Darren Lamb

Food that shouldn't exist

yeah you will get that all the time on recipe sites. I don't think it's strange to alter a recipe to your own liking, but it's great when comments like

"doubled the recipe, cut the salt in half because of my diseases, didn't taste like anything! two stars!!"

show up. 

ocean likes this

Just played a bit of my new game: American Recipe Modification Bingo! Went to foodnetwork.com and clicked on the first recipe I saw. "Vegetable Meatloaf with Balsamic Glaze" (disgusting). First comment: nothing! Second comment: 'I added half an onion to the vegetable medley' :lol: Half an onion! Third comment: 'This was the best meat loaf I have ever tried. I edited it slightly. I added 2 Tbsp of honey to the glaze at the end to pour over the loaf, a half cup of diced onion to the vegetables, and rosemary to the spices. Also made this for the slow cooker. 6 Hours on low, then 1 on warm. Melt in your mouth!' Slightly :lol: Next isn't until comment seven: 'I add sauteed onions and fresh oregano from the garden'. Comment nine: 'Most of the time I omit the bread crumbs. We don't do grains. Also, substitute no sugar catsup. I've also used different veggies and not added the peppers if I don't have them.' Ten: 'I added mushrooms and an onion while omitted the zucchini'. 11: 'I ran out of ketchup so I supplemented it with about a Tbsp tomato sauce with some sugar and white vinegar and it still tasted great.' 12: 'I sautéed sliced onions to add to the topping of ketchup and balsamic. Used fresh hot peppers from my garden instead of pepper flakes.' Can't be bothered with more, it looks like there are hundreds.

I do not understand.

Heart Space likes this

5 minutes ago, Red Ross said:

Just played a bit of my new game: American Recipe Modification Bingo! Went to foodnetwork.com and clicked on the first recipe I saw. "Vegetable Meatloaf with Balsamic Glaze" (disgusting). First comment: nothing! Second comment: 'I added half an onion to the vegetable medley' :lol: Half an onion! Third comment: 'This was the best meat loaf I have ever tried. I edited it slightly. I added 2 Tbsp of honey to the glaze at the end to pour over the loaf, a half cup of diced onion to the vegetables, and rosemary to the spices. Also made this for the slow cooker. 6 Hours on low, then 1 on warm. Melt in your mouth!' Slightly :lol: Next isn't until comment seven: 'I add sauteed onions and fresh oregano from the garden'. Comment nine: 'Most of the time I omit the bread crumbs. We don't do grains. Also, substitute no sugar catsup. I've also used different veggies and not added the peppers if I don't have them.' Ten: 'I added mushrooms and an onion while omitted the zucchini'. 11: 'I ran out of ketchup so I supplemented it with about a Tbsp tomato sauce with some sugar and white vinegar and it still tasted great.' 12: 'I sautéed sliced onions to add to the topping of ketchup and balsamic. Used fresh hot peppers from my garden instead of pepper flakes.' Can't be bothered with more, it looks like there are hundreds.

I do not understand.

I'll do this with a British equivalent just to see. Nut roast on the BBC website. 1: 'I accidentally left out the eggs, and, whilst it still made a loaf that could be sliced, it was a little crumbly.' Idiot, but doesn't count. 3: 'I replaced the egg with 'flax egg'' 4: 'Omitted the eggs and the cheese to make a vegan-friendly version, added courgettes too.' 5: 'I hate celery but I stuck to the recipe' :lol: Very British indeed. Good. That's it, couldn't find any more.

ocean and BEAST like this

4 minutes ago, C.I. said:

people have different preferences, you see

It's not about preferences though, is it? The motivation here is clearly about wanting to deviate from the instructions. Most of the examples you find seem so minimal and pointless that it's obviously nothing more than doing it for the sake of it.

Scorps likes this

15 minutes ago, Red Ross said:

Why don't people in other countries go to restaurants and start making a fuss about getting something that the restaurant isn't offering?

because american food service culture is built around bending to the will of idiots. but that's...not what we're talking about! 

3 minutes ago, C.I. said:

because american food service culture is built around bending to the will of idiots. but that's...not what we're talking about! 

It comes from the same place though. An American can go into a restaurant wanting nothing more than a ham and pineapple pizza, but even if that was literally the only thing on the menu, they wouldn't be happy! They'd order a sausage and pineapple pizza instead and kick up a fuss until they got one. When they're looking at a recipe, they don't like being told what they need to add. Even if they loved nothing more than pecans and they'd looked up a recipe specifically for pecan cookies, they'd plobably swap the pecans for walnuts just to feel satisfied that they'd changed something.

And that is why it is the greatest country on the planet.

