kirembri

Arts and Crafts

12 minutes ago, Josh Doody said:

I've probably made this post before but can anyone recommend a nice pen that won't fucking smudge constantly because i was cursed with being a lefty

the gel pens they sell at muji are pretty nice and don't smudge too much but i feel like there's gotta be something better. using a pigma micron pen right now that i found on a diner counter and it feels great to write with but it's smudging more than I'd like. lefties deserve smooth writing utensils too :'(

I don't write a ton but I do keep a journal and would like it to not just be a big notebook of smudges and fingerprints

Not sure if these will smudge, but you could try them out until you find one that doesn't. An individual pen is pretty inexpensive.

Staedtler Pigment Liner - Probably the closest to the feel of a micron. I like micron ink better, but this won't matter if you're just writing. It's a much more reliable pen and doesn't bend as much as a micron tip. Good for lettering

Copic Multiliner - you can refill these

Faber Castell Pitt Artist Pen

Marvy Le Pen Technical Drawing Pens - this one has a wider barrel than the rest and is good for writing, but again, I have no clue how much it will smudge

@Josh Doody I tested some of my pens and this Staedtler Lumocolor (which I didn't mention in the other post I made) didn't smear at all. The others did so forget I wrote anything! 

93ae2d2c69780e28847a63d7a839e3f141.jpg.df82bacdb4bcfd1157ec024d3d52ea15.jpg

The downside is that it will bleed through ordinary paper. Once you start a new journal, perhaps you could get one of these Rendr sketchbooks since they claim to be bleed-proof. I thought about buying one recently so I'll let you know if it works.

13655-2085-3ww-l.jpg.c7aef08211b3323bb376c8350b16f61a.jpg

ocean likes this

On 3/28/2017 at 10:44 AM, Josh Doody said:

fuck, those are awesome

my next "project" for the label thing is a friend's tape that he already made the artwork for, I love the idea and think he pulled it off really well but I'm trying to come up with some kind of handmade element to add to it. it would be cool to keep with the craigslist theme but I'm not sure how to do that without just like...making it gross. I'm toying with the idea of taking blurry phone pics with the flash on for the "product shots" once it's ready to release though.

(ignore the template lines)

DsrjUde.jpg

4HxhTMF.jpg

been thinking a lot about something extra to do with this, I was toying with the idea of wrapping each copy up in crumpled up newspaper but didn't want them all to get grimy. just found a photoshop template for a slipcase to go over the plastic cassette case though so I might crumple up some newspaper and write something dumb on it in sharpie and then scan that and make a slipcase out of it. think if I can get a good scan I could make something that looks pretty cool and also make up for the j-card only having one panel instead of 2 like my other releases do :W 

ocean and ant man bee like this

FullSizeRender.thumb.jpg.5ff4791a16a712fabb82b2b49d9310e5.jpg

from a distance

IMG_3200.JPG.17d4e5a397f25ebd69a635da18110c56.JPG

i used a mapping nib with Dr. Ph. Martin Bombay Teal Ink. That's probably about as small as you want to get the letters before it starts pooling. 

i tried a brush but it didn't work that well (those wavy lines on the far right are from a brush)

another - the words on the right are much cleaner. You just have to take your time with it. 

IMG_3201.thumb.JPG.df8644a90c81af0d6f30f55fd297dbfe.JPG

15 hours ago, Josh Doody said:

oh awesome, thank you for doing all that. that looks really good. I think I'm gonna be going for thicker lines but I'm guessing I can do that with a nib too? I don't know shit about those things

the advantage to nibs is that you can control line weight by applying pressure, but a larger stroke won't work on plastic because the ink would just form into little beads. The same would happen if you brushed it. The plastic just isn't absorbent.

like this:

IMG_3202.thumb.JPG.7f2a7d02ce72f7ee0e14cfd1d93831a6.JPG

unless you can find some kind of blue ink that's tacky enough, then ink is probably out of the question. 

i think if you want to use a brush then your best bet is some kind of paint. maybe you could get a tube of blue acrylic and see if that works. just make sure that it doesn't peel off after it's dry. 

also, another option would to use a white sticker label. i imagine that would make whatever you use adhere much better. if it's a matte surface then ink should work.

cool, maybe I'll go the paint route then if that's gonna be less of a hassle and easier to brush? all that I'm gonna be doing on the tapes themselves is the title (yy) on the front and then the number (/50) on the back, and then on the inserts we might pull the title from the spine and then letter that by hand instead, which would probably look fine either way if it's paper as long as there isn't some goofy finish on it

yeah i have a feeling acrylic paint will work. The brand Liquitex Basic might work and it's inexpensive and you can find it at any art store. If it's too thick then thin it up with some water. You could also try to find good paints used by people who paint miniatures. I'm guessing most of that shit is plastic.

that brush you have might work, but maybe get a few more inexpensive ones so you can test it out. You probably have some good art stores around, but if you have a Michaels nearby then you can get good deals on Winsor and Newton brushes. Just make sure the brush is stiff.

sorry, one more

as for the inserts, if the acrylic doesn't look good on the actual paper, or the lines aren't fine enough, or it causes the paper to buckle then go with ink.

this should do the trick http://www.dickblick.com/products/speedball-sketching-project-set/?clickTracking=true&wmcp=pla&wmcid=items&wmckw=20865-1009&gclid=CLj_munM6NMCFQdMDQodLcULtg#photos You can probably find that at Michaels as well. The just get some blue ink

anyway. Good luck on all that. It's all doable, but will require some experimentation. let me know if you run into problems.

i found this camera, i think it's in perfect condition ,just need to order regular 90s era film on amazon or something. 

49DCDF98-14ED-4BD5-9233-CE908AF3254A.thumb.JPG.00f3b234c21593803aa301226a979a9b.JPG

but for photography people, is this a decent camera? is the lense the most expensive part? like, could i just replace the film console for a digital one? sorry if these are insanely stupid questions, i'm green when it comes to this stuff!

anybody know a decent site to order photo prints from? doesn't have to be super pro quality, just looking for a step up from like, snapfish or whatever. I took a photo of my grandma last time I was home that actually came out really great and I'd like to get it printed for my mom and aunt, also it'd be good to know just for future reference in case I wanna get my own stuff printed to hang up 

speaking of tape art, been slowly chipping away at the new ylayali tape recently. decided to just use ink on the inserts and acrylic paint on the tapes, both with a brush. aiming to have everything ready to release in a little under 2 weeks, which should be doable. I just need to finish numbering the tapes and then take some photos of everything

59550f31850e8_2017-06-2120_06_55.thumb.jpg.17d4a7868fa1df4e7db7f766b2a26769.jpg

sam and ant man bee like this

example1.thumb.jpg.bbab1d1cd9fbf992c99f2995582aaa60.jpg

example2.thumb.jpg.bbdaa29d6324553abd9384053427cf4d.jpg

example3.thumb.jpg.2a8c8b393f91533a7c0df7286ed11e1a.jpg

My club night has been dormant a couple of years but we still occasionally put up mixes to Mixcloud and I've given myself a project of making artwork for 12 new mixes for 2018. I want them all to be along a theme and I started at it. These 1st two I'm happy with but the 3rd isnt to my satisfaction yet. I'll just keep chipping away I guess.