deadlizard

MLB 2017

i thought raines and bagwell were locks based on how close they were last year. both deserving of course. would have been a real shame to see raines get that close then fall off the ballot.

pudge surprised me but im glad he made it. i really didnt think hed be first ballot, based both on unfounded steroid allegations and the ridiculous "sure hes HOF material, but first ballot? i just dont know..." hand wringing the writers love. i dont think posada makes it (and after that its...veritek? no way) so this basically closes the book on catchers (the position i played) of the era i grew up watching :feels: 

didnt think anyone else had a shot, but hoffman got close. id like to see vlad make it eventually. theres no one else on the ballot (besides the steroid guys) i feel that strongly about either way. maybe mussina, cuz i watched him a lot as a kid.

itll be interesting to see what changes in future years now that ballots will be made public, as well as the ongoing effect of seligs election. i hope bonds and clemens make it together, just to get all the bad takes out of the way in one class.

honestly id vote for schilling, in large part because he was really fucking good at baseball but also because hes so ensconced in this victim persona that actually getting elected might be worse for him than more snubs. i just think the character clause is dumb when its used to keep bonds and the like out, so i have a hard time supporting its use to keep schilling out, as much of a vile weed as he is. at the same time, the hall of fame is certainly a privilege rather than a right and if someones gonna do everything in their own power to shoot themselves in the foot again and again (see also rose, p) i wont shed a tear for them when it works.

but really, ive just always viewed the entire idea of the hall of fame through the lens of "can you tell the history of baseball without _______," because otherwise why have one? schilling is a definite no, you cant. he carried the damn red sox to a world series. the red sox! bonds is a definite no, his name remains synonymous with monstrous production. clemens, no, for the same reason on the other side of the ball. every hall visitor will know each of the players' extracurriculars, and its up to them to decide if or how that changes what they did on the field. i dont think it should be on the voters to make that call.

can it be april already

In an alternate universe where Vlad didn't wreck his knees playing on concrete in Montreal, holy shit.  As is, his numbers were still pretty fucking ridiculous.  I think he's always been underappreciated, first ballot HOF worthy imo.

two players killed in car crashes in the DR on the same day??? :(:( 

and dang, @exxon valdez my bf grew up idolizing Varitek from the time he was at GA Tech where he went to camps and games i guess :tear:  i've mentioned he was also a catcher too i think :') 

why are they getting it? they don't have a new stadium, do they? I was there last year, didn't seem super new.

pitchers and catchers report very soon, get pumped :flail:

Major League Baseball plans on testing a rule change in the lowest levels of the minor leagues this season that automatically would place a runner on second base at the start of extra innings, a distin

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/mlb-plans-to-test-new-extra-innings-rules-in-rookie-ball-with-joe-torres-approval-224914115.html

:atomic:

so dumb.

also, im not in favor of intentionally walking a batter without the pitcher having to throw the ball to the catcher four times.

one of the best parts of baseball is seeing a pitcher overthrow/underthrow the catcher during one of these scenarios, especially with a runner on base.

make the team earn it!

Kemper Boyd likes this

i dont really care euther way about the IBB rule. extra innings gimmicks can get fucked though

meanwhile brian wilson is trying to come back after two tommy johns as a knuckleballer starter :stubborn: 

its a total fluke pitch but it would seem like the odds are better as a reliever. as a starter once the knuckleball is out its out for good, but adjusting to the knuckleball and then back to regular pitching in back to back at bats seems harder? idk, seems like more margin for error as a pitcher

remember ra dickey

did the nats report today? twins reported over the weekend, player led workouts.

I think yesterday was the first day an official workout is allowed to take place

yeah, p's and c's today, the rest on saturday

but from what i gather its literally just that they have to check in, no required baseball shit.

still though, baby steps on the road to a trophy :) 

so uh

jeffrey loria was in talks to sell the marlins to jared kushners brother but then reince nasty got trump to sign off on making loria an ambassador to france (without secretary exxon's approval) and now kushner is backing out

so either trump tried to sweeten the deal for his son in laws brother by offering loria a fancy new job to sell the team, or he had no idea someone in his extended family had a $1.6 billion deal in the works, and blew it for him. 

what a time to be alive

idk the process for that but i saw that trump approved it? cant imagine it takes much more than that

might get dropped if kushner really wants to buy the team but even still, the odds of manfred approving a sale to someone that close to trump now seem slim