Sign in to follow this  
Boofie Brown

The SCIENCE Thread

it said i had to use 3 tags and it seemed like i could only select off of the list of pre-made tags?

and i used it because this can be used as one stop shop for all the discussions related to science - chemistry, biology, physics, astrophotography, astronomy, climate change etc

I don't know much about subatomic particles but I do know that some of our work computers are named after them. They're all named after particles but I think there's molecule and atom so. At first I was confused that there's both lepton and slepton as I hadn't really heard of them

Looking at this britannica article I like the other names for theoretical supersymmetric partners even better: squark, photino, wino, zino, gluino, gravitino

Sand.

clearly you're not anakin skywalker

I named all the lab computers at school after trees, a to z. (well, they only go up to r actually)

this is awesome

There aren't that many computers at work and actually the Linux machine died which I think was lepton, rip

Heresy, burn her.

I tried so hard to save it though :( I mean it didn't die because it was Linux, it died because it's a cheap computer or because the power supply was crap or something I don't fucking know I think my boss said something about setting up a virtual Linux machine at some point for testing but the plain truth is that I have to use whatever OS(s) our customers use and right now there don't seem to be many companies that use Linux to do systems engineering

I was just kidding anyway, it's sort of a running joke with people from atease that I'm fanatical about Linux and Ubuntu and try to win converts with religious fervor and I've just embraced it.

It's just a computer / OS combo, and I don't get why people get so tribal about these allegiances. I'm a Mac person because that's what I know. It's all about familiarity. 

I'll never understand the point of a two-button mouse.

:dance:

did this science thread just turn into yet another pointless (imo) debate on pc vs mac or whatever

:(

its the kind of shit that'd happen all the time at my school and i fucking hate it

that michio kaku quote made me laugh though

im suscribed to a couple of science magazines in french, havent really read the last few, gotta catch up

reading an article on quantic gravity theory at the moment, apparently theyve just discovered primordial gravity waves or something which sort of confirms the validity of this theory and shines a bit of a light on the moments immediately following the big bang. from the little ive read im still not really convinced by, say, the string theory - i think its a little bit too crazy to be exactly accurate but may be only part of a bigger whole cohesive theory or something? anyway this is some pretty hardcore stuff and im scratching my head at most of it

It's just a computer / OS combo, and I don't get why people get so tribal about these allegiances. I'm a Mac person because that's what I know. It's all about familiarity. 

I'll never understand the point of a two-button mouse.

:dance:

oh come ON

seriously now, I like macs but one-button mice are for losers. i don't understand why apple doesn't just make two button mice because if you buy a third-party two-button mouse your user experience is instantly enhanced, so there's no reason not to. I mean sure you can Ctrl + click with a one-button instead of right-click but why would you want to?

http://medicalcenter.osu.edu/mediaroom/releases/pages/new-device-allows-brain-to-bypass-spinal-cord,-move-paralyzed-limbs.aspx

this is seriously incredible. my dad can't walk due to a TBI, I'm looking forward to showing him this later on today. excelsior! :')

amazing!!

I've been getting this magazine ever since issue #1 and it is hands down my favorite magazine and i don't care that I'm 12 years past the age range I never want to stop reading it

http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/e41ed62b

It's not just about science but it's where I get most of my science news that doesn't come from facebook links