Sign in to follow this  
Eliminator

NHL

Another season in the books already! Congrats to the LA Kings on being crowned champions for the second full season in a row. Now we can look forward to next week's draft as well as free agency madness.

Couple of interesting moves that already happened this week with Brad Richards being bought out, the Ducks telling Hiller and Saku Koivu they won't be offered contracts, and the hiring of new head coaches in Carolina and Pittsburgh.

As always, Go Flyers!!

Guest Eat Shadows

Any predictions as far as the Flyers draft? I'm hoping the Stars can land Fiala, another high upside scorer. We can take the risk right now and need more elite scoring prospects to go with our depth. Ritchie falling would be a dream, but I think Phonix takes him. There is also a possibility the pick is moved for a 2nd line center. If not I hope we can get Kadri (seriously). Fiala though :o

I envision a very fast Dallas Stars team in the near future.

Stars are only going to get better IMO - this year was a huge step for a lot of the guys on their roster. They won't be a top western conference team in the coming year but I fully expect them to make the playoffs again, difficult division be damned!

Have no idea what to expect as far as drafting goes for the flyers - I know next to nothing about the prospects :D. They pick at #17, I'm guessing they go with a winger but that's baseless conjecture. A draft panel comprised of guys who work for the Edmonton Oilers predicted that the Flyers would trade for the #1 pick but I doubt that happens. I'll be at the draft so I'm kinda hoping they make a crazy trade that won't be completely detrimental to the future of the franchise :lol:.

Also forgot to add in the OP that the Capitals and Blackhawks will face each other in the 2015 Winter Classic; venue still to be determined. Woo!

I think Florida ends up keeping the 1st overall. It makes all the sense in the world to me for the Oilers to move up from 3 but I don't think MacT has the balls. Swap the 3rd and Nail for Ekblad? No one can match that offer. That would put the Oilers on track to look absolutely filthy in the next few years. Again, I'm not so sure it would happen.

I'd love for the Flyers to move up from 17 but for it to be worth it I think they need to get into the top 7. And I think that could get real pricey. I love love love everything I've seen from Nick Ritchie. That would be the guy I would pull the trigger on a trade to take. He is shooting up draft board lately tho, he could be gone by 6.

I'm expect the Flyers to stand pat though. I'm looking at Kemp, Kapanen, Milano, Tuch, Barbasev. Obviously I think the Flyers are going to go winger. They need to tbh. The absolute last thing I want to see them do is take Dylan Larkin. Nothing against the kid. It's just that it's such the predictable thing for the Flyers to do. He's this years "Mike Richards type player" and I'm sooooooooo sick of that. We need skill and puck protection on the wing. And we need it badly.

With the use it or lose it buyouts I also expect a ton of movement at the draft. I think James Neal is going to get moved at the draft. I really do. They need to find a way to keep Niskanen and I don't see how else they possibly do it. Look for Hextall to be working the floor too. I think Vinny gets moved before July 1st.

Flyers just traded Scott Hartnell for RJ Umberger. Dunno how to feel about this trade tbh! I like Umberger and felt as though the flyers needed to part ways with Hartnell but I feel the flyers could have gotten more for him. Have to digest the news a bit more before making my mind up about this news.

Guest Eat Shadows

DRAFT DAY!!!

Really hope this one lives up to the hype concerning trades. Probably won't, but one can hope.

Guest Eat Shadows

Wow. Dead thread, need Coward ASAP. All discussion seems to be on v1. Anyways Stars don't get Fiala, but get a high upside Dman in Honka they can wait on. I'm happy.

Dead thread indeed! We need to convert coward, chesty, max powers, Vancouver, Vman, etc.

Word is the flyers were very close to sending Vinny L to the predators today. Hopefully they move him in the coming days, they desperately need the cap space

I want my Ducks blue-line upgrade.  :angry: 

D was their one glaring weakness.  Robidas went elsewhere, and all they've added is Clayton Stoner.  Also, Kesler is a pretty sweet addition as a second-line center.  But, I'm not impressed with Nate Thompson, and they lost Bonino, Perreault, and Koivu down the middle.  Plus, there's no Selanne or goaltending depth with Hiller leaving.

All things considered, I don't think this team is any better than last season.  It's only one day into free-agency, and there's a lot of time, but the West just got a lot tougher in a few hours.

Prediction based on nothing that I came up with while I sat in the dark for an hour and a half while my power was out:

Mike Green to SJ.

After Washington picked up Niskanen and Orpik, they became overloaded with dmen. Green has been rumored trade bait for a while now even before that, I think they might actually be in a position to move him. SJ let Boyle walk, Green could be a decent replacement particularly if he can find his game again. He'd bolster SJ's D and he only has 1 year left on his contract. Washington might have to retain salary and/or take back a contract, but it would give them room to make additional moves to add to their bottom-6 should they choose to, or add at playoff time if they manage to make the playoffs and want to make a big push. Makes sense to me.

Y'all's thoughts?

Prediction based on nothing that I came up with while I sat in the dark for an hour and a half while my power was out:

Mike Green to SJ.

After Washington picked up Niskanen and Orpik, they became overloaded with dmen. Green has been rumored trade bait for a while now even before that, I think they might actually be in a position to move him. SJ let Boyle walk, Green could be a decent replacement particularly if he can find his game again. He'd bolster SJ's D and he only has 1 year left on his contract. Washington might have to retain salary and/or take back a contract, but it would give them room to make additional moves to add to their bottom-6 should they choose to, or add at playoff time if they manage to make the playoffs and want to make a big push. Makes sense to me.

Y'all's thoughts?

After their pathetic bow out of the postseason in april, I'm p surprised the sharks haven't done anything to shake up their roster. I'm of the opinion that mike green is one of the most overrated players in the entire NHL but there's no doubting he would improve an incredibly weak Sharks blue line. The Caps don't have to move Green since they still have a little over a million in cap space, but the general consensus among Caps fans seems to be that Green will likely be moved as a direct consequence of the Orpik/Niskanen signings. They seem opposed to Green being moved but are bracing for a move to happen anyways.

Green seems like a player who needs a change of scenery. If he were moved to SJ it's easy to envision a bounce back season for him with a (still intact) offense that can be downright explosive when they're all performing at the top of their respective games. The new Caps management doesn't really seem to know what they're doing, so I have no idea how to anticipate their handling of Green.

But yeah coward, good prediction on your part

OFFER SHEET HIM HEXTALL!!!!

:TIREDRADIOHEADREFERENCEHERE: :w

Newly-learned info today by me: players in arbitration can't be offer-sheeted.

Actually kinda helps MTL in that case because Subban is gonna get a giant contract anyway, they just might have to overpay a lil bit.  But at least they wont lose him cause there is no way they'll let him go.

Johansen in CBJ is a little more surprising/risky.  Im certainly they'd still match his contract tho, unless a team like Buffalo that is barely in the area of the cap floor decides they want to jump a year or two by hugely overpaying him with an offer sheet.  But they have sufficient centers anyway so limited risk.

I was bored so I attempted to come up with a Flyers trade.  I dont have a great reading on Flyers needs and wants, and it doesnt involve Lecavilier (unfortunately for y'all) but what are thoughts on this:

To PHI:  Patrick Dwyer, Andres Sekarj

To CAR:  Matt Read, Nicklas Grossmann

Maybe a late pick included going one way or the other?

Flyers get a decent shutdown-type dman and a bottom-6er who plays like a good bottom-6er, Carolina gets a more puck-moving dman and vet for the youth there and a bottom-6 guy who can slip into the 2nd line if necessary and put up points regardless of which line he is on.  I could be wrong because I didnt look at the cap hits, but I'd imagine it would give Philly a little more cap space too?

Like I said, it was a boredom thought (like so many I seem to get these days due to being awake overnight due to my late-night shifts) so maybe its junk.  Just trying to start some convo....

Interesting trade proposal coward. That would be a great move for the Flyers from a cap perspective - they'd be exchanging two contracts that total 7.125 million for two that total 3.625 million (which is coincidentally Matt reads contract alone). So it would get the flyers under the cap ceiling while bringing in a pretty solid d-man and a serviceable bottom-6 winger with a very manageable cap hit. I doubt Carolina would go for such a move tho.

Flyers roster will stay pretty much the same until the beginning of October. At this point I won't be surprised if Vinny is on the opening night roster

Let's be honest here, no one has a clue what's going through the minds of Carolina's brass these days. They traded Peters and extended Tlusty and Hainsey and that's about it. When a team that was 6th worst in the league pulls off such minor moves like that after July 1st they are either trying to hit rock bottom (McDavid) or they are run by morons.

Though I suppose if that's the case they still wouldn't make the trade because it would actually help them. Canes fans are getting a mere taste as to what it was like having KLowe as a GM...

Edit: Jacob Markstrom has requested a trade. :lol: What's with the recent audacity of young goaltenders? First Poulin goes to arbitration like he's deserved of a salary boost, and now a 3rd stringer who hasn't come close to his projected potential isn't satisfied with simply being a part of ANY NHL team, particularly in a market overrun with unemployed goalies? Good god...

There's a pretty fair chance of it, although there are still some decent options left in free agency. I could see them taking a chance on Ribeiro. His attitude may be in question, but he'd be cheaper and shorter-term than Lecavilier. And given that, I don't really think it puts Philly in any better a position to wrangle a better deal out of Nashville. But who knows...

Vlad Sobotka took off for the KHL. Got a 3-yr deal from Omsk at $3mil/season. As a big fan of his work with the Blues, this bums me out.

Instead, them Blues have re-signed Steve Ott to

A 2-yr deal, $2.6mil/season.

I think they are going to slot Draisaitl there and hope for the best. :w

It would probably end up being an Arcobello/Draisaitl rotating door at 2/3C. But I don't really like that idea. Make Draisaitl the 3rd line C or winger and get a legit #2, even just short-term (1yr, maybe 2). I still don't understand why Mueller hasn't been explored (I haven't heard anything about it at least). There is speculation that MacT is gonna wait and see which teams have too many C come Sept after camps and then try and get one cheap.

Apparently another option they are looking at for #3C: oilers prospect Bogdan Yakimov. He's a 6'4" steamroller who apparently made big strides this year. I'm hoping he'll at least get a significant pre-season or his 9 games.

Preds sign Derek Roy and Mike Ribeiro.

And the Oilers options for a 2nd center grow thinner and thinner....

A 2nd line center you need???? Boy have the Philadelphia Flyers got just the solution for you!!!! What you're willing to trade involves a price tag we're very likely not willing to pay.

Tyler Ennis re-signs with Buffalo for 5yrs, $23mil.

1st year of the contract Buffalo pays Ennis $7.3mil. His career high is 49pts! :lol:

Likely just a way to reach the cap floor, but still. $7.3mil?!