deadlizard

MLB 2017

hmmmm i was all set to celebrate but wp makes a point that comparing regular season records when teams from opposite leagues play such an unbalanced schedule is possibly just as arbitrary so idk

they could get fancy and do the kind of formula that includes strength of schedule/opponent's record, etc but yeah comparing AL to NL will never be entirely fair 

Phoebe Halliwell likes this

4 hours ago, ocean said:

hmmmm i was all set to celebrate but wp makes a point that comparing regular season records when teams from opposite leagues play such an unbalanced schedule is possibly just as arbitrary so idk

they could get fancy and do the kind of formula that includes strength of schedule/opponent's record, etc but yeah comparing AL to NL will never be entirely fair 

The could do like each teams record in interleague play, but I haven't thought it out enough to know if that is a dumb idea

ocean likes this

Man, fuck the Blue Jays. If the re-signed Encarnacion they'd be contenders again, but instead they'll pocket the cash from sell outs, apparel sales, playoff games, and ticket price increases and act like a tram that can't afford to play with the big boys. letting Encarnacion walk and trying to replace him with decent players might finally drive me away from this organization. They're content with mediocrity. 

I dunno about MLB getting rid of the "all star game counting, yada yada yada." I was always against the idea of alternating NL/AL from year to year before it went into effect. Just give it to the team with the better W-L record ffs. Is that what they're doing now? The HF advantage thing has sort of become embedded in the fabric of the game over the last dozen or so years. I guess my point is that this decision kind of shows how MLB can't get its shit together. To get rid of this gimmick now -- a good gimmick, I might say -- kind of takes away the appeal of watching.

Also, I'm against the Holliday signing. It kind of reeks of desperation a bit for the Yankees. One year is fine, but Holliday is now entering his late 30s and I can kind of seeing a lot of his long flys to left getting caught at around the 370 mark. I just don't see his swing generating a lot of production in that ballpark. Maybe i don't watch enough of him, but his swing tends to produce more moon shots than lasers yaknowwhatimsaying. Having said all of that, I'm still hoping the best for him because obviously he's on my team now.

I wish the Yankees still had Beltran, tbh. Kind of hoping he has another monster season for Houston and gets them back in the playoff hunt and solidifies his HOF spot.

nobody cares about the all-star game anyway, it's always more about the home run derby

i don't care about giving the game more stakes, the point is that giving home-field advantage to a team who happens to play on the winning side in an exhibition game with a roster consisting mostly of other teams' players rather than to the team that has the best record over a very long and grueling 162-game season is absolutely asinine

ocean likes this

what if Ortiz came back, and just suffered a kendrys morales type injury at the beginning of his season. remember mariano got injured and fought back to retire on a high note, would papi have it in him?