Sign in to follow this  
seanlewis

Vegetarian fud

I posted this in the "Recipes Thread" about a year ago. It's vegetarian.

BROCCOLI SLAW*

1 lb. bag of shredded broccoli
1 ripe, large-sized avocado
2 Tb. apple cider vinegar
1 Tb. dijon mustard
1 Tb. orange juice
1 tsp. sugar
1/4 cup crumbled gorgonzola
1/2 cup dried cherries
Salt and pepper to taste

Mash avocado in a large bowl.
Add vinegar, mustard, sugar, and orange juice and whisk all ingredients together until smooth.
Add shredded veggies to mixture and toss until coated.
Add crumbled gorgonzola and dried cherries and toss until well combined.
When plating, garnish with a few dried cherries, if desired.

Total prep time: About 10 minutes.

*all measurements are approximate, as I cook like an old grandma... never measure.

ocean, seanlewis and psycho like this

40 minutes ago, seanlewis said:

Whoa sounds great, I'll give it a go!

On a side note I hate mayo slaws

Mayo slaws are hit and miss with me.

And, let me know what you think of the broccoli slaw, if you make it.

ocean likes this

Chipotle mayo with sweet potato fries changed my relationship with it but otherwise I don't enjoy it. Used to be a little bitch about it and refused to eat sandwiches if it was in there. I've grown up tho, like totally grown. With a mature palette, I know this cuz I started loving olives this past summer

do you brits mix mayo/peanut butter into a sandwich? My grandma slapped that together and that's my first memory of eating mayo and it traumatized me. She eventually had Alzheimer's so I don't know if the pairing was a result of that...

I like mayo. It is nice sometimes.

And I found those burgers that I mentioned before. Actually pretty good. Uncooked they genuinely looked like meat which was a bit worrisome. It kind of was repulsive? But also exciting, I guess.

They cooked quickly and once they are done they looked a lot less meatlike. Almost the same color as a lentil or garbanzo bean burger. The texture was remarkably close to a ground beef patty, though I haven't had meat in like eleven years so grain of salt. 

Tastewise, it was fine. Nothing extraordinary. Pretty standard veggie burger fare. Maybe slightly above average, but I'd rather have the taste a little more vegetable-like and fresher.

I could see something like this going over pretty well with someone on the fence about giving up meat or just starting to cut it out completely.

seanlewis, ocean and Salem like this

as a good & supportive boyfriend, i'll be giving veganism a two-week trial period starting after christmas.  one thing i've found is that smokey flavors automatically make me think i'm eating something meat-like.  any suggestions for getting more 'smoked' flavors into veggie dishes?

Condite, BEAST and dregs like this

14 minutes ago, deafheavensun🅱️ather said:

as a good & supportive boyfriend, i'll be giving veganism a two-week trial period starting after christmas. 

i am also doing this but starting w vegetarian and then working my way to veganism :)

been trying to cook fully vegan meals and they keep turning out tasting like SHITE 

BEAST likes this

On 11/26/2017 at 5:16 PM, deafheavensun🅱️ather said:

as a good & supportive boyfriend, i'll be giving veganism a two-week trial period starting after christmas.  one thing i've found is that smokey flavors automatically make me think i'm eating something meat-like.  any suggestions for getting more 'smoked' flavors into veggie dishes?

try making things with chipotles in adobo, the adobo sauce is pretty smoky to me