Sign in to follow this  
Eliminator

NHL

Loved watching the Oilers prospects pull out a 4-3 OT win over the Canucks prospects, but boy was that game a slow sliding scale. Oilers ran the table through the first half, then got put on their heels the 2nd half. And while top Oilers prospects like Draisaitl and Nurse were excellent (as were some lesser-hyped players like Yakimov, Tkachev [however you spell his name], and Moroz), tonight was all about Canucks prospect Hunter Shinkaruk. Dude was EVERYWHERE. Definitely the best player on the ice. If he plays like this the whole tournament, there's no way he is left off the Canucks roster come the start kf the season.

My 3 stars tonight:

1. Shinkaruk (amazing)

2. Lotz (Canucks goalie was a life raft thru 2 periods)

3. Yakimov (most impactful oiler tonight)

Tkachev a beast again.

If the Oilers don't sign him after this tournament, I might have to stop being a fan. Yes, he is small, but he's cool, conditioned, wiley, and a definite scoring threat. I guarantee if the Oil pass on him, a team like the Hawks will pick him up. At the very very least, he is a pocket asset that could add scoring to a 3rd/4th line.

I know you're stupid, KLowe/MacT, but don't fuck this up.....

Top 3 Oilers in the Young Stars tournament:

- Leon Draisaitl

- Bogdan Yakimov

- Vladimir Tkachev

And it turns out Tkachev has earned himself an invite to the main Oilers camp as well, which starts on Friday. I really hope the Oilers don't pull an "Oilers" and pass up the chance to sign him to an entry-level deal. I guarantee that if they pass on him, it'll take about a day for another team to snatch him up. He was really damn good this tournament.

Flyers prospect camp roundup

-Sam Morin shows up to camp at a beastly 6'7" 224lbs. I'll remind you that he just turned 19 two months ago... Hagg says everyone on the ice is afraid of him, even his team mates. Pronger has stayed in contact with him and his advice has been "stay mean".

-Gostisbehere continues to impress (has drawn some pretty stellar comparisons from Terry Maurry. Coffey and Iafrate) His only knock is his size.

-Laughton saying all the right things (especially at the 1:15 mark below). It's going to be a real tough choice for Hextall to decide what he does with Laughton this year.

http://video.flyers.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=630636&catid=771

-Nicolas Aube-Kubel sounding like he might just be the surprise of the camp. Really wowing the coaching staff with his skill apparently. 

-Alt, Hagg, Sanhiem and Petterson all D men getting high marks from the coaches.

Sounds like Berube's first camp is starting off pretty well. This is also the first real good look at our prospect pool since Homer decided to pull his head out of his ass and build an actual team through the draft. They play the Caps prospects @ 3pm tomorrow and I'm skipping out on work to head over to the game. This should be fun.

CBJ GM had some harsh words for Ryan Johansen's agent. And he says once training camp starts, that's where the focus is. On the rest of the team, not on contract negotiations.

I've even saying all along that CBJ will get him signed, and before training camp. This is the first time I've felt unsure about that. $3mil apart with only days to spare. If I'm Johansen, I'm calling my agent to tell him to stop being such an asshole asap...

CBJ GM had some harsh words for Ryan Johansen's agent. And he says once training camp starts, that's where the focus is. On the rest of the team, not on contract negotiations.

I've even saying all along that CBJ will get him signed, and before training camp. This is the first time I've felt unsure about that. $3mil apart with only days to spare. If I'm Johansen, I'm calling my agent to tell him to stop being such an asshole asap...

Apparently CBJ wont go a penny over 3.5mil in their offers while Johansen is open to a long or short term deal, just not at that price point. Jesus, just give the kid a 2 year deal at 5.5 mil per and call it a day. 

EDIT Annnnnnd he's headed home. CBJ won't let him work out with the team so he's leaving. Wow.Don't fuck this up Columbus.

Also, Bobby Ryan reportedly turns down a long term deal with the Sens. Calling it now. Flyers move Andrew MacDonald for picks next offseason, bring up Morin or Ghost, sign Ryan with all that cap room.

