Ody

What The Fuck Are You Listening To? How Is It? Thirsty?

I listened to Nixon a few days ago after you mentioned it-- liked it a lot actually, so smooth. "The city makes a hooting sound tonight / the owl on the roof has got it right."  :wub:

looking forward to her next lp regardless.

water

lambchop - nixon

really loving this lately.

so good, found its way into my top 200 (although im feeling less inclined to submit it now obv)

homemade iced coffee + homemade banana bread

antipop vs. matthew shipp

had this on vinyl for years and just now getting around to it, pretty good, much more of a matthew shipp album though

Right, I was expecting darker too (e: @C.I.). This is just chilled out jams. I'd be interested in hearing some darker stuff though if anyone knows where to head next in the catalog. 

so good, found its way into my top 200 (although im feeling less inclined to submit it now obv)

def still submit it, I think all the mods are agreed that we really don't want this forum to detract from the Top Albums Thread-- if that's what you mean.

Loved a few songs from visions but something about it as a whole rubbed me the wrong way

Same. Loved Genesis and Oblivion but the rest just seemed half finished or whatever. Hopefully she delivers this time.

the remainder of the double size cup of tea i thought i wanted three hours ago

black uhuru - anthem

i know next to nothing about reggae beyond legend (and i havent even touched that album in almost a decade) but ive felt soewhat inspired to dig a bit lately. found this on cassette at goodwill a few weeks ago and remembered sfa sampled them in a song so i bought it. enjoying it quite a bit tbh. no clue if this is a well liked album or anything but its already doing a lot to negate my perception that reggae all sounds the same. some really nice guitar work on here. i know its not the most guitar heavy genre, but still. big fan of what is life

the remainder of the double size cup of tea i thought i wanted three hours ago

black uhuru - anthem

i know next to nothing about reggae beyond legend (and i havent even touched that album in almost a decade) but ive felt soewhat inspired to dig a bit lately. found this on cassette at goodwill a few weeks ago and remembered sfa sampled them in a song so i bought it. enjoying it quite a bit tbh. no clue if this is a well liked album or anything but its already doing a lot to negate my perception that reggae all sounds the same. some really nice guitar work on here. i know its not the most guitar heavy genre, but still. big fan of what is life

got some recs, shakes if you really want to dive into some good roots reggae

legend is a best of, and not a great one, instead check out natty dread, catch a fire, or babylon by bus

peter tosh's legalize it and equal rights are pretty essential and in the same vein as marley's stuff

two sevens clash by culture is another classic, and you really cant go wrong with any of their seventies output

burning spear's marcus garvey is generally considered his masterpiece, but the studio one recordings, man in the hills and hail h.i.m are just as good

max romeo's war ina babylon is one, like black uhuru, that you may recognize some samples from, and its also just an awesome record

the congos' heart of the congos is another staple of the roots genre

i dont know as much about the discogs of yabby you and cornell campbell but the comps i have of their stuff are pretty impressive

and for something a little more modern damian "jr gong" marley's welcome to jamrock is a nice bridge between roots and the more modern stuff like dancehall

also if you want to dip your toe into dub, just grab pretty much anything from scratch perry or king tubby, particularly king tubby & soul syndicate's freedom sounds in dub, or this record:

Dr%20Alimantado%20-%201979%20-%20Best%20

Coffee

Unwound - New Plastic Ideas

Great record. I'd call it underrated but all of their records are underrated except for Fake Train and LTIY. The riff in Hexzensene is perfect.

got some recs, shakes if you really want to dive into some good roots reggae

legend is a best of, and not a great one, instead check out natty dread, catch a fire, or babylon by bus

peter tosh's legalize it and equal rights are pretty essential and in the same vein as marley's stuff

two sevens clash by culture is another classic, and you really cant go wrong with any of their seventies output

burning spear's marcus garvey is generally considered his masterpiece, but the studio one recordings, man in the hills and hail h.i.m are just as good

max romeo's war ina babylon is one, like black uhuru, that you may recognize some samples from, and its also just an awesome record

the congos' heart of the congos is another staple of the roots genre

i dont know as much about the discogs of yabby you and cornell campbell but the comps i have of their stuff are pretty impressive

and for something a little more modern damian "jr gong" marley's welcome to jamrock is a nice bridge between roots and the more modern stuff like dancehall

also if you want to dip your toe into dub, just grab pretty much anything from scratch perry or king tubby, particularly king tubby & soul syndicate's freedom sounds in dub, or this record:

Dr%20Alimantado%20-%201979%20-%20Best%20

all good recommendations.  you have to get The Heart Of The Congos though.  lot of folks view it as the best reggae record of all time.  it is my favorite for sure and definitely one of my favorite records period.

would also add Burning Spear's Dry & Heavy.  the first track alone is worth the price of admission.

also check Keith Hudson, Junior Murvin and Augustus Pablo.

been into a bit of roots reggae/dug phase myself recently.

Guest Eat Shadows

lemortvivantnew.jpg

Mix exchange mix, writing my review.

The can is better than the actual beer. :(

water

The Blossom Toes - We are ever so clean.

Light, whimsical english psyche - track titles including 'I'll be Late For Tea' and 'Mrs Murphy's Budgerigar' give a good indication of what your in for. Pretty good but could have done with some of the menace and heaviness of later single Peace Lovin Man..

Water

the new jack white album out of morbid curiosity

Way worse than I imagined tbh. The two tracks he released before the album are definitely highlights, and they were really far from classics.

"Entitlement" is truly embarrassing and probably the worst song he's put to tape. Some old man ranty shit that I didn't think he had in him, even knowing about the black keys feud b.s. This song is somehow even worse than that feud.