Sign in to follow this  
psycho

Better Call Saul

i think the 1st season of BB undeservedly gets a bad rap as well. I can do without Walt's pants flying out of nowhere in the desert in the opening scene as he drives the RV, but w/e.

That was probably as "over-the-top" as Gilligan ever ventured. That and the twins.

"Handful of Nothin'" -- top 10 episode in the whole series.

Has anyone discussed Michael McKean still? I think his role can really be a good storyline here, and he's by no means a slouch of an actor -- have you fuckers seen a little show called LAVERNE & SHIRLEY?!?!?!  B)

um, tuco >>>>>>>>>> the twins

ah well

yes this is certainly true, in a vaccuum. I think there were more interesting things going on with Saul / Gus / Mike around that time though at the broader scale though. 

and don't get me wrong, Tuco was cool. Tuco-tight.gif

Regarding S1 as a whole though, it was different than the rest of the show ended up being. not better or worse necessarily (though occasionally both), just different. there was more intentional black comedy, and I really enjoyed how it reveled in the minutiae of the whole situation at first.  It was a much smaller story at that point and it was still excellent.

Season one was great, no doubt. My only point was that it isn't so crazy to suggest that the first season of BCS could better than the first season of BB.

I did take umbrage, however, with the suggestion that the new series could somehow top Breaking Bad.

first season of breaking bad is hella underrated imo

there was a lot to chew on for only 7 40 minute episodes

Good call. I agree.

Watched the first season after my car accident when I was basically bedridden for the day afterward and they reran the entire first season marathon-style on AMC. Saw the whole thing in one go and was very intrigued.

Not gonna read any Saul reviews, but am looking forward to it...

really enjoyed it

and i was right about

it being a prequel and a sequel, at least for one scene! love how his "managing a cinnabon in omaha" line became true, maybe a little too on-the-nose but who cares

I fail to see how this "spin off" show wouldn't still be better than most drama/crime shows, maybe even comedies, on TV right now. i dunno, i'm out of the loop. Quality, original stuff

really enjoyed the tone and seemingly simple production of the first episode. and those extreme angle camera shots! haha. I'm hopeful this ramps up and just builds and builds. I think I read on wiki that this first season is 10 episodes but that season 2 has already been renewed with 13 ep's?

:smoke1:

c.i. likes this

the cinematography has been the best part imo. picked up right where the excellent BB directors left off

... but idk if i'm going to stick with this. i don't really have anything negative to say about it, but it still feels like BB Lite rn. kinda thinking I need more time away from this world to feel nostalgia for the original series, at which point i'll binge on this.

tuco is the king, tho

I don't know if enjoying Better Call Saul is going to depend on nostalgia for BB. I did get some BB-lite vibes last night but after both of the first eps were said and done I felt like taken together they were a great way for this series to begin. I think it will take something for this series to differentiate itself (more black comedy would be great imo) in order for it to stand outside the shadows of BB but, I think it showed the potential to do that. 

and yeah tuco ruled in this. saul talking him down from skinning the skater twins alive was really great. .

I don't know if I'm ALL IN for Better Call Saul but I'm definitely going to keep watching it because what the fuck else am I going to do on monday nights. 

John McClane likes this

yeah. honestly I could probably watch bob odenkirk talk all damned day.

another good bit that hasn't mentioned were the clients saul was defending in that opening courtroom scene, where the prosecutor just drags over that big ass TV and is like "gimme a fuckin break"

:lol:

And I was thinking about that scene later, he made a point of saying that "most of the property owner's business is open to the public day and night!"  ...probably referring to an adjacent graveyard.  Literally the best possible spin on the situation.

c.i. and Peach like this