16. Actress - AZD
  17. Syd - Fin
  18. Waxahatchee - Out in the Storm
  19. Torres - Three Futures
  20. Kaitlyn Aurelia Smith - The Kid

On 12/27/2017 at 8:08 PM, ocean said:

Final list edited in!!

1. Kesha | Rainbow
Not saying it’s a “perfect album” or that i think every song on it’s own is killer, just that it spoke to me more than anything else this year, and i honestly probably wouldn’t skip a song on it at this point, feels greater than the sum of its parts to me and probably also wins the award for causing me to cry the most (both in the car and at home).

2. The Courtneys | The Courtneys II
Probably tied for most consistent album of the year. The kind of album that goes for a very specific chilled out mood consistent throughout and it is just fucking catchy as hell to boot. One of those nostalgia trips that completely stands on its own merits in 2017. Only saw the end of their set this year so I’m hoping they come back soon!

3. Sheer Mag | Need to Feel Your Love
Probably tied for most consistent album of the year, these people fucking rock out and also ain’t afraid to get political and/or historical with the subject matter. Also finally saw a full set this year and I think they’re still fucking killing it. Hearing about the wave of hype for them on Terminal Boredom back with their first 7”, and then the intense backlash and subsequent two 7”s, was… interesting. But then again a certain local band put out a single a few years ago which had the lyrics “Terminal Boredom suck my cock” if that tells you anything. Feels like they’re both more and less popular now with this first full length album that isn’t a repackaging of 3 EPs. 

4. Charli XCX | Pop 2
Finally starting to see the point of a “mixtape” over an album. Give me all the Charli XCX! 

5. Boy Harsher | Country Girl EP
Amazing ethereally groovin’ duo on local electronic label DKA, seen them a few times at local bars and they don’t disappoint but they REALLY shined on a bigger stage opening for Front 242 a few months ago. The title track on this release is particularly superb. 

6. Nurse | Nurse
Blistering ATL punk. I have been to so many of their shows and watching them grow in members and popularity while keeping the core rhythm section as tight as possible has been such a trip. The vocals by newer member Aaron, added before this record, are more abrasive than the band’s founder and main creative driver Bryan’s were, but Aaron is also more of a showman, making live shows more exciting now, and Bryan’s guitar work is better now too!

7. Kelela | Take Me Apart
Recent annex/generally hyped artist I can really get behind. An Experience.

8. Taylor Swift | Reputation
Oh boy, what a strange ride this album is. Definitely grew on me and I can say I still love pop Taylor even though she hasn’t gotten any less problematic. It’s hilarious to me she is releasing little “making of” videos which I haven’t watched almost any of but seem like a bizarre attempt to prove that she was heavily involved in the creation of these songs and that she isn’t just the mouthpiece she is accused of being for max martin, shellback, antonoff, w/e. 

9. Charly Bliss | Guppy 
Everything hotrock said about it is true. Could see this being higher on my list if i'd heard it sooner/more. 

10. Uniform (ATL) | No Trending
Local punk band I lurve. They’re just called Uniform but there’s another band with an album being voted on that has the same name and is from NYC I think. 

11. Waxahatchee | Out in the Storm
Rethinking this bc after realllly paying attention to the lyrics, this is everything we need in 2017.

12. MUNA | About U
Thanks festive fifty! Whatever dark pop is, i'm here for it. 

13. Dasher | Sodium
Noise rock band featuring songwriting, shout-singing, and bombastic drumming by former ATLien Kylee Kimbrough who at some point in the past few years broke up the lineup she had here and moved back home to Indiana to sort out some personal shit, then reformed the band up there and put out this album with some old and some new songs, fuckin’ love it. 

14. Sylvan Esso | What Now
Really surprised at how much I like this album. It’s kind of weirder than I would have expected without being all that weird, and it has nice variety while still being cohesive. There are some songs I don’t like as much as the others I guess but the really good shit makes up for it imo, and it doesn’t overstay its welcome with too many songs. 

15. Ritual Knife | Hate Invocation
Lovechild of black metal and hardcore punk, featuring members of Slugga and Nurse (among others), you’d never know the vocalist was female unless you went to their show and saw her long dark hair covering her face, perhaps with velvet top and animal tooth pendant necklace. I’ve been there since day 1 and this was never a type of music I was drawn to but these folks make me love it.

16. Charli XCX | Number 1 Angel
Had so much fun spinning this this year! Not the most consistent but I guess as a mixtape it isn’t trying to be, and there is some glorious shit on here.

17. Jesca Hoop | Memories Are Now
Another album that I liked way more than I expected to. Has some filler sure but way more really catchy ideas conveyed in an intriguingly sparse musical style. 

18. Alvvays | Antisocialites
Slept on this band up until Festive Fifty voting time. I’m not sure what kind of staying power or substance they’ll prove to have with me but boy is this shit nice to listen to. Maybe frontloaded but that’s usually influenced by the label tbh.  

19. Wolf Alice | Visions of a Life
Thanks festive fifty! Feel like @Demons Sing Love Songs might like this, which occurred to me while listening to the ~8 minute final (title) track. 

