Sign in to follow this  
Moon

Thread for Shitty Thinkpieces

Can I just say as a biracial woman with a black father that I am tired of this narrative? On what possible metric are Asian people oppressed? Asian people have higher average incomes, higher levels of education, lower rates of incarceration, better access to healthcare, and fewer instances of police violence then WHITE PEOPLE. Asian people literally outperform WHITE PEOPLE on ALL the metrics.

In what possible way are Asians being thwarted by a society that treats them better than the oppressors are treated?

One thing in particular is that American Airlines video of the Asian passenger being dragged off. I’m a white male, so keep that in mind, but here are the things that first came to mind when I saw that. 

If it was a white dude, that guy would’ve been seen as troublesome, some hillbilly redneck.

If it was a black dude, same thing, troublesome but there would have been more implicit racism/stereotypes with his race, i.e. “look at this black person causing a problem on a plane.”

If it was a hispanic dude, I’d imagine a bit more bias than the white guy, but not as much as the black guy. 

But Asian, hmm, that’s interesting. I think Asian people are perceived to be more law-abiding and smart, but we almost look at them as children, especially the ones who have difficulty speaking English or do so with a large accent. While smart, you kind of think of them as helpless in a way too. So I think for that American Airlines thing, the fact that he was an Asian man, clearly older with a bit of an accent, played very much into that story going so viral, that he was essentially helpless being dragged, because that’s how we perceive Asian people, smart but kind of not street-smart, not able to hold their own in a fight. Whereas if it were a white, black or hispanic person, I think they wouldn’t be seen as helpless but more troublesome.

shakes likes this

4 hours ago, Bill said:

I’m Tired of Watching Brown Men Fall in Love With White Women Onscreen

if you can't tell whether you'd see this on a liberal wesbite or a stormfront affiliate then you have a huge problem

also the movie is autobiographical ffs

Anyway, is brown women falling in love with white men (or women) in media not a thing.

What about everything with Mindy Kaling?

That stupid Priyanka Chopra show?

Pretty much every movie Freida Pinto has been in after Slumdog Millionaire?

Janina Gavankar?

Indira Varma?

Archie Panjabi?

Parminder Nagra?

Shelley Conn?

Noureen DeWulf?

I mean come on

ocean likes this

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jul/28/momentum-video-simplistic-prejudices

Momentum’s video is full of simplistic prejudices and won’t win over anyone

The leftwing campaign group’s dinner-party video has provoked outrage. That’s not surprising: it’s a divisive attack on baby boomers

We don't want to win over thick baby boomers. We want you to die :) 

There’s the guy who sneers at young people who expect a free higher education, when he benefited from one himself. There’s the woman who doesn’t understand their complaints about getting on the property ladder, when she bought her own £1.5m home for £20,000 in 1981. And there’s the son who was employed at an ad agency founded by a father with inherited capital, yet believes, “Nobody ever helped me out.”

If only we didn't see these exact same shite arguments from idiots EVERY FUCKING DAY!

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-05-28/jensen-i-oppose-same-sex-marriage-(and-no,-im-not-a-bigot)/6502850

It will be called marriage, but it won't be marriage as we know it. It won't be "marriage equality": it will be an entirely new thing.

This is where Bill Shorten again misunderstands what marriage is. As we now understand it, marriage is not merely the expression of a love people have for each other. It is, or is intended as, a life-long union between two people who exemplify the biological duality of the human race, with the openness to welcoming children into the world. Even when children do not arrive, the differentiated twoness of marriage indicates its inherent structure.

Now, I didn't pluck this definition from the sky, nor is it simply a piece of religious teaching. It is the meaning of marriage that emerges from all human cultures as they reflect on and experience what it is to be male and female. It is only in the last 15 years that anyone has seriously thought differently.

fOfATL2.png&key=6a8a9068cc29e6afedba38f5

ocean and eeeezypeezy like this