u need to see Boogie Nights imo

On 8/18/2017 at 9:29 AM, James Hell Brooks☠️ said:

Yes boogie nights is a must watch NOW

@ocean

Like watch it tonight 

finally watched it the other day, damn good 

Art Vandelay likes this

6 minutes ago, dark hellish swamp beast said:

love to make my trolls mad by reminding them that inherent vice is way better than there will be blood and the master, never mind his other shlock

having just watched the master/there will be blood I'm actually not opposed to this opinion

beautiful films but very hollow at the core, I think he really improved a lot of what was wrong about there will be blood in the master, but there's simply no real point to either movie

I liked inherent vice when it came out but it didn't overwhelm me bc I was stuck on those beautiful turds, so a reevaluation is in order

his other stuff is hardly shlock tho

let's examine the facts:

inherent vice is one of the funniest, most rewatchable films in recent memory.  extremely satisfying movie by just about every measure.

there will be blood is technically impressive but also kind of a chore to watch.  i've never really 'enjoyed' watching it.

the master is good and thought-provoking and all, though it kind of goes off the rails towards the end. phoenix is great, but better in inherent vice

magnolia is just shit.

haven't seen the rest.  i assume boogie nights is probably good.

Boogie Nights is great. There's nothing wrong with Hard Eight, there's a great cast and it's decent crime drama. Milage will vary with Punch Drunk Love, but it's one of the most beautiful and quirky movies. I'm a Magnolia fan, though.

The guy makes great looking pictures. 

Boogie Nights is a masterpiece. Can't think of many other films that balance drama and comedy so well. He squeezed an amazing performance out of fucking Marky Mark! Plus an all time great soundtrack.

There will be blood isn't something I want to watch all of the time but it's a great story of greed and evil. The master is fascinating but bloated. Punch drunk love good, inherent vice good but a little inscrutable, I need to rewatch 

havent seen magnolia or hard eight yet 

Salem, Peach, Art Vandelay and 1 other like this

There Will be Blood will always be one of my favorite movies for various reasons. I only saw The Master in the theatre once because of the certain time in my life Phoenix's character was too real for me. Apparently PTA is great at making bad characters that I can relate to too much. 

Set in the glamour of 1950’s post-war London, renowned dressmaker Reynolds Woodcock (Daniel Day-Lewis) and his sister Cyril (Lesley Manville) are at the center of British fashion, dressing royalty, movie stars, heiresses, socialites, debutants and dames with the distinct style of The House of Woodcock. Women come and go through Woodcock’s life, providing the confirmed bachelor with inspiration and companionship, until he comes across a young, strong-willed woman, Alma (Vicky Krieps), who soon becomes a fixture in his life as his muse and lover. Once controlled and planned, he finds his carefully tailored life disrupted by love. With his latest film, Paul Thomas Anderson paints an illuminating portrait both of an artist on a creative journey, and the women who keep his world running. Phantom Thread is Paul Thomas Anderson’s eighth movie, and his second collaboration with Daniel Day-Lewis.