1 hour ago, Red Ross said:

It comes from the same place though. An American can go into a restaurant wanting nothing more than a ham and pineapple pizza, but even if that was literally the only thing on the menu, they wouldn't be happy! They'd order a sausage and pineapple pizza instead and kick up a fuss until they got one. When they're looking at a recipe, they don't like being told what they need to add. Even if they loved nothing more than pecans and they'd looked up a recipe specifically for pecan cookies, they'd plobably swap the pecans for walnuts just to feel satisfied that they'd changed something.

Yes

1 hour ago, Red Ross said:

This is is the most ridiculous thing I have ever read.

And I read my own posts, etc

ocean and dunderhead like this

6 hours ago, C.I. said:

yeah you will get that all the time on recipe sites. I don't think it's strange to alter a recipe to your own liking, but it's great when comments like

"doubled the recipe, cut the salt in half because of my diseases, didn't taste like anything! two stars!!"

show up. 

yeah iirc that's basically what i was talking about in the post that he was referencing ::2 

10 hours ago, Red Ross said:

It's not about preferences though, is it? The motivation here is clearly about wanting to deviate from the instructions. Most of the examples you find seem so minimal and pointless that it's obviously nothing more than doing it for the sake of it.

idk maybe with some people. with others i'm sure it really is either down to preference or not having something on hand. some things are so trivial that i don't see the point in advertising them like idk leaving out onions or celery or carrots from a stew and putting some other vegetable in, who cares! but if it's a genuine well i didn't have this one thing so i used this other thing instead, that's at least possibly trying to be helpful. but come on once you've made sweeping modifications there's no point in rating anything good or bad 

8 hours ago, cool tapes said:

red delicious apples make me so mad

and granny smith apples suck too!!!

apple_spectrum.png

c.i., Chernobyl Two, psycho and 1 other like this

10 hours ago, Red Ross said:

Since someone here pointed it out (@ocean?) I keep noticing in the comments on recipe sites how Americans ALWAYS have to modify recipes (just like they always do when ordering in restaurants!). E.g. on that 'salad' one:

• doubled the recipe and at the end added a little milk for a bit more creaminess.
  • Used a little less juice from the pineapple
  • I realized I didn't have any pistachio pudding so I made it with vanilla instead and it was just as good!
  • My family likes it light on the pineapple and juice, and big on marshmallows. Makes it more fluffy.
  • I omit the nuts.
  • I usually make this salad without the pecans,because I think it makes the salad taste better.
  • I make a version with orange jello, small curd cottage cheese, drained crushed pineapple, drained mandarian oranges, and cool whip.
  • I even doubled the recipie (but left out the pecans).
  • First, we use pineapple tidbits instead of the crushed pineapple. And, we use the colored marshmallows instead of the plain white.
  • I had never heard of using pecans so I omit them.
  • We made the salad a little more kid friendly by omitting the nuts and adding a jar of sliced maraschino cherries and two small cans of mandarin oranges
  • I always add a couple drops green food coloring for more color!
  • I also add marachino cherries halved and dropped in last. and pecan or mwalnot pieces ddropped in last.
  • I altered it slightly, by using fat free cool whip, REAL pineapple
  • Also, for added color during the holidays, we add some marachino cherries on top.
  • I would suggest using real whipped cream instead of cool whip, it's much more authentic and tasty!
  • Adding almond slivers to it instead of pecans or walnuts gives it a different taste. Also, I tried marichino cherries and coconut to it for a tropical twist of a taste too!
  • I reread the box recipe and realized where it said add nuts I miss read and thought it said coconut. So all these years been adding coconut.
  • I tweeked the recipe a little. I used the whole tub of Cool-Whip and used 2-8 oz cans undrained crushed pineapple instead of 1-20 oz can. I also added a couple handfuls shredded coconut and a can of DRAINED mandarin orange slices to make it extra tropical.
  • my mom is diabetic so I use sugar free pistachio pudding, pineapple in it's own juice and light cool whip
  • I've also made it with instant banana pudding instead of pistachio and substituted sliced bananas (mixing in right before serving) for the pecans.
  • Sometimes I put in a sweet apple cut up into little squares.

That's in just TWO PAGES... out of 40+ pages of comments!

Even if it's only a very tiny modification to a recipe, they're compelled to do at least SOMETHING. "Well I know it said add a pinch of salt, but I added 3/4 of a pinch."

What an odd little species.

Looked up a couple recipes from the UK and literally every review included the same sort of comments :lol:

http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/980/beef-pot-roast.aspx

Dumb British faqqot

Society & Culture  Cultures & Groups  Other - Cultures & Groups
Next 
Rachel

Why do Americans say 'a couple' instead of 'a couple of'?

I see it on TV shows and even written on forums, comments etc. all the time. For example, they'll say 'I'm just going to pick up a couple things from the supermarket'. 
It doesn't make sense! It should be a couple OF things. Someone please explain!

Answers

Klaus
Because we can kick your *** and we do what we want. Stick to correcting grammar since that is all the UK has going for it these days.