Ody

What The Fuck Are You Listening To? How Is It? Thirsty?

yeah and I keep seeing like foresty/tribal descriptions associated with it which tbh tends to signal ABORT ABORT ABORT to me but this comes at it without being heavy handed and arrives there in a way that sounds a lot more organic. 

2 hours ago, Roger Sterling said:

nothing, really. it's good for this rainy day too, i just alternate between getting lost in the atmosphere and then suddenly jolting up and listening to the lyrics.

yeah it does a lot without feeling like, all over the place. kind of reminds me of late 90s blur in a way? idk I like it a lot. 

1E525502-5B9A-4B1A-AB24-4ACF43FB0F2A.thumb.jpeg.cd9b7f5ebf01f8734c790a27c0513f81.jpeg

One of today’s purchases. Not amazing but pretty darn good. Not sure it completely outruns the band’s influences but I won’t hold that against it. One track could be an off cut from Big Star’s Third and some of the guitar playing is very Television. 

And I completely forgot David Roback was the reason I was curious about this in the first place, way back when.

PopTodd likes this

Just now, sam said:

1E525502-5B9A-4B1A-AB24-4ACF43FB0F2A.thumb.jpeg.cd9b7f5ebf01f8734c790a27c0513f81.jpeg

One of today’s purchases. Not amazing but pretty darn good. Not sure it completely outruns the band’s influences but I won’t hold that against it. One track could be an off cut from Big Star’s Third and some of the guitar playing is very Television. 

I love that album.

Only heard it for the first time a few years ago and immediately started kicking myself for not having it in my life until now. I think it's great.

Shit and Shine—54 Synth-Brass, 38 Metal Guitar, 65 Cathedral

Texan musician Craig Clouse was probably best known for being in Hammerhead before he left the United States for London, where he gained notoriety with a series of eight confounding noise records as "Shit & Shine" over the course of about five years, including the two masterpieces Ladybird and Jealous of Shit and Shine, ending with 229 2299 : Girls Against Shit in 2009.  After this point I've lost track of his output, as I've come to associate post-2009 Shit and Shine with dancefloor grooves, indiscernible voices, obnoxious keyboards, and brickwalling (exhibit A being 2014's Powder Horn)—not totally divorced from the earlier records in these respects, but kind of blending together in an indistinct fuzzy goop.  The weirdest thing was vurt and Nakkinak becoming big fans of them in this period, during the early days of the annex.  By now though there are twice as many post-2009 Shit and Shine records as there are earlier ones so I'm giving them a serious go, starting with this relatively acclaimed record from 2015.  He made some Sun Ra-esque fusion jazz for his YouTube channel prior to this and it seems like that's rubbed off on this record of garbage keyboard jams.

Powder Horn and Everybody's a Fuckin Expert would be my faves of his. dunno why everyone fawned over Total Shit! like they did, and i didn't like 54 Synth Brass at all. i'm also getting a bit run down with his thing as i haven't heard Some People Really Know How To Live yet.

he also has this irritating thing where the first five seconds are sometimes better than the kitchen sink that ensues

Thomas Andrew Doyle—Incineration Ceremony

A bizarre new chapter in Doyle's career started last year and received almost no attention.  Thomas Andrew Doyle is more commonly known as Tad Doyle, the frontman of the grunge band Tad and a few more obscure sludge metal bands after Tad's breakup.  This album on the other hand sounds like a bombastic work of orchestral music (much of this could appear in a horror film) performed by Tad Doyle on a range of instruments but largely analog synthesiser.  I think I prefer this side of him to that of the grunge rock/metal rocker which I've been more familiar with in the previous 30 years.