Sign in to follow this  
Boofie Brown

The SCIENCE Thread

I get tired of people talking about hydrogen cars, but if this hydrogen cracking works, that'd be pretty amazing. Amazing, too, that that the process is going to take place inside the automobile.

Still think expanding transit and cycling and moving away from personal automobiles is the way to go, though.

Expanding transit and cycling will help, in the urban areas people increasingly live in, but people like the perceived freedom a personal automobile provides.  I think even when self-driving cars are common we won't see a massive transition to on-the-fly car rentals (like a self-driving zipcar) as some have predicted...plenty of people, maybe even most, will still opt to own their own vehicles, even if they never actually pilot it themselves.

Well, I like having my own vehicle, even if it just sits there most of the time.

Which is to say that if people want the freedom owning a car offers, great. But just because you have one doesn't mean you have to drive it everywhere.

Of course, the way a lot of suburbs were designed, especially out west, you pretty much do have to drive an automobile because they clustered shopping centers far from where people live. The suburbs are probably the biggest single waste of money / resources ever. And I'm not even being hyperbolic saying that. People who are into urban planning, which I hope to get into maybe, just can't believe how poorly thought out our communities were when the US fell into its love affair with automobiles in earnest after WWII.

White flight, urban decay, the death of the small business, a lot of this is in part to do with the rearranging of our lifestyle to accommodate the automobile.

Sorry to ramble off topic.

Go science! And hydrogen and stuff!

People with type B blood, on the other hand, build the second floor of the house in a different shape. And people with type O build a single-storey ranch house: they only build the H antigen and go no further.

Lazy as shit O types  :>

Very neat read! And timely as well as I go to give blood plasma again tomorrow (and get my free chai latte thank you very much)

:lol:

I'm O+ and since O is the universal giver I'm supposedly better giving whole blood but they want plasma so idk that's what I do. I assume it's because you can give plasma every two weeks and they don't get enough people doing that on a regular basis. :shrug:

I read about the Bombay type last time I was at the Red Cross! How weird AND scary, imagine not being able to reliably receive blood if there's an emergency and you need it? Imagine if you didn't know you were Bombay and you had an accident and they just gave you O- because that's what they do when they don't know what you are but then that kills you because you can't even take that?

:(

They've asked me to give plasma and I say no. My veins are a little finnicky I've had it not finish in the past so I'm always antsy to only use one arm and not draw it out so I think whole blood is best for me. I've been successful the last like 4 times so maybe I'm fine now but for a while it would stop partway through and they'd wiggle it around and nothing would happen

:spongebob:

I'd donate blood if they'd let me.

They won't let me either! (I probably wouldn't because I'm a horrible person)

Among the many ridiculous reasons to not let you give blood (and I assume yours is one of those, for sure) I visited England for more than a month between the years of like 1990 and 2006 or something and therefore I might have mad cow disease. I mean, they screen for everything anyway. So basically fuck those guys and thank you for giving me an excuse not to bother that lets me stay on my high horse.

That's what so confusing about it. I've never engaged in so-called "risky" behaviour (I'm so boring) but they're going to test my blood for HIV every single time anyway. What's the difference?

Like with Moose, they can just test him once, be like "Oh he doesn't have mad cow disease, put that on his record and let him give" but instead they're like "Nah, we don't want you. By the way, QQ we need more blood guys."