Sign in to follow this  
Boofie Brown

The SCIENCE Thread

Yeah, I sleep with men so I might have AIDS.  Even though I don't have AIDS and they screen for it anyway.

Ugh, that whole thing is so embarrassingly antiquated and offensive.

THEY SCREEN FOR IT!

Fucking homophobic jackass health system.

I just think it's funny that they won't take my blood even though I'm basically the most risk-averse person ever. Not to mention that it's not the '80s anymore  and not all gay men are crazed barebackers with lube and AIDS leaking from their buttholes.

ocean likes this

just scheduled an appointment for next Wednesday. Still wish we got all the goodies some of you be talkin about. Did I hear latte?

Let us know how it goes!

Mine has a little machine that does lattes and stuff, it's fantastic.

It's funny because they specifically tell you to avoid hot drinks and hot showers for a few hours after donating (if you feel faint) but then they have coffee and cappuccinos available in their snack area.

I don't feel bad taking any because with plasma they put room-temperature saline back in my body and I get pretty cold and they bundle me up with blankies and hot pads and it's basically like a spa retreat! (not really)!

just scheduled an appointment for next Wednesday. Still wish we got all the goodies some of you be talkin about. Did I hear latte?

Let us know how it goes!

Mine has a little machine that does lattes and stuff, it's fantastic.

It's funny because they specifically tell you to avoid hot drinks and hot showers for a few hours after donating (if you feel faint) but then they have coffee and cappuccinos available in their snack area.

I don't feel bad taking any because with plasma they put room-temperature saline back in my body and I get pretty cold and they bundle me up with blankies and hot pads and it's basically like a spa retreat! (not really)!haha yeah I'm never doing plasma it's best for me to stick with whole blood. Lady on the phone said I've given 2 gallons all told maybe a little more wow

what makes you say that?

All I see is "WE PETITION THE OBAMA ADMINISTRATION TO: Call On HHS & The FDA To End Their Ban Against Gay & Bisexual Male Blood Donors" which I'm in favor of but doesn't sound like Obama made a statement unless I'm missing something?

Gave blood a few hours ago, went alright.

The first time they checked my iron it was below their threshold which has happened before but they check it twice with a different person if that's the case and the second guy had the touch lol. First test was 12.1, below their 12.5 threshold (higher than the threshold for actual anemia of course), but the second test was 13.3 heh. Normally it's not high enough if I'm on my period or something so normally I don't bother at that time but it's almost starting so I was worried, but I had a burger for dinner last night so. Used to take a supplement just in case but I hadn't been lately so phew.

They almost always take from my left arm, I think the only time they tried the right it was a total failure. This guy checked both to make sure and I asked him what the right one felt like and he was like I couldn't feel it AT ALL. So this is why I just give whole blood cuz I can't fuck with trying to put needles in both arms.

In the past I had a few incidents where it didn't finish but I've been great and fast lately maybe cuz I finally found the sweet spot of how much water to drink, I think I used to forget sometimes. Also I think one time the person sucked and then my vein collapsed after they poked around too much. This guy put it partway in and had to feel again so I was scared, but his methodically surehanded redirect worked and I think he said it was comin out like Saturday, lol idk

Also this time they gave me the remote so I watched futurama cuz I hate the news they always have on yay

In 2010, HHS agreed that the ban on MSM blood donations was “suboptimal”, but kept it in place pending additional research to “create a road map forward”.

"suboptimal " :scarequotes:

really fucking hate language like that

Why do we have blood types?

This is a good read.

This is a good read.

I'm A+.

I've never donated blood! I would though, it just hasn't happened. I've considered selling plasma before but the times I have, I've been too broke for the train fare to get there so the idea cancelled itself out.   :w

moose likes this

It's ok! Was genuinely just confused :thumbsup:

Blood drives were a big thing at my high school even though you had to be 16. Then when I was 15 they made an exception for 15 year olds where you could get permission so I did and I've been giving blood ever since, off and on. I've given more than just that 2+ gallons to the Red Cross though cuz when I was in college I gave to the Rhode Island blood center instead.

My boyfriend also went to my high school and has given even more blood than me cuz he never has problems as he's a big guy with big veins. Hadn't given for a while since he doesn't have a car anymore but I may try to find him a drive near his workplace heh