traditional country or sth. gives me a neko vibe and big thief doesn't at all. idk. big thief is slacker rock

you edited this in :angry: 

i think its a stretch to say masterpiece isnt indebted to traditional country, even if its played much looser

but w/e. i dont think this is bad and i do really like whichever song has the record player lyric, but im not on the hype train and will make it my mission to let it be known :pah: 

I didn't mean to suggest that Masterpiece wasn't indebted to it, l the title track itself is about as straight up country rock as you can get, but more on the Everybody Knows This is NOwhere end of the spectrum.  

and yeah "paul" is one of the highlights, one of the songs that made me come back initially

2 minutes ago, Eat Shadows said:

Fuck off! If something is similar to what a boarder likes I am interested in their opinion. If it is a house album I'd be interested in CI's opinion, avant - hector or benny, etc. Just like CI suggested this album to me itt. You just decided to be a little bitch to me sometime last year and your childish rebellion is to not listen to any of my earnest suggestions. At this point they are negatively coloring your opinion of the music so I won't do it anymore. 

:lol: 

i decided that after you flipped out when i didnt listen to pinegrove within a week, then didnt like a meme you made for me

pathetic

he took it as a personal snub that i hadnt listened to pinegrove within a week from him recommending it, and said i was hating on it/him when id literally not said a word about it since "ok, ill look out for a copy"

yes, im hanging my hat on exactly when i decided to start acting like a bitch on the internet

c.i. likes this

well regardless, on paper Masterpiece does seem like any old indie rock record but it does a lot of things extremely well imo. there is the aforementioned endearingly roughshod performances, which highlights the sneakily complex songwriting/structures throughout--stuff like 'vegas' and 'animals' doesn't just fall out of your ass. the coda to 'real love' seems like it should be superfluous but somehow it's the most essential part of the song, a bloodletting or sth. I think the singer's phrasing and emoting is perfect, unshowy but a real depth of emotion, and some of the little details filling out the lyrics really do it for me. there are no bad songs on it. in fact there are 12 good songs. 

shakes likes this