Sign in to follow this  
lukin?

Hot Sports Tweets / Dumb Sports Comments

to be fair I've heard a pretty convincing argument that a blanket ban or year-long suspension etc for domestic abuse is as much or more of a deterrent against victims speaking out than it is against players being violent in the first place. tricky situation unfortunately.

hoo boy, trevor bauer :lol: 

imagine being a guy who mangled his primary occupational tool playing with a toy during the most important time of the year and then claiming to be one of the smart ones

ocean likes this

not a tweet but http://deadspin.com/candice-wiggins-claims-she-was-bullied-for-being-straig-1792571231

wtf is this :lol: 

“Me being heterosexual and straight, and being vocal in my identity as a straight woman was huge,” Wiggins said. “I would say 98 percent of the women in the WNBA are gay women. It was a conformist type of place. There was a whole different set of rules they (the other players) could apply.

is there literally any way being vocal about identity as a straight person doesnt make someone a complete asswipe

ocean likes this

yea maybe this should just be the thread for when sports personalities say something stupid thread

Tampa Bay Buccaneers quarterback Jameis Winston says he made a "poor word choice" in making stereotypical gender comments during a speech at an elementary school on Wednesday.

While speaking to third- through fifth-graders at Melrose Elementary in St. Petersburg, Florida, Winston called on the male students to stand up while directing the female students to stay seated.

"All my young boys, stand up. The ladies, sit down," Winston said, according to the Tampa Bay Times. "But all my boys, stand up. We strong, right? We strong! We strong, right? All my boys, tell me one time: I can do anything I put my mind to. Now, a lot of boys aren't supposed to be soft-spoken. You know what I'm saying? One day y'all are going to have a very deep voice like this [in deep voice]. One day, you'll have a very, very deep voice.

"But the ladies, they're supposed to be silent, polite, gentle. My men, my men [are] supposed to be strong. I want y'all to tell me what the third rule of life is: I can do anything I put my mind to."

why would you have this probably rapist mong speak to students :facepalm:

ocean likes this

oh yeah I guess I should have posted his lousy explanation

Winston later tried to clarify that he was trying to motivate a particular student without singling him out.

"I was making an effort to interact with a young male in the audience who didn't seem to be paying attention, and I didn't want to single him out, so I asked all the boys to stand up," Winston said, according to the newspaper. "During my talk, I used a poor word choice that may have overshadowed that positive message for some."

i think he's fairly entertaining, p. knowledgeable on basketball, so-so on football. the vast majority of sports talk is obviously inane and shallow, and the alternatives that actually know their stuff can be really bone dry, so there's not a lot of options better than his pods that I'm aware of :shrug:

ocean likes this

i used to like him but i think he's getting worse with time, he's taking his boston homerism schtick too far and it dominates everything he's writing about

he's a very good assembler of writing talent though, especially at grantland

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2017/03/14/a-goalie-convicted-in-the-grisly-murder-of-his-girlfriend-seeks-to-pl/?tid=pm_sports_pop&utm_term=.0f3ade7d72bf

The goalie, known as Bruno in Brazil, was convicted in the torture, murder and dismemberment of his girlfriend, whose body allegedly was fed to his dogs. He was sentenced to 22 years and three months in prison for the 2010 crime, but Bruno was released from jail earlier this month while appealing on a legal technicality. He was then welcomed by Boa Esporte, a second-division club.

“Dude, what happened, happened,” he said in an interview (via the Guardian). “I made a mistake, a serious one, but mistakes happen in life. I’m not a bad guy. People tried to bury my dream because of one mistake, but I asked God for forgiveness, so I’m carrying on with my career, dude.”

what :lol: