Sign in to follow this  
I am a damn ass bunny

the NOG thread

http://www.villagevoice.com/music/charles-mingus-secret-eggnog-recipe-will-knock-you-on-your-ass-6648662

* Separate one egg for one person. Each person gets an egg. 
* Two sugars for each egg, each person.
* One shot of rum, one shot of brandy per person.
* Put all the yolks into one big pan, with some milk.
* That's where the 151 proof rum goes. Put it in gradually or it'll burn the eggs,
* OK. The whites are separate and the cream is separate.
* In another pot- depending on how many people- put in one shot of each, rum and brandy. (This is after you whip your whites and your cream.)
* Pour it over the top of the milk and yolks.
* One teaspoon of sugar. Brandy and rum.
* Actually you mix it all together.
* Yes, a lot of nutmeg. Fresh nutmeg. And stir it up.
* You don't need ice cream unless you've got people coming and you need to keep it cold. Vanilla ice cream. You can use eggnog. I use vanilla ice cream.
* Right, taste for flavor. Bourbon? I use Jamaica Rum in there. Jamaican Rums. Or I'll put rye in it. Scotch. It depends.
See, it depends on how drunk I get while I'm tasting it.

-Charles Mingus

dunderhead, Parrot and ant man bee like this

I've been enjoying aged eggnog for the last two holiday seasons, but I've only been aging it for three to six weeks. Some recipes recommend a full year of aging! I've tried a couple of different recipes that I found online. My favorite tasting one was Alton Brown's recipe, but I thought it could be better with more time. The Rockefeller University recipe is proven safe for long-term aging, so I wanted to get closer to that in ABV and sugar content than the Alton Brown recipe. Here's the hybrid recipe that I made a triple batch of six months ago today to be aged for next holiday season. I pulled it out of the fridge for a mid-year taste test, and it's oh so good already. Can't wait for the holidays to start slurping this stuff down.

The liquor choices were made based on research at proof66.com, looking for good value and cheap price.

IMG_3253.jpg.54f54c464905316aa9d2d1d0fcf2f799.jpg

1 hour ago, eeeezypeezy said:

This is only vaguely nog-adjacent, but a friend of mine gave me a growler of homemade hard cider last night, looking forward to downing it :)

One of these days I'm going to break out my brewing equipment and make a batch of apfelwein.

ocean and eeeezypeezy like this