still need to see hard eight

this is so hard for me to rank

1 - the master

2 - there will be blood

3 - boogie nights

4 - punch-drunk love

5 - magnolia

6- hard 8

the first 4 would end up in my top 10 movies of all time tho.  I'm obsessed with PTA and his films

Blood

Magnolia/Punch Drunk

The Master

Boogie Nights

Sydney

The fact that these rankings vary quite wildly from person to person really shows how amazingly strong his body of work is.

The Master

There Will Be Blood

Boogie Nights

Magnolia

Hard Eight

Punch-Drunk Love

The titles in bold would all make my Top 200 films.

I'm not too interested in Inherent Vice tbh. Seems like more of a Coen brothers thing ala Punch-Drunk. We'll see what happens. I guess it's nice to be able to expect something different and light-hearted after the seriousness of Master/Blood.

I would never say it was bad, per se. It just happens to be a showcase of some serious "extreme acting". I'd call it overacting but I know people love that stuff, it's just not for me.

DDL is just so that character dialed up to 11, it's leaping off the screen at me and shaking me and reminding me I'm watching a movie, you know? I like to forget that someone is acting, he's like a caricature.

Hated was perhaps a silly thing to say, though I will say I hated him in Gangs of New York which I thought was a putrid film. :coffee:

I agree with you on Gangs of New York. Wasn't a huge fan myself. There is something about Daniel Plainview that I find ... admirable? Sure, probably not the best character to call admirable but I loved it. Plus he has a great mustache.

His mustache was one of the things that bugged me the most! I love wacky facial hair but I was just like "I'm watching a cartoon villain".

As far as the character and taking the acting out of it, yeah I can understand why people find him admirable even if he's a bit fucked up. I probably would have enjoyed the film a lot if it was just toned down even a little bit. :shrug:

TWBB and Boogie Nights are two of my favorite films ever tbh, the former in particular.

Punch Drunk Love, Magnolia, and The Master are all pretty great too. The Master's story left me feeling a bit empty at the end but was so beautifully executed in terms of acting, cinematography, music, etc. Magnolia loses me with the frogs, if not for that it would be right up there with TWBB and Boogie Nights 

Can't wait for the new one!!

They're two of my favorite working creative people in film, it just seems like such an oddball combination. Knowing nothing about them but their work (and thanks to Wikipedia the fact they're married)