20. Rose Elinor Dougall | Stellular
Not really what I expected, but idk what you can really expect from just a woman’s name. I think in the past I’ve been guilty of lumping together most artists that just go by their full name rather than inventing a moniker, but 2017 was my year to bust out of that cage in my brain. It’s somehow modern yet retro. Feels long though somehow, I think she could have cut some filler, but there are quite a few songs on here I’ll be going back to indefinitely. 

21. Sigrid | Don’t Kill My Vibe EP
22. Run the Jewels | Run the Jewels 3
23. Lil Peep | Come Over When You’re Sober, Pt 1
24. Sneaks | It’s a Myth
25. The Mountain Goats | Goths

26. Maggie Rogers | Now That The Light is Fading
27. Young Thug & Carnage | Young Martha
28. Kaleidoscope | Volume 3
29. Kaleida | Tear the Roots
30. Kitty | Miami Garden Club

31. Allison Crutchfield | Tourist in This Town
32. Princess Nokia | 1992 Deluxe
33. Protomartyr | Relatives in Descent
34. Lil Pump | Lil Pump
35. SZA | Ctrl

36. Big Thief | Capacity
37. Paramore | After Laughter
38. 2 Chainz | Pretty Girls like Trap Music
39. Lana Del Rey | Lust For Life
40. Mac Demarco | This Old Dog

41. Julien Baker | Turn Out the Lights
42. Craig Finn | We All Want the Same Things
43. Young Thug | Beautiful Thugger Girls
44. Kendrick Lamar | DAMN.
45. Surf Curse | Nothing Yet

46. Laura Marling | Semper Femina
47. Julie Byrne | Not Even Happiness
48. Arandel | Aleae
49. The xx | I See You
50. Slowdive | Slowdive

full list:

Reveal hidden contents

1. Kesha | Rainbow

2. The Courtneys | The Courtneys II

3. Sheer Mag | Need to Feel Your Love

4. Charli XCX | Pop 2

5. Boy Harsher | Country Girl EP

6. Nurse | Nurse

7. Kelela | Take Me Apart

8. Taylor Swift | Reputation

9. Charly Bliss | Guppy 

10. Uniform (ATL) | No Trending

11. Waxahatchee | Out in the Storm

12. MUNA | About U

13. Dasher | Sodium

14. Sylvan Esso | What Now

15. Ritual Knife | Hate Invocation

16. Charli XCX | Number 1 Angel

17. Jesca Hoop | Memories Are Now

18. Alvvays | Antisocialites

19. Wolf Alice | Visions of a Life

20. Rose Elinor Dougall | Stellular

21. Sigrid | Don’t Kill My Vibe EP
22. Run the Jewels | Run the Jewels 3
23. Lil Peep | Come Over When You’re Sober, Pt 1
24. Sneaks | It’s a Myth
25. The Mountain Goats | Goths

26. Maggie Rogers | Now That The Light is Fading
27. Young Thug & Carnage | Young Martha
28. Kaleidoscope | Volume 3
29. Kaleida | Tear the Roots
30. Kitty | Miami Garden Club

31. Allison Crutchfield | Tourist in This Town
32. Princess Nokia | 1992 Deluxe
33. Protomartyr | Relatives in Descent
34. Lil Pump | Lil Pump
35. SZA | Ctrl

36. Big Thief | Capacity
37. Paramore | After Laughter
38. 2 Chainz | Pretty Girls like Trap Music
39. Lana Del Rey | Lust For Life
40. Mac Demarco | This Old Dog

41. Julien Baker | Turn Out the Lights
42. Craig Finn | We All Want the Same Things
43. Young Thug | Beautiful Thugger Girls
44. Kendrick Lamar | DAMN.
45. Surf Curse | Nothing Yet

46. Laura Marling | Semper Femina
47. Julie Byrne | Not Even Happiness
48. Arandel | Aleae
49. The xx | I See You
50. Slowdive | Slowdive

filled it out to 50 and may have rearranged the top 20 idk

sorry im a little late, would probably end up changing it a bit if i had another day but i'm cool with this 

pentachris and mnemosyne like this

1. Richard Dawson | Peasant

2. Fleet Foxes | Crack - Up

3. Big Thief | Capacity

4. Slowdive | Slowdive

5. LCD Soundsystem | American Dream

6. King Krule | The OOZ

7. Father John Misty | Pure Comedy

8. Charlotte Gainsbourg | Rest

9. Circuit des Yeux | Reaching For Indigo

10. Algiers | The Underside Of Power

Slapdash but hey at least I made the deadline. 

e: made the formatting make sense.

1 hour ago, Flake(y) "toast" said:

17 | Vaces | Blue Angels

This is an album by a friend of mine that everyone should have voted for. coils is fucking nuts.

ah fuck i forgot to add this to my 2017 playlist i made this list off of 

1 hour ago, Flake(y) "toast" said:

14 | Charli XCX | Number 1 Angel

Redeemed PC Music and it didn't even seem like she was trying that hard on this one. Pop 2 is superior, but I think I still stand by my take that ILY2 is the best song on either mixtape this year, and preceded by Emotional it’s one of the most showstopping back to backs on any album this year.

:rock: spot on 

i forgot the old 97s on my list and dont feel like editing for no reason but it was a reliably good album from a reliably good band, imo. i didnt think theyd live up to most messed up as far as late career releases go but they almost did