According to Bob Mac and his sources, Bobby Ryan didn't reject the long-term offer from Ottawa because one wasn't made. Could just be another baseless rumor. Ottawa has extended a few offers his way, but he hasn't said yes or no to any of them because he wants to see how the season shapes up before he decides on his future. But, fwiw, I also definitely see the Flyers trying hard to sign him.

Josh Harding out for several months with a fractured foot. I guess that means Darcy Kuemper will get his one-way deal after all, huh? Oh, but wait! Instead: Ilya Bryzgalov has been invited to the Wild training camp. :doh:

What are you thinking, Minnesota Wild?

Man, you've really gotta feel for Harding. Guy overcomes MS to starting putting up Vezina numbers last year, then the setback he had with his medication ended his season outta nowhere and now this happens. Yikes.

Sucks for the Wild too. They cant seem to stop the goalie carousel that's been going on there the last few years.

Someone online mentioned the injury came as a result of an altercation with a teammate. Not sure how true that is though...

I thought I saw I post on twitter saying it was an off-ice injury, but not going back to search for it. Either way, yes, Harding has some of the worst luck these days.

This is Backstrom's final contract season, isn't it? If they let him walk at the end of the year, retain Harding, and bring back Kuemper should he dart for the KHL, they'll be much better off. This mashed potatoes pile of goaltenders they've got is basically all that's keeping them from being an elite team these days.

Overhardt/Johansen extended a new 2-yr contract proposal to CBJ. I wonder how much (little) ground will be made from it.

And, in case you haven't heard, Teemu Selanne hates Bruce Beaudreu. Lambastes him in his new biography (Finnish only so far). Turns out, Jonas Hiller agrees with Selanne. He said he didn't feel like he had Beaudreu's support toward the end of his final season.

Edit: ....aaaaaaand CBJ rejects the contract proposal from Overhardt/Johansen. Sigh......

Pains me to say it, but I actually side with Boudreau on this.  Selanne's minutes were being cut last year because he often looked brutal on the ice.  An argument can be made that he was playing poorly as a result of his discontentment (his good play the Olympics being a case in point), but I don't believe it.  He just looked slow and weak, not disengaged.  Similar deal with Hiller, he got outplayed by his backups by a fair margin, and his playing time got cut severely.  Two guys who didn't get the ice time they wanted, so they yell at the coach and shit, the coach doesn't cave to their whining, and the team plays well with them taking a back seat.  It just sounds like bitterness.

I can't really pick a side because we weren't there and didn't hear the whole story. To me it's just wonky to hear Selanne talk bad about anyone, he seems like a genuinely awesome dude who loved and was loved by everybody.

In other news, Darcy Kuemper gave in and agreed to a two-way deal with the Wild. 2yrs, $1.25mil/per. Money was never the issue, he just wanted to be with the big club. Bryz will be at training camp on tryout, but I have a feeling Kuemper can outplay him. That's probably why he was ok with the two-way deal. He'll get his chance to prove himself with Harding sidelined with a broken foot. Speaking of which, Harding has been suspended by the Wild because the injury was not hockey-related. He will go unpaid until it heals and he returns. His poor luck continues. I'm quite interested to hear exactly how he injured himself tho. Rumors seem abound that it was with/toward a teammate, but I'd like to hear the actual story behind it.

They won't trade Johansen. Not unsigned at least. If the shit really hits the fan and Johansen changes his tune and starts saying he wants out of Columbus, then I imagine they'd sign him to what he wants on a bridge deal and then immediately trade him. He's worth more under contract, even if he is being overpaid there is certainly a team that would accept that for 2 years.

But I doubt it comes to that. Johansen has zero leverage. Either he sits for a little while and they eventually come to a decent agreement, or he sits for a long while and risks being ineligible to play at all this year if he's not under contract by dec 1st.

Watching a 14/15 season preview where they made predictions for trophy winners and I'm bored so I'm gonna throw out mine as well. Let's see how I fair by seasons end:

Calder - Kuznetsov

Vezina - Bishop

Norris - Suter

Ross - Crosby

Richard - Stamkos

Good. He's my número uno in the hockey pool!

Oilers shit the bed and then rolled in it and then ate some of it tonight. I'm close to becoming a fully-fledged Blues fan and aborting my Oilers fandom completely. This is getting pathetic...