Sign in to follow this  
Eliminator

NHL

Samesies. My hockey-playing friends have told me I have pretty good hands for someone who has never really played before. If my parents could have afforded hockey when I was younger, maybe it would be me sitting thru arbitration hearings right now instead of hanging out on this dumb board with you shreks!!

Sorry. I didn't mean that :(

Just frustrated by the lack of NHL action....

I also have been told by multiple people that I have "sick mits" and a "wicked good wrister"

Will definitely be joining some sort of local street/deck hockey league in the coming months

All of this reminds me that we need to get Chesty to board here. I wonder how the Clams are doing

8-year extension for Subban in MTL. Got it done before the arbitration ruling came down. Shocker.

I can't believe some people ever thought he was gonna be traded.

Edit: $9mil AAV. Yikers!

Edit2: another big name extended today, but not quite to the same term and cash: Bishop extends with TB, 2x$5.95mil

$1.3mil for Del Zotto on a one-year contract with Philly. If he can rebound to how he played with NYR a few years back, then it's a bargain. If he plays like he did last year.... um...

Sutter was extended in Pittsburgh today as well. 2yrs, $3.3mil AAV

Del Zotto signing is a pretty great move by Hextall all things considered. At this stage of his (still young) career, he's a low risk sign with a decent amount of upside. Asking for him to be a first pairing defenseman is too much to ask for, but slotting him as a second pairing guy isn't too far of a stretch. Then again, the Flyers defensive corps is so bad that Don Cherry could sign a contract with the team and automatically be a second pairing defenseman.

That's all true but if Edm ends up sticking with Arcobello as #2C and the Flyers don't add beyond Del Zotto, and neither situation works out well in the first month or two of next season, it wouldn't surprise me if a deal involving Petry and maybe Couturier or B. Schenn (more likely Schenn) could gain much stronger legs....

37 long-ass fuckin days til the pre-season!!! :fun:

But the fun begins with the Young Stars tournament Sept 12-15 in Penticton, BC (for us northwestern nhl teams at least). Really looking forward to seeing what Draisaitl, Nurse, Klefbom, etc can bring to the table.

Anyone know when/where their nearest Young Stars tourny is happening? Might have to look for live feeds of those to get my fix....

Gagne invited to the B's camp. Never understood how a team didn't pick him up last year. He looked surprisingly good in that second stint with Philly. Not sure how much of a fit he'll be in Boston. I think he needs to play on a more offense-first minded team but we'll see.

Kevin Hayes is a unrestriced free agent at midnight! Who gets him?

Sounds like the Flames have a good shot at Hayes. Gaudreau and another Flames prospect along with Hayes made up a dynamic line in college. Flames are hoping he'll be eager to reunite.

And there is always Florida where his bro plays now after being traded by the Hawks.

Random 3rd guess: Carolina.

Cant beleive the BJs are putting up such a battle over a bridge deal for who is clearly their best player. They might get Johansen to lower his price but would he even want to sign long term after this?

And fwiw it really does sound like the BJs are being cheap as hell. They are 3mil apart per year. I hardly believe Johansen is seeking >7 mil a year, which means Columbus isnt even offering him 4 mil.

Let's not forget there were holdouts by Subban and Benn during arrangements of their deals after the lockout which extended into the season and they ended up signing with those same teams so I don't know that this "mess" is quite what it's being built up to be (not only did Subban sign, but has since re-signed to his long-term contract).

That being said, it is the blue jackets so they probably ought to handle this situation carefully. Still, There is time before training camp and the pre-season and I think they'll get Johansen signed for about $5mil AAV on a bridge deal and then sign him for north of $8mil after that deal ends (provided the cap continues to go up).

Very true. It just seems like in this instance there seems to be no movement coming from either side. My guess is CBJ caves and ups the offer. They cant afford to have a hold out on of that magnitude on their hands.

Apparently Johansen is dead set on a deal that takes him to UFA status and the Jackets want to go a year less. All in all it sounds like Johansen wants out in the long run.

I'd read Johansen wanted either a two-year or four-year deal and CBJ wants 3. My guess is they give him a two-year deal at slightly less than he is wanting and that way both sides compromise something.

Anderson extended 3-yrs in Ottawa.

Looks like we won't be saying the same for Fleury in Pittsburgh. Sounds like the Pens are likely to look toward a different goalie once Fleury's contract expires at the end of next season.

Well, maybe I'm reading into it a bit, but extending him is not on Rutherford's "immediate agenda" and a few other comments in the article make me think his time in Pittburgh is coming to an end. I guess we have a whole year left to find out...

Edit: STL introduced new jerseys! :fun:

....I literally had to look up their other jerseys to tell the difference. "Old school" apparently? :yawn:

What the fuck is this?

:angry:

The NHL is considering expanding by as many as four teams, according to a pair of reports, with Toronto and Quebec City in the mix to land new franchises.

Howard Bloom of Sports Business News tweeted that the league will add four franchises "by 2017" in Toronto, Quebec City, Las Vegas and Seattle.

Bloom added that the NHL would take in $1.4 billion in expansion fees with the deals.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/nhl-expansion-plans-in-the-works-reports-1.2748166

EDIT: Pretty much totally denied by the NHL. Thank pasta.

Other hockey people I follow on twitter said that they hadn't heard anything about 4 teams so I wouldn't put a lot of stock in that. 2 teams seems like a lock at this point. Vegas is apparently a "done deal." Seattle is where the NHL wants the next team but they need a commitment for a new arena first so that's up in the air. QC is next in line after Seattle. Kansas City is a long-shot but still in consideration. Toronto/Markham is way off because of numerous issues they've had with the building of their new arena.

According to what I've read at least.

Toronto is the only market where another NHL team makes a lot of sense.

From what I understand, the Leafs are totally against anything that might cut into their market share. Can't say I blame them. They can continue to put out a shit product year after year and still sell tickets.

"True fans" are idiots. When your team sucks, the best thing you can do is stay home and not watch your team.

Are we doing a fantasy league this year? :unsure:

I'd still like to.

I realize there has been a division of past members between this board and atease and my proposed solution is a message board feature (if available) right on the fantasy site where we can talk shit, propose trades, etc.

I need redemption for Martin St Louis ruining my strong run after his trade to NYR.... :angry: