Sign in to follow this  
Eliminator

NHL

Watch out for the Islanders this year

Coming home from their only West Coast trip here a month into the season on a 3 game winning streak, 

if you can get that done early on you're set up for sure

i'm buying in on tavares, boychuk, frans nielsen, thomas hickey, hamonic, et al.

within the division, isles need to just get in on pit.; they can handle the rangers

I concur! :rock:

I figured the Isles would be better this year, but they're kicking some major ass so far. Fingys crossed it continues all season.

Also: The Blues.

Tarasenko/Lehtera/Schwartz probably the hottest line in the NHL right now. Combined for 8pts tonight. Lehtera would be challenging for the Calder right now if he wasn't too old, he's having a dynamite 1st season. Love it.

Sounds like the whole atease/annex flyers contingent was at the game last night. glad I wasn't there ::2

The ceremony for lindros and leclair was great. Awesome that Renberg and Desjardins were in attendance. I miss the guys from that era of flyers hockey so much

Guest Eat Shadows

Stars are slowly salvaging their season. A loss against the red hot Blue Jackets last night doesn't help though.

You're ignoring the glaring impossible that exists at the mo: the Oilers won.

Not only that, they came back from 3-1 to win in a shootout 5-4. That's monumental for this team.

Game by game it's becoming more and more obvious that Dallas Eakins was one of the worst coaches in Oilers history.....

Isles: weakened lately (esp at home) but still looking like a strong competitor in the playoffs. As insane as it sounds, I feel like Snow should get a GM of the year nod. Halak, plus the Boychuk/Leddy absolute STEALS have paid off huge. He was a train wreck in years past but did wonders this season. Tavares also a strong candidate for the Hart.

NYR: might win it all this year. Their goaltending tandem is tough to beat.

Florida: under the radar. Might make it, might not. If they get to the playoffs it'll likely be a quick exit, but this young team is shaping up to be very solid now that there is some security in net. Also, Ekblad for the Calder. Gaudreau and Forsberg have been great, but a first-year Dman on a middling team putting together the season he has? Forget about it. He deserves it wholeheartedly.

Oilers: not as bad under Nelson as under Eakins (not nearly) but work still to be done. It'll be very very slow work under the current mgmt and scouting staff, but sounds like Katz doesn't really care and will continue to let these idiots draft high and then waste every pick after the 1st round, underdevelop their prospects, and continue to be awful. I predict 6th last next season unless they make 2 major buys: Seabrook (or equivalent) and Jones or Niemi (or equivalent). Gonna have to pay out the nose for both positions. Btw, have a feeling Cam Ward is an Oiler next season instead.

Ducks: I feel like they were better before the deadline and making trades. I think they are a 2nd round playoff exit.

Flames: if they make it, and I'm not so sure they will, they will be a handful. I predict a Kings-esque run that will end in the western final. Still, I think they'll fall just short.

Wild: 2nd round defeat. Dubnyk will continue to steal them games up until that point.

Leafs: say what you will about buffalo and arizona but this is the NHL's most pathetic and disgusting purposeful tank. Since mid-dec they've done their best to absolutely destroy any chance of winning. They fired their coach while in playoff contention, went into free-fall, and then mgmt praised their new coach for working with what he had. They're not even hiding it, they're just making shit up at this point. The Oilers (THE OILERS!!!) actually have a chance to pass them in the rankings and give up 3rd overall. Worst part is that no national sports network acknowledges the disgrace that the leafs are pretending not to be: the most obvious tank in years. The worst part of it all is that I predict the leafs to win the draft lottery. By sheer coincidence, of course. I don't like the leafs, I never have, but when a team in what the fanbase claims to be the "center of the hockey universe" happily nosedives their team like this, it makes me lose a lot of respect for not only for an original six, but also for a league that allows this to go on. And if the leafs actually do win the lottery, with a franchise phenom at hand.... jeez... I really don't know how I'll react. It'll be hard to respect the league for a good while, that's for sure...

Wrote a lot about the leafs. Oops. Haha. That whole thing just pisses me off daily.

Roger Sterling likes this

Wasn't a tank game, and the Oilers didn't necessarily outplay them either, Bachman was just on his game big time. The ice seemed to be a bit of an issue at times as well, and the ref blowing an early whistle after losing sight of the puck (only to have Horcoff put it in the net about a second later, although clearly after even the 2nd blow of the whistle) didn't help. Oilers got some bounces in the 3rd and the Miller rocket-shot on his penalty shot was the highlight in a pretty speedy and fun game to watch. But, hey, Lehtonen couldn't win on the road forever...

I are!!! :rock:

It's a shame that there are 5 Canadian teams in the playoffs and two will be eliminated in the first round due to how the matchups worked out.

I'm hoping the Isles and Blues can go far this year. I have a feeling this is the Rangers year tho....

Guest Eat Shadows

That was a great way to finish the season. They went out with a bang and I can't wait for next year when Benn and Seguin are 1,2 in scoring (assuming they stay healthy). Looking at the last 2 years it seems they are in the elite scoring tier with Crosby, Malkin, Stamkos, Ovechkin and Kane. In fact if you take away secondary assists, Seguin tops Crosby as the highest scoring player in the league over the last 2 years. If you do include secondary assists, only Kane has a higher ppg average than Seguin.

i sorta want to see a subway series but i also wouldn't mind the capitals getting past the second round because i feel bad for their fanbase

do not want rangers to win at any cost. with the bruins out, they are the villains as soon as they beat the penguins for everyone. :september:

I really wish the Caps weren't facing the Isles cuz I'd like to see both teams move on. However, when pressed, I gotta side with the Isles. I want them to go deep this year. Ideal Cup Final for me would be Blues/Isles. Unlikely, but until it's no longer possible, I'll keep hoping.

1-0 Isles in the first. :rock:

Switched to the Hawks/Preds during Isles/Caps intermission. Holy shit are both teams just flying in that game. The pace is insane. Also insane is how the Preds have CHI's number so far. Out working them in pretty much every regard.